Cruise lines encourage use of TA's

lenquixote66

4 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Are you sure? What is your sampling on this? As they don't have to pay a commission if you book with them, your statement doesn't make sense...

Are you sure? What is your sampling on this? As they don't have to pay a commission if you book with them, your statement doesn't make sense...

You  are making my point. If people book directly with the cruise line the cruise line does not have to pay the TA a commission.

You totally missed the question...what is your evidence on your statement?

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

You  are making my point. If people book directly with the cruise line the cruise line does not have to pay the TA a commission.

My feeling is they don't care if you book with a TA.

Maybe the cruise line would have to employ/train more people to take the bookings  probably at a higher rate than the commssions they pay the TA's

Plus  there is a higher turnover in the res centre & then they are spending time/money to train new employees

JMO

2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

That makes no sense,it costs them money.

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe the cruise line would have to employ/train more people to take the bookings  probably at a higher rate than the commssions they pay the TA's

Plus  there is a higher turnover in the res centre & then they are spending time/money to train new employees

JMO

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The cruise line balances the cost of having more cruise booking employees with the commission they have to pay. Remember both are costs to them, and employees come with benefit costs. If a given cruise line said we will discount if you book with us, or you can only book with us, those are also costs to the cruise line. Thus, they balance between the options.

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

You still have offered no evidence or logical support for your statements. Is that difficult for you to understand? You made a statement with no support.

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

There are millions of unemployed people who would jump at the chance for employment with cruise lines at mininum wage.

Again...  a statement with no support. In case you missed it, employers can't get enough workers right now. And you want just anyone off the street booking your cruise? Really?

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

You still have offered no evidence your logical support for your statements. Is that difficult for you to understand? You made a statement with no support.

I think you do not understand the point I am making .The cruise line has to pay 30 percent for each cruise booked with a TA .Let us say hypothetically that the average cruise is $5000.00 that means they pay $1500.00.An employee working for $10 an hour would cost so much less.

Again...  a statement with no support. In case you missed it, employers can't get enough workers right now. And you want just anyone off the street booking your cruise? Really?

I worked for the Federal Office of the NYS Department of Labor.We were training discharged soldiers who had skills of shooting guns to do work for mininum wage .They were very happy to have employment.

The millions of unemployed,many of whom are educated will take any kind of employment.

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I think you do not understand the point I am making .The cruise line has to pay 30 percent for each cruise booked with a TA .Let us say hypothetically that the average cruise is $5000.00 that means they pay $1500.00.An employee working for $10 an hour would cost so much less.

not many TA's  get 30%  

let me know  who gets that I will apply for a job 🙂

the average is 10-20%  & not on the full cruise price  so your $5000 cruise only $3500 may earn commission  ..just an example  figures not accurate

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am getting this number from every TA I have used in the years I have been cruising.

I owned a travel agency for a number of years. Typically commissions paid by cruise lines were 10 to 20%. 

Very simply it's cheaper to pay commissions to travel agents than to employ sufficient numbers of in house agents to service all the customers.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

I owned a travel agency for a number of years. Typically commissions paid by cruise lines were 10 to 20%. 

Very simply it's cheaper to pay commissions to travel agents than to employ sufficient numbers of in house agents to service all the customers.

My TA in NYC , RA told me that he got 30 percent from HAL. Another TA ,AA told me 30 percent from Carnival. I assume that this would be a standard amount with all cruise lines and all Travel Agents.

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My TA in NYC , RA told me that he got 30 percent from HAL. Another TA ,AA told me 30 percent from Carnival. I assume that this would be a standard amount with all cruise lines and all Travel Agents.

No...that would be an unusually high commission. A bad assumption on your part.

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

That is your choice to want to work for big bucks. With the exception of two years I worked non profit my entire life and was quite happy doing so.

You have no idea about what  I was saying. At the commission levels we were paid it was difficult to earn a decent living. There's little sense in working 55 hours a week to make next to nothing. I could have made more money flipping burgers at Mickey D's. At 30% I could have made an acceptable living but I certainly wouldn't have gotten rich.

• Like 1

I just called a neighbor who is a retired travel agent. He said when he first started out the commission averaged 10 perecent but that he had received as much as 20 percent. I told him that several of the TA's I used said they were getting 30 percent. He believes that it does not seem likely but that it is possible.

11 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

You have no idea about what  I was saying. At the commission levels we were paid it was difficult to earn a decent living. There's little sense in working 55 hours a week to make next to nothing. I could have made more money flipping burgers at Mickey D's. At 30% I could have made an acceptable living but I certainly wouldn't have gotten rich.

11 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I worked 60 hours a week ,non profit and I was very happy.I did not need luxuries..

11 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I just called a neighbor who is a retired travel agent. He said when he first started out the commission averaged 10 perecent but that he had received as much as 20 percent. I told him that several of the TA's I used said they were getting 30 percent. He believes that it does not seem likely but that it is possible.

Which is exactly what I and others have said. 10 to 20% is typical. 30 is not likely.

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I worked 60 hours a week ,non profit and I was very happy.I did not need luxuries..

some people  need to pay bills & buy food 

glad you did not have  that problem

you are more fortunate than others  trying to make a living & survive

but  what that has to do with your original post  ..not sure