Sapphire Beach or Magens Bay for Grandparents, Parents and Young Kids?

Hello all,

We're going to be in St. Thomas soon on the Nieuw Statendam, and I am torn about which beach to visit. There will be two ships in port the day we are there. We'll be there from 8am - 5pm.

We went to St. Thomas once, about 7 years ago, and spent the day at Magen's Bay.

This time around we are taking my parents (seniors, but active), and our kids (ages 3 and 9) along with my husband and I. 

Some of us are hoping to snorkel from shore, some REQUIRE an umbrella or shade, and we'd like to get a few lounge chairs. Also need bathrooms and access to food and beverages if possible.

We want to DIY it from the ship. Would Sapphire or Magen's Bay be best and why? If you have information on taxi prices and the costs to enter or rent chairs/umbrellas, that would be very helpful as well! Also, is one particularly closer to the ship than the other?

Thanks so much!

Edited by sailawaybellaluna

They don't usually rent umbrellas at either Magens or Sapphire, because they are sometimes difficult to secure against strong breezes. Both beaches have shade, but the earlier you get there the better your chance for a good shady spot.

If you're looking to snorkel Sapphire is the better beach. Not much to see at Magens.

Taxi to Magens should be around $8 per person each way and there's a $5 few per person. Taxi to Sapphire should be around $10 per person each way.

Not sure of chair prices.

On 3/24/2019 at 5:23 AM, Ms411 said:

They don't usually rent umbrellas at either Magens or Sapphire, because they are sometimes difficult to secure against strong breezes. Both beaches have shade, but the earlier you get there the better your chance for a good shady spot.

If you're looking to snorkel Sapphire is the better beach. Not much to see at Magens.

Taxi to Magens should be around $8 per person each way and there's a $5 few per person. Taxi to Sapphire should be around $10 per person each way.

Not sure of chair prices.

Thanks for this info!

• 5 weeks later...