Dog living on Anthem and peeing everywhere ...

2 hours ago, BNBR said:

I'm definitely punting a dog that is pissing on my 4 year old. I care about my child much more than that dog.

Sheesh, that still would not justify punting an animal - especially a small dog as described, you can remove your child without causing unnecessary harm to the animal!  Shooing is one thing, punting suggests force which perhaps you didn't mean, and would be overstepping.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ryano said:

Unless something has changed in the last few months, I believe they only have to provide that if they are taking the dog off the ship into the ports of call. It would be the specific ports of call that require this.    The cruise line requires nothing that I know of. 

Nothing has changed in the past two years that I have worked at the port.   We are REQUIRED to obtain those records to give to the ship.  Those without the required documents, the dog will be denied boarding.  Most ports require their own documentation if the owner desires to take the dog off the ship.

• Like 3

These tight quarters, it is not fair to people who are allergic. Much like smoking on a plane. Laws were put in place to prevent second hand smoke disease. Cruise lines do not want sick people to come on the ship, will limit pregnant women and if you are found to be sick will quarantine you to your room. Well a dog in a tight spot can cause someone to go into allergic shock, with the throat closing and worst case the person dying in minutes.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Sheesh, that still would not justify punting an animal - especially a small dog as described, you can remove your child without causing unnecessary harm to the animal!  Shooing is one thing, punting suggests force which perhaps you didn't mean, and would be overstepping.

I would hope that you would quote my entire post.. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TTraub1250 said:

Well a dog in a tight spot can cause someone to go into allergic shock, with the throat closing and worst case the person dying in minutes.

Dog allergies don’t cause this type of reaction. 

On 3/23/2019 at 1:53 PM, davekathy said:

Unfortunately your request will never be granted, no matter where you are.  I don't believe those bringing their pets with them even have to prove anything to the cruise lines.  

Ah, that isn't true.   I can't say to Royal but for Carnival and Disney you must go through Special Access department and qualify the dog.  Paperwork has to be filled out.  International Health Certificate with up-to-date vaccinations,  as well as import certificates from various countries may also be required.     

After dealing with a dog on my last cruise - (dirty, lunging, and diarrhea on the carpet in front of a bank of elevators) - my attitude has hardened a bit.  When filling out a survey after the cruise (Celebrity), and giving details of what happened - I actually received a phone call.  For this reason - I am taking the following print out with me when I cruise the Anthem this coming fall.  This is the information from the Royal website  - note the bold under Service Animals is my addition.  Royal needs to follow there own rules - recognizing legitimate Service dogs is important.  Otherwise - RCCL - do what you have written in black and white.

SERVICE ANIMALS.docx

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, crilski said:

recognizing legitimate Service dogs is important.  Otherwise - RCCL - do what you have written in black and white.

SERVICE ANIMALS.docx 13.02 kB · 2 downloads

I have a service dog myself, and I totally agree with you.  The dog needs to be properly trained.  Accidents can happen, but one should NEVER just walk away and not clean up.    There are requirements to be followed and the cruise lines do need to enforce them. 

• Like 1

I had to change my seat once in the dining room, twice in the theater, and had to get off an elevator on my last cruise because of a very strong smell of perfume.  I don't think I'm allergic, but I get a really bad headache.  I don't want to spend my night in the cabin because some decides to douse themselves with perfume.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RickinStl said:

Let me preface this.. I am a veteran with PTSD..   I have two Great Pyrenees and an Aussie Shephard..(They are my "support animals")  I would have punted that dog for "relieving itself on my daughter"  There is no reason at all that a 4 legged creature should be on a Cruise ship.. I don't care if you live on it.. stay for a weeks or whatever.. That is unacceptable.. 

Rick, I quoted your whole post 😉 to say that I completely agree.

• Like 5

As a follower of this topic...it would be curious to see what (if anything) might occur of those concerned about the practice of allowing such animals onboard a cruise ship wrote there positions to the cruise line executive management. 

It might get more attention than vetting those views here...even though it appears clear many of us are not in favor of the practice on a variety of legitimate grounds. Just an observation.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/service-animals

This is a link to the section on the Royal Caribbean (copied from website 3/26/2019) website that addresses service animals.....and to me it has some very off information.

(1) "If the guest chooses to disembark the ship at a port at which the service dog must remain onboard, the guest must make arrangements to ensure that the dog is cared for."   This line from the instructions is senseless.  IF it TRULY was a service animal and NEEDED for the persons well being --  HOW COULD THE DOG BE LEFT BEHIND when the cruiser goes off the ship and into a port city? 

(2) "If you have an animal that does not meet the definition of a service animal (i.e. a dog trained to perform a task) but must accompany you in order to assist you with your disability, please contact our Access Department at least 60 days prior to sailing. "   This line from the instruction opens up a HUGE can of worms.  

I see NOTHING listed on this page, showing that "Emotional Service Animals" will be denied the ability to accompany a cruiser.

