Have you tried the "faster" internet plan on Marina or Riviera?

Momnipotent

From what we heard on our recent 45 day Riviera cruise, there is no difference in the speed you will encounter, which in most cases will be very slow since every cabin now has one free unlimited internet account. You just get to stream where others don't. However, from what this person we talked with said, it definitely wasn't worth it.

• 5 months later...

While you’re still home, download what you’d like to watch during your upcoming cruise. So perhaps 2 seasons of a show you’ve been wanting to see.  Then the only internet you’ll need is to connect to your Netflix or prime account.  The streaming will be flawless because the show is downloaded.  I do this before flights too.  Works very well for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robandlil said:

While you’re still home, download what you’d like to watch during your upcoming cruise. So perhaps 2 seasons of a show you’ve been wanting to see.  Then the only internet you’ll need is to connect to your Netflix or prime account.  The streaming will be flawless because the show is downloaded.  I do this before flights too.  Works very well for me.

That's a super idea.  Thanks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robandlil said:

Never tried to download an movie before hand, but I'm curious as to whether you need to have an internet connection at all to watch it once its's downloaded. I thought the purpose was to watch the movie when the internet was not available.  Perhaps you could expand on the constraints on downloaded movies/shows..

Edited by 1985rz1

7 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Never tried to download an movie before hand, but I'm curious as to whether you need to have an internet connection at all to watch it once its's downloaded. I thought the purpose was to watch the movie when the internet was not available.  Perhaps you could expand on the constraints on downloaded movies/shows..

An Internet connection is necessary to watch  a downloaded movie or tv show so that Netflix (or whichever service you are using) can monitor that your subscription still allows viewing of that content.

In this case the advantage to pre-viewing downloading would be that viewing would be seamless, in spite of real-time Internet speed.  

Edited by StanandJim

4 hours ago, StanandJim said:

An Internet connection is necessary to watch  a downloaded movie or tv show so that Netflix (or whichever service you are using) can monitor that your subscription still allows viewing of that content.

In this case the advantage to pre-viewing downloading would be that viewing would be seamless, in spite of real-time Internet speed.  

Interesting I have watched Netflix films/series on planes downloaded to my Ipad when I have most certainly not had internet.

I can state what I do:  I’ve downloaded  a Netflix movie or series while still at home, using the Netflix site onto my iPad.  Then while in the airport just before boarding, or in a hotel or cruise ship with poor quality internet, I go to Netflix, then to my downloaded content and hit play.  It then streams perfectly.

i believe the internet is only needed to get you connected to Netflix as a start.  Because many of the flights I’m on haven’t had internet.  

Edited by robandlil
Spelling

2 hours ago, Darspurs said:

Interesting I have watched Netflix films/series on planes downloaded to my Ipad when I have most certainly not had internet.

Same here. You only need the internet connection to download the content (which is when Netflix would ensure your subscription allows). Once downloaded you only have a limited time (3 weeks I think) to watch it before it expires and you would need to download again. You can open the Netflix app on your ipad anytime without an internet connection and watch any downloaded content.

I watched that entire People vs OJ series flying from Melbourne to Athens last month doing this. Not sure if it made the  23 hours go faster or slower.

Edited by Beagle5

12 hours ago, StanandJim said:

My wife also says no connection needed once you've downloaded content. She watches stuff on a plane or in the car all the time without internet that she has downloaded from both Amazon & Netflix. 

Maybe it used to be that way.

• Thanks 1