When did Carnival start charging a delivery fee

mafiadon

I ordered something to be delivered to our room and was charged an $8 delivery fee. Was never charged this before and just think this is a little excessive for a fee. I don't mind a few dollars but $8 is a little high, just my opinion and please no bashing telling me I'm cheap, I'm not

You weren't charged a 'delivery' fee.  You were charged for the food.  It is something new.  There are FREE items on the list and CHARGE items on the list.  It's pretty easy to see the difference when ordering.  

And an added FYI, the 'delivery' person does not earn tips from your auto grats.  It is nice to give them something for the service. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CruiseGal999 said:

You weren't charged a 'delivery' fee.  You were charged for the food.  It is something new.  There are FREE items on the list and CHARGE items on the list.  It's pretty easy to see the difference when ordering.  

And an added FYI, the 'delivery' person does not earn tips from your auto grats.  It is nice to give them something for the service. 

I wasn't charged for food as I haven't sailed yet, I ordered something in their gift department, and yes it stated a delivery fee

1 minute ago, joepeka said:

I know they charge an 18% delivery fee on bottled water delivery, I'm not sure about other Fun Shop orders however.

Thanks, I just have never had a delivery fee before and was surprised and wondered when they started. Again thanks again

4 minutes ago, mafiadon said:

Thanks, I just have never had a delivery fee before and was surprised and wondered when they started. Again thanks again

I did a little research and found that Carnival instituted the delivery fee in January of 2018. It does not apply to Fun Shop purchases of Cheers, Bottomless Bubbles, Cruise Cash and internet plans (imagine that...... there's nothing to physically deliver!). Here's a link about Fun Shop gift orders:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1354/~/the-fun-shops-gift-orders

• Like 3

I ordered water for a 6/18 cruise....no fee.  For my upcoming 6/19 cruise there's a fee.  A very small fee...but a fee.

ETA-On the same 6/18 cruise I ordered flowers and there was a hefty fee.

Edited by April42749

1 hour ago, joepeka said:

I did a little research and found that Carnival instituted the delivery fee in January of 2018. It does not apply to Fun Shop purchases of Cheers, Bottomless Bubbles, Cruise Cash and internet plans (imagine that...... there's nothing to physically deliver!). Here's a link about Fun Shop gift orders:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1354/~/the-fun-shops-gift-orders

I ordered their cooler that comes with 4 bottles of beer and bottle opener, cups and beer coozie, again thanks for your info to me

3 hours ago, coevan said:

There is a gratuity for water, not a service charge. All ends up the same thing anyway

I checked my receipt to confirm, and the case of 12 bottles of water you can purchase DOES charge a delivery fee, not a gratuity.

Port Surcharges Total:

Subtotal:

Tax:

Delivery Fees Total:

Total:

$0.00

blank%20gif.ashx?1=1

$4.50

blank%20gif.ashx?1=1

$0.00

blank%20gif.ashx?1=1

$0.68

blank%20gif.ashx?1=1

$5.18

blank%20gif.ashx?1=1

Edited by Shaded Lady
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, coevan said:

There is a gratuity for water, not a service charge. All ends up the same thing anyway

The FAQ's literally state an 18% "delivery fee" is now added. When you place the order, the order says "delivery fee." Yes, it's the same amount as gratuities added to drinks elsewhere on board, but they're charging this delivery fee for any physical products purchased from the Fun Shops that are delivered to cabins. Doesn't matter what it is...water, cookies, snorkeling gear...they're all charged a delivery fee now.

Edited by Organized Chaos

6 hours ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Your automatic gratuities includes a portion going to alternative services. If this goes to waiters on the Lido as well as those working at the Guest Services Desk and  the entertainment social hosts, why would room service not be included in this tip pool? As an added FYI, I once had my assistant waiter from the MDR deliver room service to my room later that night.

42 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Your automatic gratuities includes a portion going to alternative services. If this goes to waiters on the Lido as well as those working at the Guest Services Desk and  the entertainment social hosts, why would room service not be included in this tip pool? As an added FYI, I once had my assistant waiter from the MDR deliver room service to my room later that night.

