R class ships, like Volendam

shanni-shanni

Shorter Lido Market lines, less walking to public venues, less crowded disembarkation at ports, more opportunities to interact with crew (bartenders, spa folks, entertainers), piano bars, smaller crowds at the railings for viewing places of interest (Glacier Bay Alaska), quicker laundry returns, quicker Room Service, etc.

• Thanks 1

Generally speaking, I’ve found the crew to passenger ratio much better on the smaller ships which usually means better service. 😉 

The smaller ships are more like ships - not a lot of bells and whistles but you know you are on a ship (that’s meant in the good way).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, shanni-shanni said:

I read somewhere that seasoned HAL cruisers prefer a smaller ship, R class like Volendam.

Is there a reason why?

Tom

Almost the same feeling you get on Azamara Cruise - all their ships are "R" class

43 minutes ago, shanni-shanni said:

I read somewhere that seasoned HAL cruisers prefer a smaller ship, R class like Volendam.

Is there a reason why?

Tom

Some do. But we don't. Just personal preference. We like a little more room, entertainment, etc, that the larger ships. But maybe, at 11 cruises, with 2 booked (one on Amsterdam, one on N. Amsterdam), we aren't "seasoned" enough.

I have always loved the Volendam and the Eurodam, we booked the Koningsdam as a family cruise, I was skeptical about the Koningsdam as it was the largest ship in HAL's fleet and I have always liked the smaller more intimate ships.    I just got off the Koningsdam a week ago and I have to say, I LOVED the Koningsdam.  She is larger, but I have to say I found it easy to get to venues, restaurants, shows, my entire family loved  this style ship so much we booked the Nieuw Statendam for March 2021 and are looking forward to this cruise.

I would not hesitate to book either an R, Signature, Vista or Pinnacle style ship, as long as I am on a dam ship, I am happy.

Edited by doone

To add to what Crew News and Kazu said, I also like the library on the smaller ships. Still stocked with some interesting reads and just a nice space to relax and watch the scenery go by.  The coffee shop is also in that space, so it's great to grab a coffee and read for a while.

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

The "R's" have three stairways as well as elevator banks (fwd, central and aft) 😃

I like this as well, but I do not like how deck 3 (I think thats the one) does not go all the way aft to forward.

1 hour ago, tommui987 said:

Almost the same feeling you get on Azamara Cruise - all their ships are "R" class

The "R"  Class ships of Azamara Cruises refer to the Cruise Line that had them built:  Renaissance Cruises.  They are not the same Class of ships as HAL's R Class.  HAL's R  Class is composed of Rotterdam, Volendam, Zaandam, and Amsterdam.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I like this as well, but I do not like how deck 3 (I think thats the one) does not go all the way aft to forward.

Deck 3/LP Deck can't go all the way fwd due to the fwd mooring deck - think anchors and winches - being in the way. So, it passes aft of that mooring deck (if that makes sense)

• Like 1

The cabins are larger, category being equal. Service is more personal. Atmosphere is more relaxed and serene.
Love that the R-class ships still have a library. Great promenade deck (Lower Promenade) for sitting in peace to watch the sea.
It's quick & easy to get from here to there and back again, without packing a lunch.

• Like 4

The Fall after the Zuiderdam came out, I was in line to get on the Volendam.  A Gentleman said to me "Father.  this is the last HAL ship.  That (pointing to the Zuiderdam) is the first Carnival Ship for Holland America."  Now you understand why some veteran HAL cruisers prefer the smaller ships.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Himself said:

The Fall after the Zuiderdam came out, I was in line to get on the Volendam.  A Gentleman said to me "Father.  this is the last HAL ship.  That (pointing to the Zuiderdam) is the first Carnival Ship for Holland America."  Now you understand why some veteran HAL cruisers prefer the smaller ships.

Which makes zero sense because Carnival purchased HAL in 1989.

2 hours ago, Himself said:

Actually, I like some of the Vista ships.  Especially the Westerdam when Captain Van Eerten was sailing her.

I don’t think the Carnival take over has anything to do with why HAL veterans like the R & S ships & just to add, the Prinsendam class.

But, that’s just me.  The experience is a bit different for a lot of reasons but one of them  is more crew to take care of passengers.  You pay for it in cruise fare often, but it’s worth it IMO.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Actually, I like some of the Vista ships.  Especially the Westerdam when Captain Van Eerten was sailing her.

I don’t think the Carnival take over has anything to do with why HAL veterans like the R & S ships & just to add, the Prinsendam class.

But, that’s just me.  The experience is a bit different for a lot of reasons but one of them  is more crew to take care of passengers.  You pay for it in cruise fare often, but it’s worth it IMO.

I too am okay with the Vista ships. I like the two Signature Class even more than the Vista Class ships. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, tommui987 said:

To expand on what aka cruiser posted.

HAL's and Azamara's R class ships are not the same at all.  Azamara's are roughly half the size.  Some comparisons:

HAL

Length - 778'

Gross Tonnage - 61,000 t  (Actually a bit under)

Passengers - 1432

Azamara

Length - 594'

Gross Tonnage - 30,000 t. (Actually a bit over)

Passengers - 668

19 hours ago, shanni-shanni said:

Is there a reason why?

Tom

It is good to have preferences, and everyone certainly should embrace their own. We love the R Class ships. The thermal spa suite is more intimate, and a million other reasons for us. After sailing the smaller ships these past few years we will be sailing a signature class this winter. Looking as forward to it as an R class ship. As long as i am on a HAL ship going somewhere, i dont mind what class i am in.