So is it True? 2nd entree fee in MDR??

Cruisegoer

12 hours ago, JRG said:

When you go back and re-read it you will see what I mean.👍

On 3/24/2019 at 11:22 AM, JRG said:

Why don't you use the CC search function to answer your question?

Its always a good to search before you post!

I did go back and re-read your post and agree that you were answering somebody other than the OP who was asking "what is a speciality dining cruise".

Off I went to to the search function and typed in those words.  Absolutely nothing about a "speciality dining cruise".  However I was referred to "speciality dining" where ten thousand (10,000, 10K) hits were referenced.  Now at 77 years of age I do not have the patience AND I CERTAINLY DON'T HAVE THE TIME LEFT ON EARTH to dig through 10,000 posts to POSSIBLY find an answer to a question.

Most times it is much, much easier to ask the question and suffer the barbs of the inevitable few hoping to get a reasonable response from those willing to share their knowledge.

Edited by DocJohnB
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

You're ok.   I'm ok.    But please let me elaborate.

I am not the Search Police.   Like some,  I am disappointed when new or infrequent and innocent cc posters get trampled by HAL regulars because they don't post daily,  but have a genuine bonafide question to ask 

about their upcoming cruise.   

I express my disappointment in these Search Police in this case if my comment  saves just one future intelligent poster from a getting the proverbial humiliating kick-in-the-crotch'  then I would do it again and twice on Sunday.

I would say good doctor that "You hold 'em and I'll do the Ray Guy imitation"..but after all....this is the 21st century and that is not a civilized way to behave.     The OP has my total support on this thread.

p.s. Bolding is mine.  

Edited by JRG
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JRG said:

I am not the Search Police.   Like some,  I am disappointed when new or infrequent and innocent cc posters get trampled by HAL regulars because they don't post daily,  but have a genuine bonafide question to ask 

about their upcoming cruise

I think most of us "get it".  I also get tired of the same reaction seen here so often.  

As for the search function, I'm well aware how to use it, but when every single search I do comes up with 10,000 responses even after changing the wording-- or 0 responses, it's pretty worthless.  So for a new poster it has to be hard. 

• Like 3

Well, the OP's initial questions in this thread were answered in the other one that was still very much active, which is what the initial answers (all posted at the same time) pointed to.   OP then admitted that they had started reading the other thread but just didn't want to bother with it.   If nothing else, OP could have skipped to the end of that thread and asked the current status of the trial.  It's not unreasonable for other posters to point someone to an active discussion already under way.  The first response even managed to answer OP's questions while directing them to the other thread.  No one can control the direction any subsequent discussion will take.

Edited by bEwAbG

33 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

but when every single search I do comes up with 10,000 responses even after changing the wording-- or 0 responses, it's pretty worthless.  So for a new poster it has to be hard. 

I'll address this significant point in your quote and then let your thread get back on-line because because.

There is nothing wrong with the Search Engine.......the problem is corrupted data-set of meaningless posts generated by us, the users.   Or it may be how you are trying to use it.  The parameters and filters are all there.     

I can understand why mastering search queries has always been a hurdle for segments of our population who were not introduced them early lin ife and yes,  the CC Search Engine has to be navigated before you can utilize all of its power to reduce your answer set.   It is fundamental to most of us,  but not yet all of us.

Other forums use mechanisms to reduce the clutter of data that comes back during searches, and how those cleanup mechanisms work is largely dependent on the context of a particular forum or topic.  (i.e.  purge or archive after 6-mos of no responses).

Back to your post.........

Edited by JRG

On 3/23/2019 at 6:16 PM, Cruisegoer said:

Has this concept been rolled out Fleetwide? Are they trying to get more people to dine in the buffet? If you have actually experienced this on a normal HAL ship please respond. Culinary specialty cruises it’s understandable but extra charges on normal entrees in MDR is the question at hand????

Any recent cruisers experienced this?  The other threads are too long to sift through.  Please post if you've been charged the ten bucks.  So curious how it's going.   

✌️

• Like 1

Back to the original subject, it's now late March and HAL should be deciding whether to continue this ill-advised experiment. Perhaps the only way we will know for sure is if no one who orders a second entree is charged for it.  At some point perhaps HAL will tell us all how much waste was "saved" by implementation of the $10 fee on the four ships. Or perhaps not. 

1 hour ago, Windsailer said:

Back to the original subject, it's now late March and HAL should be deciding whether to continue this ill-advised experiment. Perhaps the only way we will know for sure is if no one who orders a second entree is charged for it.  At some point perhaps HAL will tell us all how much waste was "saved" by implementation of the $10 fee on the four ships. Or perhaps not. 

(bold is mine) Probably not. I would love to see whatever "data" HAL has collected. I wonder if they kept a count of people who ate in the MDR or watched food consumption in the Lido to see if more people ate dinner there? 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

1 hour ago, Windsailer said:

Whatever "data" they collect is probably inaccurate. I am sure there were a number of folks who ordered a second entree and weren't charged - I have seen several mentions of that here on CC and elsewhere. 

I suspect the same thing - we all know how hard the crew tries to please (they are working for tips after all), so I bet they are reluctant to press the issue.

4 hours ago, Windsailer said:

I'd vote on the perhaps not. How are they even going to measure the waste? What are they going to compare it too? After all the plates are piled up by the staff clearing the table how can they differentiate the waste from a 2nd entree from a 1st entree? My DW is a picky eater, she may very well not even finish her entree. If I get a 2nd entree and its not prepared properly do I still have to pay for it? 

