Have you been to Lindos?

awatt

I am undecided what to do in Rhodes. Lindos looks lovely, but I think will not leave much time to see Old Rhodes Town. Reviews on TripAdvisor are generally very good, with some reviews that Lindos is a tourist trap.  The  old town looks good too. Ship docks at 10, too late to join the all day tour that does both places.  If you went to Lindos, what are your thoughts and how much time did you spend there?

Edited by awatt

9 hours ago, iancal said:

IF pressed our decision would be to pass on Lindos.  Spend your limited time in Rhodes.

Thank you!  We are there 10 to 6 and I've been trying to figure out if Lindos is a must do or not.

Lindos is a beautiful place with a beach but the main place to visit is the Acropolis, from here you will get fabulous views of the area. However there is a very steep walk up to the top and it's  best to do this early morning or later in the day when it's  cooler. There are donkeys to take you up but it is questionable as to how these are treated. There are tiny shops and cafes which are quite charming. It's  almost an hour to Lindos so the trip would take up quite a bit of your day.  Rhodes town us very pleasant to walk around and you would have time for a leisurely lunch.  It's for you to decide.

With a 10 to 6 day in port, I would skip Lindos and just enjoy a more relaxed pace in Old Town Rhodes.  I enjoyed Lindos, but as mentioned above, the only thing I really did was walk up the path to the Acropolis and enjoy the views and the remaining remnants of history.  This Acropolis is not as impressive as the one in Athens, if you are also going there.  However, it is still a very historically significant place.  But I would save it for your next trip to the island.

I agree. Enjoy Rhodes old town. Don't miss the archaeological museum -- it's located in the building that previously served as the hospital of the Knights of Saint John and was built in the 15th century -- it has a lot of unusual pieces as well. 

Many people don't realize that the acropolis at Lindos is not the only acropolis on Rhodes -- there is another one just a short distance uphill (about 2 miles) from the center of the city of Rhodes. It is not as scenic or well preserved but I enjoyed seeing it (you also have views across to Turkey from the park where the Rhodes acropolis is located on a clear day).

I asked a taxi driver to take me there from Rhodes Town. It was only a few euros.  More info on what can be seen there:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acropolis_of_Rhodes

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Annie43 said:

Can I walk into the old city of Rhodes from the cruise port? I have read that the Avenue of the Knights is a must see, but what else would you suggest? Thank you!

Yes.  You will be directly adjacent to the walled Old Town of Rhodes.  You will enter the town via one of a few entrance gates that are within easy walking distance of the ships.  It's a very easy port to walk off the ship and enjoy the sites.

6 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Yes.  You will be directly adjacent to the walled Old Town of Rhodes.  You will enter the town via one of a few entrance gates that are within easy walking distance of the ships.  It's a very easy port to walk off the ship and enjoy the sites.

Yes, agree with above as our ship docking point in Rhodes was close and very handy to the charming and walled Old Town.  We did BOTH Lindos and this Old Town area when visiting last November.  Much to see and enjoy.  Need proof?  Below are some visuals.  Much more on my live/blog that is connected below.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Plus, Rhodes, Patmos, Cyprus, etc.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Here is a sample of some of the visuals from our visit to Lindos, its acropolis, the ruins, their scenic/historic resort village, its old church and inside this religious structure that was so movingly decorated in the Greek Orthodox tradition.  Finally, you can see a cute cat guarding the narrow steps and path as we climbed up and UP to the top of this site.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMY_6932.thumb.jpg.129c7d824da02c4f88b698fd4ca68c5f.jpg

CMY_6957.thumb.jpg.d59c2a521e5e9d28e920677f014f0d4a.jpg

CMY_6971.thumb.jpg.e56528660f0ae0ea96727b3685cf8e9a.jpg

CMY_6981.thumb.jpg.79866e4c631e31dfeea11c36ffd68ec3.jpg

CMY_6975.thumb.jpg.2c0618f3ad74369db6b2d1c21160c0e6.jpg

CMY_7001.thumb.jpg.8e3652c4225e6ee4e5b5fdb828eea642.jpg

CMY_6987.thumb.jpg.177d16bba22005fcbf35ab69d995eb21.jpg