Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Cyber Kat

Manhattan Cruise Terminal Debarkation

Recommended Posts

On 4/23/2019 at 11:02 AM, Cyber Kat said:


We used a local company called Limo Express.  They aren't the cheapest, but they are very good and their drivers are all great!

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
8
On 4/23/2019 at 12:15 PM, Cyber Kat said:

Hi all!

We are back from our Azamara cruise.  Boarding was a piece of cake.  We got there a bit earlier than our scheduled check in time.  With a small ship like this there wasn't the usual craziness.  We got a porter right away, and headed into the terminal.  Smiling Azamara people showing us where to go.  Went through security with no issues.  No lines for check in.  Showed our boarding pass, got photos taken (even though we had submitted them online - it's new 😄 ).  They showed us where to sit and we were there about 10 minutes or less.  Didn't have a chance to have juice, coffee or pastries they had set up.  They called us for boarding and in a blink of an eye we were on the ship with a glass of bubbly in our hands!

Our debarkation was THE fastest ever!  We had arranged our own transportation, so we could leave the ship anytime before 9:30am.  Our driver called to let us know he was nearby and asked if we could get off early.  YEP! 🙂

We walked off the ship and there were porters waiting just inside the door.  They asked if they could help.  We asked about schlepping the luggage across 12th Ave.  The porter smiled and said, no problem - we have an in!  He told us to tell our driver to meet us at pier 90 level 2.  We were standing there with our luggage waiting for the car in less than 5 minutes.  We had to run tu keep up 🙂

All the port people up there were friendly and smiling.  No hassles, no issues.  Driver showed up about 10 minutes later and we were on our way home!

So get a porter - it's worth the tip not to have to drag your luggage across the street!

Welcome back!  What a trick with the porters.  I wonder if that would work at Pier 88...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last 3  cruises, I got a porter up debarking....even though  solo with only 2 bags!...It is faster getting through customs AND I always say I have a car pick up and want to go up to second level...they do it (with a "wink and a nod" !) as they really are not supposed to encourage it!!  I always tip the porters accordingly !!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jaja said:

Last 3  cruises, I got a porter up debarking....even though  solo with only 2 bags!...It is faster getting through customs AND I always say I have a car pick up and want to go up to second level...they do it (with a "wink and a nod" !) as they really are not supposed to encourage it!!  I always tip the porters accordingly !!!

 

Yes... we always use a porter and they are normally very helpful in finding a spot where you can be picked up without going across the street. Once in a while we've gotten someone new on the job and we had to tell them where to take our luggage. I actually prefer to get picked up at street level rather than going up to the second level. We usually use a spot that is adjacent to where the trucks turn in to unload the supplies they're delivering . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 7:01 PM, njhorseman said:

Yes... we always use a porter and they are normally very helpful in finding a spot where you can be picked up without going across the street. Once in a while we've gotten someone new on the job and we had to tell them where to take our luggage. I actually prefer to get picked up at street level rather than going up to the second level. We usually use a spot that is adjacent to where the trucks turn in to unload the supplies they're delivering . 

 

This is what I’ve been stressing about.  Should we just wait until the porter takes us outside to call for a service or Uber/Lyft?  We used Dial 7 last time and the porter took us out at street level where the cruise buses were arriving/departing. We called Dial 7 and told them where we were, per the porter, but thirty minutes later there was no driver.  We called back a few times and she kept saying “He’s there!”  We finally found out, 45 minutes after debarking and dragging ourselves with our luggage, across the street to catch a cab to EWR, that he was waiting near that cab stand.  Steam was coming out of my husband’s ears!  So where are the delivery trucks in relation to the departure entry doors?  I remember some port workers yelling at everyone to get out of the way anywhere near those doors.  I DO NOT want to go across the street again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JuneauWhatIMean said:

 

This is what I’ve been stressing about.  Should we just wait until the porter takes us outside to call for a service or Uber/Lyft?  We used Dial 7 last time and the porter took us out at street level where the cruise buses were arriving/departing. We called Dial 7 and told them where we were, per the porter, but thirty minutes later there was no driver.  We called back a few times and she kept saying “He’s there!”  We finally found out, 45 minutes after debarking and dragging ourselves with our luggage, across the street to catch a cab to EWR, that he was waiting near that cab stand.  Steam was coming out of my husband’s ears!  So where are the delivery trucks in relation to the departure entry doors?  I remember some port workers yelling at everyone to get out of the way anywhere near those doors.  I DO NOT want to go across the street again!

As you exit Pier 88 on street level turn left. It's just past the first group of bus stalls. But the large NY City car services are likely not going to pick you up there because they've been told they have to pick up across the street. Uber and Lyft are supposed to pick up across the street too. I get away with it because I use a car service based not far from my home in central NJ and they apparently haven't been told they can't pick up directly at the pier, but some day the police might catch on and refuse to let them in too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2019 at 7:58 PM, njhorseman said:

As you exit Pier 88 on street level turn left. It's just past the first group of bus stalls. But the large NY City car services are likely not going to pick you up there because they've been told they have to pick up across the street. Uber and Lyft are supposed to pick up across the street too. I get away with it because I use a car service based not far from my home in central NJ and they apparently haven't been told they can't pick up directly at the pier, but some day the police might catch on and refuse to let them in too.

Thanks,  NJH.  We got back last Saturday and I picked the most 'New Yahker' porter I could find.  I told him our sitch' and he took us up in the elevator to 2.  He said we could call a car service or use one of the cabs already there.  We went with a cab already there.  Easy peasy!  Thanks so much for your help.  (As always!)  😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2019 at 6:26 PM, arl_nocaps said:

If not using uber what  car service is good for nj -bergen county to nyc

thxs

I use Paramus Limo/Taxi...think services all of Bergen County and more....reliable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...