Escape cagneys shrimp cocktail upcharge

gizfish

3 hours ago, myjillian said:

im ok with change...as long as they still come around and "scrape" the table of all the crumbs that have a tendency to stick to your forearms during the meal...i LOVE when they scrape the table...it makes me feel like i've made it.

1 hour ago, lonzwinery said:

I was on the Bliss last week (3/16 to 3/23) and they were, in fact, charging $4.95 for shrimp at Cagney's. Sure, I could've bought ten of them if I wanted to, but out of spite, I refused. Also had to tell my 3 boys "No." We ordered the Oysters Rockafeller instead, and they were not very good at all 🙁. Have to admit, although it's a nominal charge, and I can certainly afford it, it's pretty annoying when you're sold on one thing, but then you're given something else. And yes, I know they reserve the right to change things anytime they want.

You hit the nail on the head.  Its about principle.  Its about trends.  Customers pay for a meal package then once on board things change.  I have seen the change in Cagneys over the last 10 years and quite frankly their appetizers are not great and MDR quality at best.  The filet is still good but the sides are almost half what they used to be.  To be charged $5 plus 20% of something so tiny is annoying. Now if it was truly an upcharge appetizer and something they never served before then its fine.  But we all know what is next.  Upcharging in specialty restaurants never used to exist.  But now its going to be the norm.

10 years ago a specialty restaurant cover charge was worth it just for the atmosphere.  The restaurant was never crowded and the service was top notch. Now since everyone has the meal package, the tables are almost on top of eachother and its actually busier than the MDR on many nights.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, takeadip said:

im ok with change...as long as they still come around and "scrape" the table of all the crumbs that have a tendency to stick to your forearms during the meal...i LOVE when they scrape the table...it makes me feel like i've made it.

During the first cruise I ever took, many years ago, I was so ridiculously excited about this that my waiter gave me his scraper on the last night of the cruise. I still have it in my silverware drawer.

1 hour ago, takeadip said:

im dying laughing at this thread...

I imagine that a post that has everyone up in arms about some shrimp is like the equivalent of 15 people picketing with poorly written signs in pencil while standing at said location in the pitch dark....Translate: we can complain about change all we want but if no one hears us then its just "chatter" 

Thats not necessarily true. NCL rolled back liquor prices because of the backlash on these boards.

• Like 2

Would it be a surprise to anyone on this Board to know that the menu in the MDR changes with each NCL cruise, and may be reflective of the price one pays for the cruise?  I travel twice a year on the Gem, once at Christmas/New Year's (premium prices) and the other in February/President's weekend (still higher than normal per person but no where near the holiday pricing).   During the Holiday cruise, the MDR has Chateaubriand, Steak Diane, Rack of Lamb (you get the picture).  Everyone wonders why the Gem seems "off" food wise when we get back on in February and I believe this is the reason.  The MDR even has Souffles most nights during the Holiday Cruise!  Same ship (NCL Gem), same itineraries, but at least you get something for the premium pricing.  This has been my experience for at least three years in a row.  Looking forward to my 12/21/19 Holiday Cruise where everything on the ship is so special!!! And bracing for the February letdown (haha).

I tweeted them my concern with the added upcharge and they wanted to talk to me in a direct message and not answer my tweet publicly.  I haven't gotten back to them and I'm not sure I will, since I'd like this discussed out in the open.  I'm just very disappointed that they continue to add these small upcharges.  I love NCL,  I love that they sail out of the northeast and I don't want to switch,  but I just think they'd be better off raising the price of the cruise by $5 if they are so desperate for money for their stockholders.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pat said:

I tweeted them my concern with the added upcharge and they wanted to talk to me in a direct message and not answer my tweet publicly.  I haven't gotten back to them and I'm not sure I will, since I'd like this discussed out in the open.  

That response should've been expected.  No matter if the policy is right or wrong....it would be a PR nightmare for them to debate it with a random customer on social media.  

On 3/26/2019 at 12:02 PM, cdnsteelman said:

I can confirm it was not charged to me on my plat plus meal last week on the Pearl. Interestingly enough there was something new in that regard however. It was made clear by our server that the voucher included ONE starter OR soup/salad, ONE entree up to $25 (was $20 on my Epic cruise in Dec), ONE side, and ONE dessert. No multiple starters / soups / salads / sides with the voucher but a $5 increase on the entree you can order so that the classic ribeye @ $22 had no extra charge.

Can someone explain the $5 increase -- I don't understand thanks

2 hours ago, takeadip said:

LOL. Don't they still do that in the MDR on NCL?

1 hour ago, tumblew467 said:

Latitudes Platinum and above receive a free meal voucher that includes an entree up to $20. They’re reporting it was increased to up to $25 for an entree.

34 minutes ago, aeroo777 said:

Latitudes Platinum and above receive a free meal voucher that includes an entree up to $20. They’re reporting it was increased to up to $25 for an entree.

Probably because most of the entrees are over $20 now.

2 hours ago, tumblew467 said:

48 minutes ago, aeroo777 said:

They’re reporting it was increased to up to $25 for an entree.

From the Latitudes portion of the NCL website...

Benefit entitles each guest to one appetizer, one entrée and one dessert of your choice. Entrée items up to $25 are covered. For items over this amount, an upcharge will be added to your onboard account. Entrée item Côte De Boeuf Pour Deux in Le Bistro, is a shared dish and will be treated as two entrées. No restaurant substitutions, Names vary by ship. Restaurants not available on all ships.

