ATL Domestic Connection

rbslos18

I'll assume you've never used ATL before....it is huge and arranged in a toastrack of concourses with the PlaneTrain running underneath. There are also walkways that run parallel to the PlaneTrain.

I'm not as much of a DL flyer as others on here but have connected through ATL enough to know it well. 42mins obviously doesn't give you much wiggle room but chances are still high that you'll make it, after all the airlines don't publish minimum connection times for fun. I would download the Delta app, familarise yourself with the layout so when you land at ATL and have your connecting gate information you can plan your escape accordingly without dithering about. The concourses at ATL are not that huge and very busy.

If you're not flying FC then pick seats as far forward as possible, if you're in row 99 then half that connection time could be sucked up by buffoons taking their time to disembark. That said even if you do miss the flight then DL have almost hourly service to FLL so depending upon what day you're travelling/class of service etc. it should be fairly easy to get rebooked onto a later flight.

Edited by fbgd

It's tight, but it's legal.

I'd be researching ATL terminal maps.

About a week before my flights, I'd also be researching FlightAware.com and watching for historical flight history. I'd be looking at my flight arrival time and at what gate it usually arrives at. You might find that this flight usually always arrives at gate B22- B25. Or,,, you could find that your flight is assigned at random gates.

Then, I'd do the same for my connecting flight. You might find a pattern.

Then, I'd make sure or hope for some type of internet connection on my flight down to ATL. FlightAware will be able to tell you what gate your flight will arrive to and what gate your connecting flight is departing from..

If your arriving flight is going to be late, quietly speak to a flight attendant and let them know your situation. Many times, flight attendants have requested all passengers to remain seated to allow those with tight connections to deplane first.

1 hour ago, rbslos18 said:

Our Delta connection time in Atlanta in mid-December changed to 42 minutes. We will be flying from SDF and connecting to a domestic Delta flight to FLL. Is this sufficient time? Thanks.

RB

The minimum connect time, or MCT, for Delta at ATL, is 35 minutes so this is a "legal" connection.  That means that if your inbound flight arrives on time you should be able to make it unless you have mobility issues.  That said, many people are not comfortable with less than an hour, especially if seated in the back of the plane since it can take a while just to get off the plane from there.  What was your original connection time?  If it has changed by an hour or more, Delta should let you change to a different inbound or outbound flight  so that you have more time.   Even if the change is less than an hour, I'd still call and explain that you are not comfortable with that short amount of time (if indeed you aren't.)  Delta is usually pretty flexible in these cases.  It would help if you go online first and can give them the flight number of the flight you'd like to be switched to.  I prefer longer when connecting to an international flight, but for a domestic connection I can do it in 42 min., no problem.  It helps that I am extremely familiar with the airport, and am generally seated in the front of the plane (usually comfort+ or first class, due to status-based upgrades) so I am among the first to deplane.  Be aware that the boarding door usually closes about 5 min prior to scheduled departure time so that the passenger manifest can be finalized.  Once closed, it will not be reopened, so look at a 42 min connection time as actually giving you about 37 minutes to get to the gate.

If you aren't familiar with the Atlanta airport this information may help:

There are 7 concourses at ATL and they are all connect airside, meaning you don't have to exit and go back through security to get from one to another.   In order, they are T-A-B-C-D-E-F and they run parallel to each other.   Delta has gates in all 7 concourses so your flight from SDF could land anywhere and your flight to FLL could take off from anywhere.   There is an underground plane train that connects all 7.  After deplaning, follow the signage for other concourses to the center of the concourse.  Once there, follow the signage to go down the correct escalator to the train.  One escalator will lead to trains going one direction; the other will lead to trains going the other.  (For ex., if you land in concourse B, you'll see a sign for T and A, and you'll see a different sign for C-F.)    The train runs quickly and frequently.  When it leaves, another will be along in about 1 minute, and it takes less than 30 seconds to go from one concourse to another.  When you get off, go up the escalator and follow signage to your gate.  ATL is huge and is the world's busiest airport, but the plane train is extremely efficient and there is good signage.

To simply answer your question, OP,  while the connection time is a "legal" connection time, I would reject such a connection.  I'd be a nervous wreck prior to the flight, during the flight, after landing, and until I got to my connection gate and saw that the door was still open.

Once, I was the last passenger through the gate's door and they closed the door once I was on my way down the jetway.  Never again, I swore to myself.  I'd rather sit in the airport for a couple of hours or so than worry:  will I make my flight.

The previous posters have offered you excellent advice.  The decision is up to you as to what connection time fits your comfort zone.

Edited by rkacruiser

As you are not flying till Dec, I really wouldn't worry about it right now. There is a good chance it will change another 2-3 times before then anyway.  As Meg said, ATL is a pretty easy airport to navigate (unless mobility issues).   I would just keep note of the original times/flights and if around Sept/Oct it is still tight and you are still concerned then I would call at that point.  

DL's onboard wifi allows free connection to their website and through the DL phone app.  Both will give you updated info.

Also, as you leave the jetway, look for a monitor right by the door.  That will show the connections for your inbound flight, so you can spot the most up to date info on where to head.

Just to help a little.

The flight monitors are overhead and contain every connecting flight for inbound passengers. For most gates they are to the right of the waiting area as you exit the jetway.

The directional signs for the trains are overhead. If you do have to change concourses you probably will not have time to walk the tunnel with a 42 minute connection time.

For terminals A to D the elevators and escalators are mid way on each concourse around gates 18-19 BUT this is always an area of the most congestion and most of the concourses have restaurants and shops there too.

The location of the B concourse elevators on the train level is a little confusing so if you can use the escalator do so.