I work in an environment where people bring their dogs and personally they should NOT....but I can tell the difference between a real service animal and a pet being taken out by its owner to go with them to run their errands, because the owner doesn't want to leave 'the dog' home alone.

1 hour ago, RickinStl said:

I would hope that you would quote my entire post.. 

I didn't quote yours on this one, I quoted someone else's - and I'm not at all saying the reaction wouldn't be a first thought in the heat of the moment but it won't lead to a good resolution regardless and hurting an animal just doesn't fly, now the owner.... Sigh, yep, can't do that either, heck, as I've said previously, you can't even really get in their face and/or verbally harass them but I'm a hot head typically and my mouth can be my worst enemy in caustic situations.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, parothead said:

i would not be kicking the dog but if it pees on my daughter the owner could be "hitting the deck" 

Yeah that would be my first reaction too but I'm a hot head when provoked (I do try my best to not let it out 🙂 ) and unfortunately, especially concerning this dog and passenger, I don't think anyone would have any recourse if the owner or animal was attacked or threatened.  The high road is hard for me, especially in situations with selfish entitled people as this passenger seems to be from what I read, but removing the child/person from the stream of fire, and immediately stating the facts and reporting it matter of fact will likely yield the best results.  I'm afraid if anyone hit the deck, they'd also be put off at the next port

8 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I was on an unscheduled vacation from CC for a week. Not sure what you mean by “That was the tune a while ago”?  Care to elaborate?

Troy or Rory, it is hard to get sent to time out.

That cat is one ugly critter.

One of the hardest things for us is finding a place / sitter for our dog / dogs and to a lesser degree our cat.  When we have boarded our pets we have returned home to a giant tear in an ear, and smelling like pee, as they are clearly either getting peed on by other dogs or left in a kennel way too long.  

So, we try to find friends that will come to our house, I open the bar and the full TV package for those who come take care of the fur babies.  Wine cellar is generally not offered.  

That said, it is hard to find someone to come do the 3 times a day and a few hours in the evening, so I feel for the little old man with the chihauhua mix.  If he can get away with it, he is doing the best he can with what he has.  That said, I think he is a jerk ingnoring his pets messes.  I know dogs are on ships and if I had a dog and I was retired sailing all of the time, a ship that would let me take my pet would be my favorite.

For those who think dogs don’t search you out to pee on you...  I will say, 20+ years ago, when we bought our first Welsh Terrier, we went to a Welsh Terrier gathering outside of Chicago, the intact males, would litterally line up to pee on everything.  By everything I mean anything they walked up to.  These were in a yard, but because they were all competing to mark their territory they were happy to pee on a tree or a leg.  After about 20 minutes I realized to this pack of silly dogs my leg was a tree. 

I love dogs and to a much lesser degree cats, (they are a million more times nastier than dogs) but I think it is hard to encourage people to sail week after week and if you have to deal with cleaning up a little dog poop pee... well maybe I am not 100% against the old man.  99% for sure.

jc

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

Troy or Rory, it is hard to get sent to time out.

That cat is one ugly critter.

One of the hardest things for us is finding a place / sitter for our dog / dogs and to a lesser degree our cat.  When we have boarded our pets we have returned home to a giant tear in an ear, and smelling like pee, as they are clearly either getting peed on by other dogs or left in a kennel way too long.  

So, we try to find friends that will come to our house, I open the bar and the full TV package for those who come take care of the fur babies.  Wine cellar is generally not offered.  

That said, it is hard to find someone to come do the 3 times a day and a few hours in the evening, so I feel for the little old man with the chihauhua mix.  If he can get away with it, he is doing the best he can with what he has.  That said, I think he is a jerk ingnoring his pets messes.  I know dogs are on ships and if I had a dog and I was retired sailing all of the time, a ship that would let me take my pet would be my favorite.

For those who think dogs don’t search you out to pee on you...  I will say, 20+ years ago, when we bought our first Welsh Terrier, we went to a Welsh Terrier gathering outside of Chicago, the intact males, would litterally line up to pee on everything.  By everything I mean anything they walked up to.  These were in a yard, but because they were all competing to mark their territory they were happy to pee on a tree or a leg.  After about 20 minutes I realized to this pack of silly dogs my leg was a tree. 

I love dogs and to a much lesser degree cats, (they are a million more times nastier than dogs) but I think it is hard to encourage people to sail week after week and if you have to deal with cleaning up a little dog poop pee... well maybe I am not 100% against the old man.  99% for sure.

jc

I only recall hearing from one or two people that the owner was oblivious to the messes Tommy made. Most of the knowledge shared here lately is just opinion

• Like 1

Pathetic really that someone that calls themself a human would kick a dog for peeing on someone. Where the hell are all these dogs that pee on people? More importantly where the hell are the intelligent people that realize a dog does not know that it is offending a human by doing so? Pretty sure that says more about the lack of intelligence and critical thinking ability of the human vs. a dog that is just relieving itself without forethought. 

• Like 4