So is it True? 2nd entree fee in MDR??

Cruisegoer

Has this concept been rolled out Fleetwide? Are they trying to get more people to dine in the buffet? If you have actually experienced this on a normal HAL ship please respond. Culinary specialty cruises it’s understandable but extra charges on normal entrees in MDR is the question at hand????

10 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yep...reading before one posts is a good idea...

To be fair, the title of the other thread is pretty vague. I don't necessarily read every thread on the forum and I almost passed that one by initially until I saw it was getting a lot of traffic.

Would not have guessed from the title of "one main course" that the thread was about charging for a second entree; I rather assumed someone was trying to get the name of a particular entree they had enjoyed or maybe a recommendation for something to try.

• Like 7

Ugh, the sarcasm from most of you on these boards is ridiculous anymore! I’ve read the other post, not all 43 pages because it’s gone off topic and in so many tangents it doesn’t really answer my question. A few sailings prior to February say they’ve experienced this MDR surcharge. There has been no identification if it was on a Specialty dining cruise or normal HAL sailing.   I was hoping for something more current and detailed not people’s opinions on obesity or dining room manners/attire but you all rather be arrogant and nasty in your responses. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Cruisegoer said:

There has been no identification if it was on a Specialty dining cruise or normal HAL sailing.  

It’s on normal HAL sailings.  My friend is on a cruise right now and advised me the $10 surcharge is in effect on their cruise.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aaaaa said:

Topic has been covered in other threads -- e.g.,

12 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yep...reading before one posts is a good idea...

I wouldn't ask anyone to read a 43 page thread.  I think the original poster made a good choice to start a fresh thread.

• Like 14

56 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

What is a "Specialty dining cruise"? How is it different from a normal HAL sailing?

Why don't you use the CC search function to answer your question?

Its always a good to search before you post!

Edited by JRG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just off the Oosterdam two weeks ago. My husband couldn't decide between two meals. The waiter told him to get both, which he did. I saw the charge printed on the bottom of the menu, but it never appeared on our bill.

I personally was pleased that the portions seemed smaller. I hate to waste food and I usually ask for small portions. I don't think they will do this fleet wide, but some people over do. My waiter told me that there was a coupe who ordered ALL the entrees each evening, they only took two bites of each. I thought this was a terrible waste. JMHO.

6 minutes ago, JRG said:

The Search function sucks big time.

Roz

• Like 5

1 minute ago, cate54 said:

I personally was pleased that the portions seemed smaller. I hate to waste food and I usually ask for small portions. I don't think they will do this fleet wide, but some people over do. My waiter told me that there was a coupe who ordered ALL the entrees each evening, they only took two bites of each. I thought this was a terrible waste. JMHO.

Please lets keep on topic not discussing dietary/ green preferences.

meanwhile, the idea of smaller entrees and a surcharge for multiples is quite concerning!

Just now, Cruisegoer said:

Roz you missed the meaning of that post entirely..... read earlier comments in this thread.

I understood the meaning quite well.

35 minutes ago, JRG said:

Many times I get frustrated with the search function.   Sometimes I can find what I want, other times not.   If you don't like someone's question, please move on without the sarcasm....it's really not necessary or helpful.

• Like 7

On 3/24/2019 at 11:44 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

I am going to try and follow all threads on this subject.

I hope the people speak up if they don't like the idea of being charged for a second entree on those ships trying it out.

But one does wonder if this will force more people to the Lido???

Today I received an email from my HAL personal cruise consultant and I responded letting her know I do not support this trial and I will not be booking another HAL cruise until I learn that it has been discontinued.  I’m interested to see if she responds.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 7:17 AM, Cruisegoer said:

Ugh, the sarcasm from most of you on these boards is ridiculous anymore! I’ve read the other post, not all 43 pages because it’s gone off topic and in so many tangents it doesn’t really answer my question. A few sailings prior to February say they’ve experienced this MDR surcharge. There has been no identification if it was on a Specialty dining cruise or normal HAL sailing.   I was hoping for something more current and detailed not people’s opinions on obesity or dining room manners/attire but you all rather be arrogant and nasty in your responses. 

Cruisegoer sorry I do not have the answer for you, but I wanted you to know that I am glad you started a new post. Anyone that does not like it, DOES NOT HAVE TO OPEN IT! 

I too am tired of all the arrogant and nasty responses people put on here. I think because they are HIDING behind a computer, they think they can speak (or type) whatever they want. And then people wonder why fewer people come to this site. 

I hope someone can give you the answer you are looking for 😃

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2019 at 8:22 AM, JRG said:

If it bothers you, why don't you just NOT open the thread.

1 hour ago, qoap24 said:

If it bothers you, why don't you just NOT open the thread.

OMG!  You misunderstood my post!.   No harm no foul it happens.

I was actually supporting the OP opening a new thread,  my response was to an entirely different person.

When you go back and re-read it you will see what I mean.👍

Edited by JRG
  • Like 1