OV cabins on Zaandam

blythe

I understand that the amenities in an ocean view cabin are not quite the same as a balcony, but

will there be a hairdryer and a nightlight in the bathroom? It's been many years since we sailed a HAL ship.

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, blythe said:

will there be a hairdryer and a nightlight in the bathroom? 

Hairdryer?  Yes.  (Many ladies don't like the hairdryer's lack of "power".)  Nightlight in the bathroom?  No, unless you keep the bathroom's lights on.

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Hairdryer?  Yes.  (Many ladies don't like the hairdryer's lack of "power".)  Nightlight in the bathroom?  No, unless you keep the bathroom's lights on.

We learned early on to take a small battery operated light to leave on in the bathroom so there was no need for the full fluorescent display at night.  Just a small battery operated tea light is reflected enough on tile and mirrors to give all the light you will need.

7 hours ago, the2ofus said:

We learned early on to take a small battery operated light to leave on in the bathroom so there was no need for the full fluorescent display at night.  Just a small battery operated tea light is reflected enough on tile and mirrors to give all the light you will need.

Exactly what we do for a night light in the head.  1 tea light and a battery/week.

OP, do be aware that there is no "cooler" in OV cabins.  Hair dryers will be found at the desk in a drawer.

Thank you for the tips. My husband and I both have short hair that dries quickly so even a low-

powered hairdryer will probably suffice. The tea light is a good idea. Would never have thought

of that. I always take along a regular plug-in night light but not sure how many outlets there are in

the bathroom. I want to pack as lightly and efficiently as possible so appreciate all suggestions!

The cabins that have not been upgraded still have the old hair dryers in the bathroom, and they are very under powered. Also note if you are going to use a plug in night light the plug in the bathroom is very low amperage so the light will not be that bright (which for us was a good thing). Just remember to take the night light with you when you disembark.

The Zaandam is an old ship and gets very mixed reviews; however, I want to be as proactive as

possible in doing whatever I can to address any problematic issues, large or small. Normally, we

sail Celebrity in the Caribbean and nothing less than a balcony. I have packing for those cruises down to

a science! Some special circumstances find us sailing with other people this time. That, and the itinerary,

are primary and the ship is secondary. That said, I also want the shipboard experience to be as pleasant

as possible. I welcome any suggestions!

1 hour ago, skurvish said:

The cabins that have not been upgraded still have the old hair dryers in the bathroom, and they are very under powered.

The cabins also have a hand-held hair dryer in the desk drawers.

It's nice to know those old hair dryers haven't been removed on this ship! The outlet is down at a reasonable level, so can be reached by people who are not terribly tall. You can plug a toothbrush in them, and the charger can sit on the counter, instead of hanging in the air. The dryer is great for cleaning fog off the mirror after a shower, too.
They should never have been removed when cabins were redone.