Do monitor your flights from time to time on the Delta site in YOUR TRIPS. Delta does not always send e mail updates on changes. I find their agents very willing to make changes even outside the 60 to 90 minute free change period. If you are flying to FLL on the day of your cruise let the agent know. It can make a difference.

I go through Atlanta a lot flying with Delta. 42 minutes is cutting it really close. I always assume the gate we come in is the furthest from the tram and our outbound gate is the furthest from the tram. The one time we had a 42 min connection time, wife and I were running parts of the way just to make it. Remember, they are going to close the doors between 10-5 minutes before the posted departure time.

I've done 42 minute ATL connections without incident many times and have also had them go bad on me (one of those times when the ticket was cheap enough and there were enough back-up flight options where I was able to rebook successfully and make it to my destination the same day despite thunderstorm disruptions) 

35 minutes is their published minimum legal connection time but is not particularly the  sensible minimum connection time, even though it helps that December is generally a good flight weather time for north Georgia. 

If your original connection time was at least an hour (ie. you'd be trying to recreate a comfortable connection time for your party), I'd make a polite request to change to flights that rebuild that buffer. Delta doesn't have to offer a 'golden ticket' rebooking if you're still above the MLCT and the time change was less than something like 90 minutes but their front line customer service reps have a lot of leeway in going beyond contract of carriage minimums if you can politely and kindly make a good case for the change. 

Edited by sumiandkage

I spoke to Princess and Delta. We will have to wait until the ticket is issues in the Fall to deal with this. Fortunately there are almost hourly flights so the risk isn't great. Since we are arriving a day early we should be fine. Thanks for your advice!

RB

11 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

I spoke to Princess and Delta. We will have to wait until the ticket is issues in the Fall to deal with this. Fortunately there are almost hourly flights so the risk isn't great. Since we are arriving a day early we should be fine. Thanks for your advice!

RB

So wait- Princess hasn't even purchased your ticket yet, but they won't let you change it? 

21 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

RB

9 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

So wait- Princess hasn't even purchased your ticket yet, but they won't let you change it? 

For the OP, this does not sound quite right.  When I book air through HAL, I am able to get a confirmed reservation with seat assignments.  Further investigation on your part is required in my opinion.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

For the OP, this does not sound quite right.  When I book air through HAL, I am able to get a confirmed reservation with seat assignments.  Further investigation on your part is required in my opinion.  

I do have a reservation and confirmed seats. However, since this is an EZair ticket which isn't issued until 45 days before the cruise, I have to wait until then. The alternative is to cancel and start over and pay $500+ more.

1 hour ago, rbslos18 said:

I do have a reservation and confirmed seats. However, since this is an EZair ticket which isn't issued until 45 days before the cruise, I have to wait until then. The alternative is to cancel and start over and pay $500+ more.

Why would they do that?   Delta just changed my flights and I ended up with -9 minutes between flights in Detroit.  I had to completely change my return flights from going through Detroit to going through Atlanta.   Mine haven't been ticketed yet and won't be until this summer, but HAL made the changes today.  It makes more sense to do it now before tickets are issued that after that.

14 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

If your ticket hasn't been issued, how do you have confirmed seats?  Sorry, something just isn't adding up here.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

If your ticket hasn't been issued, how do you have confirmed seats?  Sorry, something just isn't adding up here.

Yep....until ticketed you have confirmed "nothing".  You have reservations, which can be cancelled/changed at any time.

5 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Yep....until ticketed you have confirmed "nothing".  You have reservations, which can be cancelled/changed at any time.

Exactly!  I changed my outbound flights as well because I didn't like the tight connection time, although a legal one by the airlines.  No problem, the tickets have not been issued yet.  

On 3/27/2019 at 2:50 PM, dfish said:

Exactly!  I changed my outbound flights as well because I didn't like the tight connection time, although a legal one by the airlines.  No problem, the tickets have not been issued yet.  

My problem is the price is substantially higher now.

2 hours ago, sumiandkage said:

If you're a gambling sort, there's also the option of holding tight for another 2-3 months and hoping that another schedule change would put you below the minimum legal connection time. Delta does a lot of schedule changes

Yep...you wait for that schedule change and now you can get new flights.

Oops....no availability for those more desirable flights, and you end up with an even worse situation.

It doesn't always work out for your benefit.

Caveat emptor.

Although it's nice to save $$ by booking air though cruise lines, it's obviously a nerve wracking experience. 

Control over MY flights is first and foremost, cruise lines get/take what the "airlines" have leftover/available, not an ideal situation.

6 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Although it's nice to save $$ by booking air though cruise lines, it's obviously a nerve wracking experience. 

Control over MY flights is first and foremost, cruise lines get/take what the "airlines" have leftover/available, not an ideal situation.

Well, your experience is surely not mine!  I specify the airline, flight, date of departure, and class of service I want when my cruise booking is made.  If such an itinerary is not available--or the price is more than I can book on my own--I will not use the cruise line's air booking service.  (I do agree that I want control over my air itinerary.)  Usually, particularly with Open Jaw bookings, I can purchase Business Class or First Class seats much less through the cruise lines than I can on my own.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Well, your experience is surely not mine!  I specify the airline, flight, date of departure, and class of service I want when my cruise booking is made.  If such an itinerary is not available--or the price is more than I can book on my own--I will not use the cruise line's air booking service.  (I do agree that I want control over my air itinerary.)  Usually, particularly with Open Jaw bookings, I can purchase Business Class or First Class seats much less through the cruise lines than I can on my own.

My experience is like yours.  When I had to redo my flights due to changes made by the airline, I was able to specify my preferences and they did an excellent job of rescheduling me according to those preferences.  I don't feel I have given up control at all and the cost of my business class seat is half what I would pay if I booked directly.