clothing for South America cruise ??

wlbox

We will be on the March South Amercia cruise. I have been wondering what should we bring to wear.. Does this mean everything from shorts and tees to my winter down coat and long johns????

Should I bring my normal Caribbean dinner outfits, with a sweater??? Will I freeze if I wear sandles with my dinner clothing?

dont want to over pack but this is really concerning me.

Need help please !!!

Since you did not specify which part of March, I'm not sure if you mean the northward sailing through the Canal, or the BA to Valpo leg (which two years ago may have started the last week in February).

You'll also have to translate my "guy thing" perspective to your needs - I suppose as far as dinner goes, in theory you could stay inside the whole evening and not worry about freezing, but if you are inclined, as many are, to step outside after dinner down at the Chilean Fjords/Tierra del Fuego, I would say you need to choose legware more carefully - it could be windy and in the 40s. Going north from Valpariaso, however, it's probably OK to "minimize" as comfortably as you think appropriate, as it should be 70s and above most of the way.

Either way, I've been on both itineraries. If it's the "Round the Horn", it gets down to about the 40's with wind at the Cape (Cabo de Hornos, heh, heh), but could be as high as 60 or so at Ushuaia. BA and Valpo/Santiago will be in the low to mid-80's daytime, perhaps mid-upper 60s at night. Halfway to Cabo from BA, Puerto Madryn will still be warm (about 70 to 75 inland), maybe 65-70 along the coast at the Punto Tomba penguin rookery. Likewise for Puerto Montt/Puerto Varas/Rio Petrohue/Osorno Volcano, midway up the Chilean coast from Cabo - a great full day tour with terrific lunch at Lake Llanquehue.

If you meant the northward sailing from Valpo to FLL - you can pack fairly light, unless you're taking the Machu Picchu X-cursion, in which case a fleece-lined windbreaker and hat would be sufficient. We were there on St. Patty's Day or so, and evening temps were in the mid to upper 40s, daytime at the site about 65 to 70.

You will love either itinerary. Enjoy!!!!

Cabo

We are doing Buenos Aires to Valparaiso (Santiago) on Regal Princess, 3-9-06, and plan on layering, much as we would for Alaska.

I always take a couple of cardigan sweaters with me when cruising, as I find both main dining rooms and main show lounges often chillier than I like.

We are expecting warm weather in Buenos Aires, and cooler weather as we head South.

Last week it was reported to be quite cool & windy (with rough seas) down in the Falklands area.

I made this Rio to Valpo ;sail a couple of years ago, andfound it both hot, hot,hot and cold, cold, cold.

I packed two suitczses, onewith summery things and one with wintery things. Our itinerary took us to the Falkland Islands where we froze in heavy coats (mine was all-weather with a furry zip out lijning) under which I wore a warm swet shirt. These sweats were great on other lower SA side trips. Long johns feel good for three or four days. A good warm cardigan suffices for forays on outside decks.

Be sure to include good warm hiking shoes, thick socks, gloves, warm hat and scarf.

On board ship, temperature is controlled by AC and central heat, so you are comfortable whatever you have on.

Have fun. This is a great voyage.

love

joan

Archived