I see this whole trial as a cash grab by HAL. I feel for the poor wait staff that now have to track and deal with room keys to charge all this. 

For full disclosure, we rarely order 2nd entrees. Surf and Turf night is one where we will, as we'll get extra lobsters. Another time I might is when lamb chops are on the menu. We never have lamb at home, as the DW does not like it, so if I get the chance, I'll probably order double chops, as they are generally small and number given has decreased over the years. 

20 hours ago, JRG said:

OMG!  You misunderstood my post!.   No harm no foul it happens.

I was actually supporting the OP opening a new thread,  my response was to an entirely different person.

When you go back and re-read it you will see what I mean.👍

Sorry that I misread what you said. I guess I am just getting tired of all the people that tell someone to search before posting. So again I am sorry. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, qoap24 said:

Sorry that I misread what you said. I guess I am just getting tired of all the people that tell someone to search before posting. So again I am sorry. 

I think a lot of people are tired of it.  “Use search” is a very common response of certain poster(s), and it’s truly not helpful.

One was just given a dose of his own tonic.😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are holland America regulars posting daily who think they are peaches and cream.  But some are not nice people.  

Over the weekend there were a couple really nasty threads going, including one about the Viking ship.  A couple regular posters jumped on a “duplicate thread” diatribe.  I was happy their posts were deleted.  Who cares if there is an occasional duplicate thread. 

Posting volume is way down. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sammiedawg said:

I've noticed the same thing.  I think there are a variety of reasons for this.  IMO, one of them is that people are tired of posting an innocent question or observation, and taking a beat down from the know it alls.

Roz

• Like 3

14 hours ago, dillpickle48 said:

No wonder that fewer people are using Cruise Critic with so many aggressive and repetitive responses. If you have nothing constructive to add to the question asked, why both responding?

2 hours ago, sammiedawg said:

There are holland America regulars posting daily who think they are peaches and cream.  But some are not nice people.  

Over the weekend there were a couple really nasty threads going, including one about the Viking ship.  A couple regular posters jumped on a “duplicate thread” diatribe.  I was happy their posts were deleted.  Who cares if there is an occasional duplicate thread. 

44 minutes ago, Roz said:

I've noticed the same thing.  I think there are a variety of reasons for this.  IMO, one of them is that people are tired of posting an innocent question or observation, and taking a beat down from the know it alls.

Roz

👍👍👍

Edited by avian777

Threads like this is why I lurk and never post. Seriously this is classic baby boomers use the Internet type flame wars. Threads rarely stay on topic here as they descend into these pissing contests. 

I sail ail next week if there is a fee I’ll be sure to post about it. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Imprint79 said:

I sail ail next week if there is a fee I’ll be sure to post about it. 

Thanks and welcome to Cruise Critic with your first post 🙂 

22 hours ago, JRG said:

I'll address this significant point in your quote and then let your thread get back on-line because because.

There is nothing wrong with the Search Engine.......the problem is corrupted data-set of meaningless posts generated by us, the users.   Or it may be how you are trying to use it.  The parameters and filters are all there. 

This isn't "my thread", I'm just posting on it.  🙂  I was defending you, agreeing about the "search police" -- but maybe that wasn't such a good idea.  LOL.

Thanks for the search function lesson -- all I can say is it always worked well for me before the recent changes to CC.  So I'm pretty sure I know how to use it....

Yes you are absolutely correct.   You brought up a very good point and in all the excitement it became difficult to follow who was who for a moment.   

Sorry for the bogey too as I really meant to address  John and Jane Q sample users who might be using the search engine inefficiently.   Thank you for handling that gracefully.   

Its noteworthy that you probably have a stronger grasp on this issue than most if you are seeing differences before and after the upgrade.   

It works for me in general but I still have to sift and skim through alot of pages of white noise and dirty laundry to find what I am looking for.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, JRG said:

It works for me in general but I still have to sift and skim through alot of pages of white noise and dirty laundry to find what I am looking for.

I agree with your point here and above. While others used to complain a lot about CC's search function, it actually functioned pretty well prior to the site update if one knew the mechanics of how to search. Now it requires a lot more patience and effort to find things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Literally 99.99% of questions on CC have been asked and answered already. It's a site dedicated to quite possibly the most predictable form of vacation in the history of mankind (not knocking it is, sometimes predictable is EXACTLY what you want). Without repeat questions the site would die overnight. And I also don't think someone should be forced to spend hours reading threads that are at best 80% tangential to the thread title (just like this post). In fact, this would be the first result in future searches about second entree charges and it's just two pages of blabbering nonsense.

• Like 5

So it's now late March, and according to HAL's 3/1/2019 statement to Cruise Critic, it's when HAL will "evaluate evaluate the results in late March 2019 and make a decision based on its findings." I wonder when and how HAL will communicate these findings. It seems like most of the comments, here and elsewhere, are opposed to the policy. 

On 3/23/2019 at 6:16 PM, Cruisegoer said:

Has this concept been rolled out Fleetwide? Are they trying to get more people to dine in the buffet? If you have actually experienced this on a normal HAL ship please respond. Culinary specialty cruises it’s understandable but extra charges on normal entrees in MDR is the question at hand????

No, this "$10 for a 2nd entree" pilot program has not rolled out fleet wide! It is currently being tested on Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, so two different classes of ships, until the end of March - two more days to go

They are actually testing two separate concepts:

One will offer a menu each night of the sailing offering second entrees for $10; the second will only ask for the extra $10 on Gala Night

Time will tell what's up next with second entrees on HAL 😎

• Like 3