Princess Beginner with a few questions please

CTOM

20 hours ago, CTOM said:

Thank you all for the help.   Much appreciated. 

One more thing I meant to ask earlier.   The cruise is 21 months away, and I was told not to book too soon.   Wait for a special where Princess may  offer a free drink package or something as the cruise gets closer.   I'd rather book sooner and confirm a room I want rather than wait for a special that may or may not come.  Safer to book early, right?

Book early if refundable deposit. This way both re-fare and cancel/re-book options are available to you without any loss of revenue. 

I have always booked then re-fare to sip and sail or three for free once available. Also Princess policy to transfer to a TA has changed. Princess now gives you only 60 days from booking creation to transfer to your favorite TA. 

6 hours ago, skynight said:

Refer to my answer, posting no. 15. Assuming you live in the U.S. or Canada then it works this way.

When a new and better promo comes along you contact your T.A. to have your booking changed to the new promo. You will receive the new fare and the new promo benefits, but lose the current fare and benefits you have. This can be done more than once. Note that some T.A.'s have a charge for making a change, mine does not. Basically you are cancelling the current booking and making a new one.

If you live in Europe, Australia or some other locations the process works differently.

‘If one used Princess to book and not a TA, can I call Princess to rebook if a promo that I like comes up?

56 minutes ago, exgman said:

‘If one used Princess to book and not a TA, can I call Princess to rebook if a promo that I like comes up?

Yes, I’ve rebooked 3 times already from last August (from cruise to cruisetour, cruisetour to a different cruisetour, sip and sail to 3 for free promo) for my upcoming August Alaska cruise and I don’t have a TA. You can either call up your assigned cruise planner (mine has really limited hours) or just the regular help line and someone will assist you. It’s very easy. Just make sure the deposit is non-refundable. They can even keep your same cabin (they have to open two windows on the computer when they’re canceling the first one to make sure they get it immediately on the new booking) so don’t worry. That said, I wish I did have a TA because it sounds like a lot of people got some nice OBC or discounts from theirs. 🤔

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SeaofStars said:

Yes, I’ve rebooked 3 times already from last August (from cruise to cruisetour, cruisetour to a different cruisetour, sip and sail to 3 for free promo) for my upcoming August Alaska cruise and I don’t have a TA. You can either call up your assigned cruise planner (mine has really limited hours) or just the regular help line and someone will assist you. It’s very easy. Just make sure the deposit is non-refundable. They can even keep your same cabin (they have to open two windows on the computer when they’re canceling the first one to make sure they get it immediately on the new booking) so don’t worry. That said, I wish I did have a TA because it sounds like a lot of people got some nice OBC or discounts from theirs. 🤔

Thanks SoS. I have an aft suite booked and don’t want to lose it, however, a sip and sail would be a great perk. From what I’ve read, June or thereabouts is a good time to look for it. 

5 hours ago, SeaofStars said:

I prefer to book with refundable deposits.

Please note that on several of the Princess ships the mini-suites have no top cover over the balconies.  That means full sun and the deck above can look down on your whole balcony.  For example the Grand Princess only has a few covered balconies on deck 6.  The whole of deck 7, all mini-suites,  has all uncovered balconies.

1 minute ago, RonaldL said:

Please note that on several of the Princess ships the mini-suites have no top cover over the balconies.  That means full sun and the deck above can look down on your whole balcony.  For example the Grand Princess only has a few covered balconies on deck 6.  The whole of deck 7, all mini-suites,  has all uncovered balconies.

Ronald, thank you for that.  That lack of privacy is a huge factor. 

Is there a forum here where I can look up which decks/rooms have these un-covered balconies on mini suites?

Our ship is the Diamond Princess, and from what I can see, the mini-suites are all on the Dolphin deck.

Thank you!

49 minutes ago, CTOM said:

Ronald, thank you for that.  That lack of privacy is a huge factor. 

Is there a forum here where I can look up which decks/rooms have these un-covered balconies on mini suites?

Our ship is the Diamond Princess, and from what I can see, the mini-suites are all on the Dolphin deck.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, RonaldL said:

Your travel agent should be able to get that information for you.  I emailed Princess direct which is where I secured the info. for the Grand Princess.  Also take a look at *****.com.

