We opted to let Carnival choose our room for us. Was that wise?

skimble

When booking online, instead of choosing a specific room, I chose to let Carnival place us in a room.  Was that a wise choice?  (It was the least expensive.)  There are 4 of us (adults) in the room, so I thought they might put us in a room that works best for that. 

Also, it looks like I can check in early.  Do I stand a chance of getting a better room if I check in early online?

Thank you

What ship, and what type of room?  As for checking in early...How soon is the cruise?  You used to be able to do online checkin as soon as you made your deposit, but now they do not allow it until 90 days before departure.  At that time, you can choose your check in time for departure day.  

As far as letting Carnival choose your room, it is fine, as long as you don't care where your room is.  I have dont it occasionally.  I'm a cheapskate.  EM

You will have been assigned your cabin before boarding starts, so how early you get there won't make a difference.

Most of Carnival's cabins (standard cabins) are 185 sq. ft.....that space INCLUDES the bathroom.  Gonna be a bit tight for 4 adults, I think.

On 3/24/2019 at 6:28 PM, skimble said:

When booking online, instead of choosing a specific room, I chose to let Carnival place us in a room.  Was that a wise choice?  (It was the least expensive.)  There are 4 of us (adults) in the room, so I thought they might put us in a room that works best for that. 

Also, it looks like I can check in early.  Do I stand a chance of getting a better room if I check in early online?

Thank you

Whether or not it is a wise choice will depend on the room ultimately assigned to you.  If it is a balcony, as example, it could be an obstructed view, or if it is an inside it could be in a location far from the elevator banks, etc., etc. It will be at their discretion and usually not to your advantage. But that is the trade off for the lower price.  All staterooms within a given category that are configured for 4 are the same, so the only difference from one to the other will be its location. 

When you check in has nothing to do with your stateroom assignment or getting a better one. Some cruise lines - once the stateroom is assigned - will allow you to move it to a different location within the same category as others are available.  You would have to look at the ship's deck plans on line at the Carnival website to see locations and do a mock booking to check availability.  Check with Carnival to confirm their policy regarding this. 

But if stateroom location is important to you, letting the cruise line assign the stateroom is not the best choice.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Most carnival cabins are not only 185 SQ FT. 175 t0 185 on the small ships only.  They are 220 sq ft, the largest in the industry. Most ocean view fore 4 have a pull out sofa. The room steward will have it ready in the evening for you. As for letting the cruise line pick you room. Only if you do not care where it will be located. Understand, you will receive a cabin that most do not want. If you are a person that gets seasick. Pick your own. Mid ship and on the lowest deck.

As a follow up... we were incredibly happy with the room assigned to us.  We were on the 9th floor, mid ship, unobstructed balcony.  We were super close to the stairs and elevators, one deck away from the Lido deck.  We had easy access to everything.  The trip was amazing, and our cabin worked perfectly.  Our adult boys had bunk beds, we had a king.  I would do it again.  

• Like 3

• 8 months later...