Medallion ships; cruise cards still required to leave and return?

dcrow72

Hearing from someone on a medallion ship that they are still required to carry both the medallion and a cruise card off of the ship in order to return. I would have thought the medallion would take the place of the cruise card all together and photo id used to re-enter port area?  Anyone with first hand info from Regal or Caribbean cruises that have been doing it for a while? Apparantly folks on the Royal cruise are being told that they must have both a card and medallion.    thanks.  

4 hours ago, dcrow72 said:

Hearing from someone on a medallion ship that they are still required to carry both the medallion and a cruise card off of the ship in order to return. I would have thought the medallion would take the place of the cruise card all together and photo id used to re-enter port area?  Anyone with first hand info from Regal or Caribbean cruises that have been doing it for a while? Apparantly folks on the Royal cruise are being told that they must have both a card and medallion.    thanks.  

We were on the Regal in February.  Our cruise had both the medallion and cruise card.  Never used the cruise card and was told by the IT dept head that our cruise was the last with both.  The next cruise and beyond would be medallion only.

39 minutes ago, ckrcjr said:

We were on the Caribbean Princess a few weeks ago and only used the medallion to get on and off the ship.  No cruise was used at any time.

Same. We are still on the Caribbean and we don't have cruise cards anymore. The medallion is the only thing you need, for absolutely everything. It's great!

1 hour ago, jamminjim said:

When do they send your Medallions?  How many days before the cruise?

I remember receiving our Ocean Medallions 7 days before the cruise. Our cruise cards were given to us by our cabin steward.

We were on the Caribbean Princess in January.

Tony

76A48BDD-6757-4221-BE7C-D0EDC62555DB.jpeg

Edited by Lucky TGO

Has anyone traveled with an infant? My daughter is 15 months. When we ordered the Medallions, she didn't get one because children 3 and under don't get Medallions. How do they check babies on and off the ship? She was on her first cruise at 8 months and had her own cruise card for this purpose. 

I was on the Caribbean Princess in March 2019.  I had both the card and Medallion.  Had to use Medallion for exiting and entering the ship.  The bar crew sometimes used the card to get folio number (account number) instead of the Medallion.

16 hours ago, Kate P.C said:

Same. We are still on the Caribbean and we don't have cruise cards anymore. The medallion is the only thing you need, for absolutely everything. It's great!

Two questions:  Were you offered the option of having a card if you wanted one (I think I'm going to prefer a card since it's much thinner than the Medallions) and did you any problems at port stops showing the Medallion to the PORT security personnel? Thanks...

16 hours ago, antsp said:

Can you request to receive the medallions earlier, say are way 7 days before the cruise starts. 

Go to your Cruise Personalizer.  When the Guest Check-In option has a picture of a Medallion over it, you can request that your Medallion be sent to you.  Our cruise isn't until April 27, and when I tried to order it last week I got a message that they couldn't deliver it to me, and I could pick it up at the port.  Since the cruise is on the Royal, and she's in the midst of converting to it, I suspect they're not sure that all cabins will need one.  Others have gotten theirs a couple of weeks before their cruise.

5 minutes ago, Pamster said:

Go to your Cruise Personalizer.  When the Guest Check-In option has a picture of a Medallion over it, you can request that your Medallion be sent to you.  Our cruise isn't until April 27, and when I tried to order it last week I got a message that they couldn't deliver it to me, and I could pick it up at the port.  Since the cruise is on the Royal, and she's in the midst of converting to it, I suspect they're not sure that all cabins will need one.  Others have gotten theirs a couple of weeks before their cruise.

We're on the same trip. 4/27 April, and just received an Email from Princess saying we could now have the Medallion mailed to us at home. Unfortunately, the fine print said US residents only, so as Canadians we have to pick up the Medallions at the port . Seems that shipping from Singapore to the US is easy, to other parts of the world not so much.

The medallion is a beginning program and so there will be a dual program in the newer OM ships as it is introduced.  Ultimately the cruise card will go away.  The idea of the OM is to replace the cruise card forever.  

11 hours ago, lx200gps said:

We're on the same trip. 4/27 April, and just received an Email from Princess saying we could now have the Medallion mailed to us at home. Unfortunately, the fine print said US residents only, so as Canadians we have to pick up the Medallions at the port . Seems that shipping from Singapore to the US is easy, to other parts of the world not so much.

So only US residents can have the medallions mailed to them?

On 3/24/2019 at 1:45 AM, chinita415 said:

Has anyone traveled with an infant? My daughter is 15 months. When we ordered the Medallions, she didn't get one because children 3 and under don't get Medallions. How do they check babies on and off the ship? She was on her first cruise at 8 months and had her own cruise card for this purpose. 

Just got off the Caribbean.  All little children (babies and toddlers) had a blue bracelet that had an electronic chip on wrist. Also..no cards used anymore, unless you have a pacemaker.

1 hour ago, BRANDEE said:

Just got off the Caribbean.  All little children (babies and toddlers) had a blue bracelet that had an electronic chip on wrist. Also..no cards used anymore, unless you have a pacemaker.

Thanks for the info. Will see how this works on the Royal in a few weeks. Wonder if they stay on. 

On 3/25/2019 at 4:37 AM, lx200gps said:

All I can say is what I quoted from the Princess Email received on the 22nd:

image.png.5a826ece7cdbfd5991a38b664ad2e3ca.png

Good to know that 12 days is the limit. We get off the Star on Nov 4 and will be newly minted elites. We board the Royal on Nov 23rd so we have a few days to make sure that the progress to elite status is recorded and then order the medallions with the correct status showing.