Visiting Valetta , Malta

We will be visiting Valetta, Malta the end of September on the Jewel of the Seas. The excursions through the ship seem to be limited. I am looking for suggestions as to either doing a private excursion or is this a port where it is best to just walk around on our own?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

We did an Amy Pace tour of Mdina and Valletta. It was well done. We went to St John's co-cathedral as well.  We had plenty of shopping stops on our cruise and it was nice seeing Mdina and other sites that weren't shopping venues.

On 3/24/2019 at 10:36 PM, singinalot said:

of you are mobile i highly suggest DIY. see the link in my signature for my review from last year. we LOVED Malta and did it as a DIY for several hours

Your post was very informative. This is the cruise we are looking at for Sept 2020.

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2019 at 10:25 PM, kuddles14 said:

We will be visiting Valetta, Malta the end of September on the Jewel of the Seas. The excursions through the ship seem to be limited. I am looking for suggestions as to either doing a private excursion or is this a port where it is best to just walk around on our own?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Really up to you to either tour or DIY in town.  

If you want a tour...google the "Malta Loop tour".  Good overview of the island.

DIY in Valetta is easy, but you won't get further than that.  the major in-town sites have already been suggested above.  

• 1 month later...

We just returned from Valletta, Malta last week and if you happen to have any interest in Game of Thrones you won't want to miss the amazing tour with did with Malcolm a cast member (seasons 1 & 2) and professional tour guide. We saw and did more in Malta than we ever imagined possible. *Malta Film Tours*...one of the best private group tours we've taken !!!!

We cruised last September/October and one of our favorite stops was in Valetta! It is SO EASY to do this on your own. It's a short walk from the port to see the town. It is a beautiful place and we found some fun places to eat and drink. If you like to wander on your own you won't be disappointed!

• 4 weeks later...

For our November 2019 cruise, we booked a Tours by Locals tour that is about 6 hours long.  We get to go to Mdina and other places, ending with a walking tour of Valleta.  Just felt the need to see more than the area surrounding the port, and not sure if/when we would return, as there are many places on our bucket list.  The tour we booked is by a highly rated guide, and price is about $400 total for 4 people.