Experiences with sold out excursions available later, please

2wheelin

Has anyone experienced a sold out excursion on line becoming available due to cancelations either before boarding or after? Tried booking an excursion for two and there was only one seat available (Jeep drive). Am wondering if there are cancelations, do they update the availability right away or wait until sailing, or never.

No, but we have lucked out after boarding the ship.  Sometimes there are cancellations, and sometimes they are able to add 1 or 2 people or put you on a wait list.  You can try the shore excursions desk, or if it's not open, guest services.

Sometimes there are cancellations....people get sick, or change their minds, or someone is too hung over from the night prior, or anything. Go make friends with the concierge at the Excursions Desk, and see if you can get them to put you on a waiting list - that's worked for me in the past.  

I experienced this once a few years back- we went ahead and booked the one spot, and went to the excursions desk once we were onboard and they were able to get us the second spot by the 2nd day. Our theory was that even if they couldn't get us the second spot we could always cancel and do something else...

We were going to Half Moon Cay with friends. Tried to make a reservation for a Cabana before the cruise and they were sold out. When we boarded, I went to the Excursion desk to ask about the Cabanas and was surprised that there were 3 available. I booked one and surprised our friends at dinner the night before at dinner.

Next morning, we met in the theater for tendering and it was announced that we were not going to be able tender and would bypass HMC. Got a full refund, but our luck with HMC is now only 2 out of 5. 😞

22 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

Thanks for all the encouraging replies. Thought about booking the one spot and canceling once on board if no luck with a second but isn’t there a cancelation fee involved then?

There was no cancellation fee for us- I asked at the excursion desk when we boarded and the person told us that if we didn't get the 2nd spot we could cancel without any issue. We got the 2nd slot the next day so it wasn't an issue.

If you're concerned, maybe give Carnival a call, in case something's changed?

5 hours ago, Shaded Lady said:

There was no cancellation fee for us- I asked at the excursion desk when we boarded and the person told us that if we didn't get the 2nd spot we could cancel without any issue. We got the 2nd slot the next day so it wasn't an issue.

If you're concerned, maybe give Carnival a call, in case something's changed?

I called just to ask if they had inventory not yet added to the availability. They did check and told me to keep checking as they may add in cancelations. Also told me no fee to cancel on board. All good to know.