I called Princess to inquire, and she said that ALL of the mini-suites on the Diamond Princess are on their Dolphin Deck, and ALL are exposed balconies.  That is disappointing.  Can't afford a regular suite, and the mini-suite will have people above staring down on us.  Or frat boys throwing stuff down on us (rare, but happened on Carnival once!). 

Last week, I got an upsell offer from a balcony to a full suite, so that unicorn does exist! 🙂 I grabbed it with both hands. This was my first ever upsell and coincidentally was the first time in 13 cruises with a Princess that I had booked directly with Princess, rather than going through a TA.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CTOM said:

I called Princess to inquire, and she said that ALL of the mini-suites on the Diamond Princess are on their Dolphin Deck, and ALL are exposed balconies.  That is disappointing.  Can't afford a regular suite, and the mini-suite will have people above staring down on us.  Or frat boys throwing stuff down on us (rare, but happened on Carnival once!). 

I can not guarantee anything , but after 70 plus days on Princess (Balcony, mini suite and full suites ) , I would be shocked if you came away from a princess cruise saying anyone “stared down at you “ or for goodness sakes had “ frat boys throwing stuff down on” you. Back me up, my friends on CC. This  would be be exceedingly rare. 

I’ve  enjoyed all levels of cabins on my Princess Cruises. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I can not guarantee anything , but after 70 plus days on Princess (Balcony, mini suite and full suites ) , I would be shocked if you came away from a princess cruise saying anyone “stared down at you “ or for goodness sakes had “ frat boys throwing stuff down on” you. Back me up, my friends on CC. This  would be be exceedingly rare. 

I’ve  enjoyed all levels of cabins on my Princess Cruises. 

It is extremely rare!

When sitting at the back of the uncovered balcony, people in the balcony above have to stand up and look down to see you.  At that point you can look up and stare back at them.  When they can see you, you can see them.  :classic_wink:

Whatever, people don't waste their time staring at others.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CTOM said:

Frat boys - CARNIVAL - 'nuff said

15 hours ago, polmcs said:

Last week, I got an upsell offer from a balcony to a full suite, so that unicorn does exist! 🙂 I grabbed it with both hands. This was my first ever upsell and coincidentally was the first time in 13 cruises with a Princess that I had booked directly with Princess, rather than going through a TA.

from what's been posted here on CC by others ... 'some' TA's are 'too busy' to pass on emails from Princess offering upgrades, upsells, or MOVE OVERS ... so do you REALLY know if Princess has offered these to you before ???

11 hours ago, OCruisers said:

It is extremely rare!

When sitting at the back of the uncovered balcony, people in the balcony above have to stand up and look down to see you.  At that point you can look up and stare back at them.  When they can see you, you can see them.  :classic_wink:

Whatever, people don't waste their time staring at others.  

All true.

But remember that staff on the Bridge can see the balconies on all cabins on the sides of the ship. It does not matter if they are covered or not.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 2:25 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

This is great news. I definitely do not like packing a coat when we go on a cruise. But, on our upcoming UK family cruise this summer on the Crown, my son (39) and I will definitely bring dress shirts and ties and the ladies will wear what ever they desire. Glad to hear the maitre d doesn't strictly enforce the formal night dress code.

#justsayin in the UK you need a winter coat all year round. 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/25/2019 at 5:55 AM, satxdiver said:

I would say book now so that you can get the cabin you want before it is taken by someone else.  Then check back often to see if there are any better offers from Princess like sales.  You can always refare your cruise simply by calling Princess or your TA.  Often on my cruises I will refare them at least once before I actually cruise.  Princess allows you to be very fluid in your bookings up until final payment is due.  One of the reasons I like Princess. 

Good advice satxdiver.  The only thing I would add here is to make sure that you do not book under a non-refundable deposit rate. They are attractive because cabins are offered at lower rates, BUT....if Princess has a sale somewhere down the road that shows a lower price or includes special perks for a better price, in order for you to change your reservation you will have to cancel your original booking, lose your non-refundable deposit and re-book a new reservation under the new rate. It happened to me once, so I speak from experience.😏

Another specific point to bring up is the cruise we're looking into sails around Japan, on the Diamond Princess, in December 2020.

I was speaking to a travel agent, who told us that the Diamond Princess Japanese cruises are a bit different than other Princess cruises.   Besides the price being higher, the chance for an upgrade offer is low, because the suites typically sell out at full price on the Japanese cruises, so no need for Princess to offer suites at a reduced rate.