Auto grats, as far as I've seen,  covers ... room steward, dining room staff, and some behind the scenes personnel like laundry personnel.  I have never seen it said that it covers GS desk, buffet personnel, or entertainment hosts.  

6 minutes ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Auto grats, as far as I've seen,  covers ... room steward, dining room staff, and some behind the scenes personnel like laundry personnel.  I have never seen it said that it covers GS desk, buffet personnel, or entertainment hosts.  

Years ago, the full breakdown was listed on Carnival.com but has since been removed. A quick search online for historical data shows the following back when the automatic gratuities were 11.50 per day on Carnival:

• $5.80/day to Dining Room Services (Head Waiter, Waiter, Assistant Waiter)
  • $3.70/day to Cabin Services (Room Steward, Assistant Steward)
  • $2.00/day for Alternative Services (Kitchen, Entertainment, Guest Services & Hotel Staff)

2 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Years ago, the full breakdown was listed on Carnival.com but has since been removed. A quick search online for historical data shows the following back when the automatic gratuities were 11.50 per day on Carnival:

• $5.80/day to Dining Room Services (Head Waiter, Waiter, Assistant Waiter)
  • $3.70/day to Cabin Services (Room Steward, Assistant Steward)
  • $2.00/day for Alternative Services (Kitchen, Entertainment, Guest Services & Hotel Staff)

Well, I don't cruise Carnival normally ... my first cruise this past Jan. was first time in 37 years  ... so that may be the case.  But here, on CC, especially, it has been talked to death about where auto grats go and to those dept. listed above ... none have ever listed that.  

22 minutes ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Well, I don't cruise Carnival normally ... my first cruise this past Jan. was first time in 37 years  ... so that may be the case.  But here, on CC, especially, it has been talked to death about where auto grats go and to those dept. listed above ... none have ever listed that.  

I normally don't cruise on Carnival and in fact, I  haven't been on a Carnival ship in approximately 7 years. You're more than welcome to do your own research but it's certainly split between Dining, Housekeeping, and Alternative Services. Perhaps you can start a post on the Carnival boards where you can seek further information should you prefer not doing research?

If this January was your first cruise in 37 years, well, a lot has changed since then and the attendant from room service is definitely receiving at least some portion of your automatic gratuity.

Even Heald will tell you:

ddc55243f61d4e482cad97c937b52393.png

Edited by xDisconnections

4 hours ago, tandemcruzr said:

Not talking about at sea. If you purchase something from the Fun Shops prior to the cruise for delivery to your cabin, you may have to pay the local port's sale tax.

Yes  you are right there is a sales tax also plus the delivery fee this is what I got charged  

Product

Recipient

Qty

Price

Keep it Cooler - Corona

WARD DAVISON

LINDA DAVISON

$39.95

Purified Water - 12 Pack

WARD DAVISON

LINDA DAVISON

$4.50

Payment Method:

Credit Card ending in

*Charge on statement will appear as "The Fun Shops"

Port Surcharges Total:

Subtotal:

Tax:

Delivery Fees Total:

Total:

$0.00

$44.45

$2.80

$8.00

$55.25

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

why would room service not be included in this tip pool? As an added FYI, I once had my assistant waiter from the MDR deliver room service to my room later that night.

I don't know why but I can tell you that as recently as two months ago JH said the room service servers of the food and beverage department do not participate in the auto-grats. More than once he has written that tips to the room service servers who deliver food and beverage to the cabins is appreciated.

I'm only the messenger 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

I normally don't cruise on Carnival and in fact, I  haven't been on a Carnival ship in approximately 7 years. You're more than welcome to do your own research but it's certainly split between Dining, Housekeeping, and Alternative Services. Perhaps you can start a post on the Carnival boards where you can seek further information should you prefer not doing research?

If this January was your first cruise in 37 years, well, a lot has changed since then and the attendant from room service is definitely receiving at least some portion of your automatic gratuity.

Even Heald will tell you:

ddc55243f61d4e482cad97c937b52393.png

The one thing I take out of this is someone needs to sail on Carnival again.....