3 hours ago, Surfsup2017 said:

Would it be a surprise to anyone on this Board to know that the menu in the MDR changes with each NCL cruise, and may be reflective of the price one pays for the cruise?  I travel twice a year on the Gem, once at Christmas/New Year's (premium prices) and the other in February/President's weekend (still higher than normal per person but no where near the holiday pricing).   During the Holiday cruise, the MDR has Chateaubriand, Steak Diane, Rack of Lamb (you get the picture).  Everyone wonders why the Gem seems "off" food wise when we get back on in February and I believe this is the reason.  The MDR even has Souffles most nights during the Holiday Cruise!  Same ship (NCL Gem), same itineraries, but at least you get something for the premium pricing.  This has been my experience for at least three years in a row.  Looking forward to my 12/21/19 Holiday Cruise where everything on the ship is so special!!! And bracing for the February letdown (haha).

I was once told that the menus which they select to be used on each cruise can be influenced by the mix of cruisers onboard.

This was on the Epic in the Med, where the age ranges or nationalities onboard can fluctuate quite a lot depending on national holiday dates etc (probably more than in some other areas). However, perhaps there is something similar going on in your example.

Anyone see a pattern within just months?

Grey Goose no longer included in the UBP (but eventually changed back due to backlash)

Increase in daily gratuity

Shrimp no longer included in the UDP and is an upcharge item

I wont even mention the activities or services that have increased too.   It seems there is a weekly meeting at NCL headquarters finding ways to squeeze another $30 out of every passenger.  I agree with a previous poster.  Next up:  Prime rib

6 hours ago, Pat said:

I tweeted them my concern with the added upcharge and they wanted to talk to me in a direct message and not answer my tweet publicly.  I haven't gotten back to them and I'm not sure I will, since I'd like this discussed out in the open.  I'm just very disappointed that they continue to add these small upcharges.  I love NCL,  I love that they sail out of the northeast and I don't want to switch,  but I just think they'd be better off raising the price of the cruise by $5 if they are so desperate for money for their stockholders.

You should let them respond via DM and then post it... or at least post their response here. I would be curious as to what they have to say about it. I don't use Twitter.

I just read on cc they are no longer making towel animals and now reading charging $5 for shrimp cocktail. There was a time you could get shrimp cocktail along with lobster in the MDR. With all the money increases and getting less I am not happy with NCL. Like someone said in a post above it may be time to try another cruise line.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:03 PM, AdoraBelle said:

I think I said it earlier in the thread, but my money is on complimentary prime rib being next on the chopping block. It’s always been my tradition on the last night of my cruise to run down to an early dinner at O’Sheehan’s for a quick and completely acceptable prime rib dinner (plus baked potato and corn on the cob), then back to the room to pack. Each time I wonder if it’ll be the last. 

On many ships, the nightly dinner specials are already gone, including prime rib. Examples Epic - Jan 2019, Pearl Nov 2018, Getaway September 2018. With Getaway, I did two consecutive weeks. 1st week had nightly specials in OSheehans and 2nd week did not. Some ships may still have nightly specials and some don't. Prime Rib was available in Garden Cafe on 1st and last evening, and in MDR on final evening.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 1:46 PM, Pat said:

I was just about to buy extra meals through the dining plan but have put that on hold,  I might as well eat in the main dining room  I AM really feeling nickeled and dimed to death by NCL and its really not even the money,  its just the way they go about it.   I booked a last minute cruise with them because I wanted to sail out of Boston,  but I will definitely be considering other lines,  I feel like I've accepted all the upcharges I want to from them.   

Think, from what I have read and heard from friends and relatives the nickel and diming everyone gripes about seems to be industry  wide. ..I hate the price hotels are charging now days, but I accept them or I just plain have to give up traveling. We have priced some 4 star AL, WOW and some of the bus trips, even higher than cruising and not all meals included.  .

• Like 1

If No one orders them and complains to  person in charge of restaurants then maybe they will roll it back. But if people buy it, then they  will up charge something else.  I would rather pay a bit more for the overall dining package  than to be charged on top of what you pay. It is getting ridiculous. Yes, all lines nickel and dime but the drink package is ridiculous,  when other lines charge $55-80 a day with higher  coast limit. Pretty soon we will only get the watered down, bottom shelf  pre made cocktails on a beverage plan.  The suits listen when their profit margins may be challenged. 

Edited by ALS1214
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, blcruising said:

On many ships, the nightly dinner specials are already gone, including prime rib. Examples Epic - Jan 2019, Pearl Nov 2018, Getaway September 2018. With Getaway, I did two consecutive weeks. 1st week had nightly specials in OSheehans and 2nd week did not. Some ships may still have nightly specials and some don't. Prime Rib was available in Garden Cafe on 1st and last evening, and in MDR on final evening.

Prime rib is no more in O'Sheehans you are right, but it is offered a couple of times on cruises, but it is offered in the MDR a couple of times. O'Sheehan's was never meant to be a place for dinner, it was meant to be and is a Pub like experience with sandwiches, snacks, etc. I  know a lot of people used to want to have dinner there but I never understood this. I think that is why they stopped serving prime rib or other dinner specials.