Regal or Sky?

Irule7

My family is looking at doing a Caribbean cruise on either Sky Princess or Regal Princess.  They are both the same itinerary, Sky would be $120 more for all of us.  Help me decide!  I’ve been on Royal Princess and Caribbean Princess before.  

I have been on the Regal twice (January 2018/2019) and she is a beautiful ship.  I have booked the Sky for next January just to change it up a little.  She will be all shiny and new.  

I don’t think you can make a mistake.  

One of our favorite spots on the Royal is the aft seating area on the Lido deck.  They put a pool in that area on the Sky.  Not a deal breaker for us but would take the Regal or Royal if given the choice.

I have taken multiple cruises on both the Royal and the Regal.  I have a cruise booked on the Sky only because some friends want to try that ship.  Since I have not been aboard the Sky yet, I can only comment based upon the Sky's deck plans as shown on the Princess website and the Destination Collection atlas for April 2019 - May 2020.  I would pick the Regal or Royal over the Sky solely because of the replacing of Crooners with the Le Mer French Bistro specialty restaurant.  Also, putting a pool in the aft area of Lido deck ruins a great place to relax with a meal from the buffet or just to sit with a drink and watch the wake.

Putting the pool on the aft end of deck 17 on the Regal spoiled what was a great area.  I would prefer the Royal to the Regal for that reason.

Will be on the Sky for her inaugural transatlantic, so I recommend the Sky! I have not been on the Regal, but I hope to on day. I’ve never been on a brand new ship so I’m pretty excited. Looking forward to all of the new tech an innovative features. 

14 hours ago, pshaze said:

One of our favorite spots on the Royal is the aft seating area on the Lido deck.  They put a pool in that area on the Sky.  Not a deal breaker for us but would take the Regal or Royal if given the choice.

You mention Sky's aft pool  lido deck.  That same pool is on CB and other ships.  It is small and there is still plenty of room to sit. Why do you think having the pool on Sky is different?  I really like the wake pool.  It adds ambiance to the entire area.  Enjoy where ever you cruise to

Edited by AF-1
grammer
  • Like 1

We have been on the Royal and Regal and now we want to experience the newest ship. The Sky is our destination for this December cruise. We enjoyed the other ships and we'll enjoy this one too.

The addition of the aft pool on the Regal took nothing away from the aft dining and seating availability.😎

7 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Mom33,  I thought there wasn't aft pool on Regal or Royal

Yes, there is an aft pool on Regal. It is very small and only a dipping pool. The one on the Sky looks a little bigger.

The pool on the Regal is on deck 17 aft

1 minute ago, Mom33 said:

Yes, there is an aft pool on Regal. It is very small and only a dipping pool. The one on the Sky looks a little bigger.

The pool on the Regal is on deck 17 aft

So if it is on Deck 17 can you still acess it from the buffet area?  I have not been on either Royal or Regal.  Sky will be my first big ship with Princess

2 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

So if it is on Deck 17 can you still acess it from the buffet area?  I have not been on either Royal or Regal.  Sky will be my first big ship with Princess

There is a stairway that leads down to 16 where the alfresco dining tables for the buffet and entry to the buffet is. You can see it on the deck plans for Regal. 

They never added the pool to Royal.

The pool appears to be on 16 on the Sky, but it may be on 17. I'll only know for sure when I get on it this December🙃

Thanks Mom33,  we sailed last month on Caribbean Princess and last year on Emerald;  the pool was on deck 16; lido on both ships.  Have a great day; we have Sky booked next year; so will see what the layout brings.  I know by the time I sail; there will be plenty of chatter on these threads about the ship; along with lots of pictures(hopefully lots of pics)

Have a great day

Edited by AF-1

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

You mention Sky's aft pool  lido deck.  That same pool is on CB and other ships.  It is small and there is still plenty of room to sit. Why do you think having the pool on Sky is different?  I really like the wake pool.  It adds ambiance to the entire area.  Enjoy where ever you cruise to

The area on Royal/Regal is a completely covered with nice seating areas and tables to eat at.  We eat every buffet meal sitting out there.  My DH drinks his coffee every morning enjoying the wake view.  It is a nice quiet area all day and out of the sun.  They put the pool on the Sky right in that area.  On the Regal they have a aft pool on the Sun Deck.

On the CB the pool area is tiered and uncovered.  We enjoy the area when we want to use the pool but it’s not always usable when the weather is bad.  Not to mention Princess put the youth center, paddling pool and playground right above it.  It can get noisey when the kids are there.  Never understood why they put it right next to the adult only pool. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Just a personal preference.

20 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Thanks Mom33,  we sailed last month on Caribbean Princess and last year on Emerald;  the pool was on deck 16; lido on both ships.  Have a great day; we have Sky booked next year; so will see what the layout brings.  I know by the time I sail; there will be plenty of chatter on these threads about the ship; along with lots of pictures(hopefully lots of pics)

Have a great day

You 're welcome and you have a good day too.😀

Edited by Mom33

Thanks for all your comments and advice.  I think we’re going to go on the Sky.  Our kids have only been on the Caribbean Princess, so I think going on a brand new ship will be a great experience for them.  

We JUST made the same call.. going with Sky.  Though, it'll cost a few more $$s.  Honestly it's because it's new.  There are some issues that may sway you.  A couple that hit me was that Crooners is gone.  Though we're no big fans of that, we have enjoyed just sitting, chatting and watching from that location throughout a cruise.  I'm surprised they located Le Mer there since one might think the revenue potential would be better with a Crooners type bar.  

Also Club 6 is now a Jazz bar.  Not sure if it will stay that way.

Finally, I thought I noticed that the buffet has been relabeled as World marketplace or something.  We've LOVED the Royal Buffet. I hope the selections are as appealing with this new label/theme.

Enjoy!