So is it True? 2nd entree fee in MDR??

Cruisegoer

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

It's an entree.   Just because some want to strap on the feed bag for meat think meat is the only thing that can be an entree, doesn't make it so.  If it's listed under "entree", it's a freakin' entree, be it a slab of still mooing cow, lamb ribs, a piece of salmon, a large salad, a plate of veggies, or a pasta.  If I order mushroom risotto, love it and would want a second plate of it, I'd pay $10.    I believe part of what was said on here is that HAL was thinking of charging because some order a second entire plate and just do a taste.   Here's an idea: if you want to "sample" or "taste" something, have each of you in your party order a different entree and try it among yourselves.  You get to taste and you don't have to pay... 

If you ever made risotto, you would know that it is fairly labor-intensive to make it properly.  Stir constantly, slowly adding broth each time the broth is absorbed.  It's a workout for your arm and wrist.   Cooking meat - put it in the oven/grill/pan, set the timer...  

Tip for making risotto correctly: stir as little as possible. You do not stir a risotto but let it simmer and absorb the broth. 

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

It's an entree.   Just because some want to strap on the feed bag for meat think meat is the only thing that can be an entree, doesn't make it so.  If it's listed under "entree", it's a freakin' entree, be it a slab of still mooing cow, lamb ribs, a piece of salmon, a large salad, a plate of veggies, or a pasta.  If I order mushroom risotto, love it and would want a second plate of it, I'd pay $10.    I believe part of what was said on here is that HAL was thinking of charging because some order a second entire plate and just do a taste.   Here's an idea: if you want to "sample" or "taste" something, have each of you in your party order a different entree and try it among yourselves.  You get to taste and you don't have to pay... 

If you ever made risotto, you would know that it is fairly labor-intensive to make it properly.  Stir constantly, slowly adding broth each time the broth is absorbed.  It's a workout for your arm and wrist.   Cooking meat - put it in the oven/grill/pan, set the timer...  

Thank you for the lecture on risotto. 🍚☹️

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roz said:

Thank you for the lecture on risotto. 🍚☹️

The lecture is not correct though, you never stir a risotto as it destroys the consistency and will turn into a rice pudding basically...

9 hours ago, Despegue said:

Also delicious, but I am a risotto freak 😉

My Italian ex-nanna-in-law would disagree with the no stirring.  It does depend on what consistency you like your risotto,  You like it loose, soupy, don't stir.  If you like it creamy, you have to stir.  It's not constant, but you have to do it a lot - moving the rice up from the bottom of the pot.  And, you stir when you incorporate more warm broth into the mix.  If you like it very tight, stir all the time.  Copper pot and my grandma's very, very old wooden spoon.   Risotto is one of my go-tos when I'm cooking for my group of girlfriends, so I do a large pot full.  

And, yes, risotto can be an entree.  Something doesn't have to walk on 4 legs or swim in water and be killed to be an entree...  

On 4/1/2019 at 11:49 AM, Bella0714 said:

avian,777 are you at least a little offended by HAL pretending that they're trying to cut down on waste when what they're really doing is trying to increase profits? If they really cared about cutting down on waste, they'd serve better food in the dining room so people weren't always trying one entree after another just to get to one that's satisfactory. I know they can't come out and say, "We're trying to make more money," but they also don't have to insult our intelligence with this "cutting down on waste" line.

Breath of fresh air...I can't stand companies who use lame excuses thinking we don't know the true motives.

On 4/9/2019 at 8:39 PM, Despegue said:

Tip for making risotto correctly: stir as little as possible. You do not stir a risotto but let it simmer and absorb the broth. 

On 4/9/2019 at 11:26 PM, Despegue said:

The lecture is not correct though, you never stir a risotto as it destroys the consistency and will turn into a rice pudding basically...

You absolutely do stir risotto.  You use arborio rice, Add it to hot olive oil and turn to coat each grain, then add the broth one ladle at a time, stirring continuously until each addition is absorbed, the rice is cooked but still al dente.  It’s labour intensive and time consuming and the only way to get creamy risotto.  This comes from an Italian Nonna.  

On the other hand, you never stir boiled/ steamed rice as it sticks together like glue.