FORWARD CABINS

aaalynn1

Having never booked a forward cabin, can anyone tell me if there is a definite type of motion or none at all?   We loved the aft cabin on the Dream which felt like we were being rocked to sleep, now we are excited to try the other end of the ship!

Not really.  I have stayed in every combination of deck and location you can imagine and there really isn't as much difference as some make it out to be.  If the ship is moving it is moving, if it isn't it isn't. 

Go sit in the middle and then go to your forward cabin and you cannot perceive the difference in felt motion.  Porthole cabins are some of our favorites and my wife is as motion sensitive as anyone out there.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 1

If there is motion to be felt, it will be felt up forward.

Whether it'll affect you, depends on you and your stomach

and the balance mechanisms in your ears!

We had Cabin 6207 on Carnival Victory. Deck 6, right up front.
the 'Secret deck' was the next door along from ours

At night you could hear the boom and bang of the swells

as the bow cut thru them.

Into port, and out of port, you'll hear the whine of the bow thruster motors

and then the rumble when the thrusters are engaged fer real

- not a big deal.

The one time I was affected by motion sickness (and some others too)

we were heading up-swell and up-weather from St. Lucia

travelling the 110 miles Eastward to Barbados.

Like any cruise, it's Luck!

UnderWay-89.jpg

BowDeck-587.jpg

My last 3 cruises I've stayed in forward cabins on 8, 9 & 12. ALL the way forward! As in within 2-7 cabins from the very front... and we've never had an issue with feeling motion in the cabin, except one cruise where it was so rocky that we watched dishes and trays slide off tables in the Lido buffet area!

We're staying on Lido deck, again forward, for our Vista cruise in June- no hesitation or concern at all!

• Like 2

Deck 2 fwd was quite the trip.  The  loudness of the dropping anchor and waves smashing against the front of the ship just enhanced the experience.  I mean after all, I was in the bowels of the ship in the front, I expected it.  Check. been there done that, no need for it again.   (1st cruise, I was a newbie)

Deck 11 forward brought us noticeable rocking which was super nice to sleep by and kind of fun sitting out on the balcony, with its gentle swaying.  My preference is aft, close to the adult only pool, 24 hour ice cream and a long walk to the fitness center to work off the 24 hour ice cream....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aaalynn1 said:

Having never booked a forward cabin, can anyone tell me if there is a definite type of motion or none at all?   We loved the aft cabin on the Dream which felt like we were being rocked to sleep, now we are excited to try the other end of the ship!

See Woodfaerie below.

5 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

I'm curious, too. I'm used to staying right smack dab midship, but we're almost all the way forward this next cruise, and part of me is second-guessing.

See Woodfaerie below.

3 hours ago, Woodfaerie said:

Deck 2 fwd was quite the trip.  The  loudness of the dropping anchor and waves smashing against the front of the ship just enhanced the experience.  I mean after all, I was in the bowels of the ship in the front, I expected it.  Check. been there done that, no need for it again.   (1st cruise, I was a newbie)

Could not agree more.....worst cruise out of my 33 was all the way forward on deck two in a porthole cabin with the anchor and the waves.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Luv2cruz1000 said:

Loved the forward cabin. We too were right next to the secret deck. Felt some movement but well worth the deck that very few used.

Sorry we are on deck 9,( interior picture window) Lido and very quiet. I would stay away from areas of known noise!

• Like 1

On our last cruise to Hawaii last month we were just above the bridge as far forward as you can get.

Ran into a rather severe storm first night out and was probably the worst night of cruising we have had in 40 or so cruises.

Rest of the time cabin was fine but they will close the secret deck quite a bit when the ship is at sea.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Particularly bad for children. Lower aft cabins are best for them.

So sorry but we have the most forward rooms on lido deck on the Glory for this April cruise-3 rooms, five children in all......😉

13 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We always book on Panorama Deck as far forward as possible.   I can honestly say we haven't notice any more movement up there than from any where else on the ship. 

Maybe its a remnant from the days of older/smaller ships with more movement up front? 

• Like 1

My last two cruises (Fantasy in V1 and NCL Sky in 9203) I have stayed on the port side in the cabins most forward. I love it. I can feel a bit of motion but it's never "bothered" me. I picked a similar cabin for my Princess cruise (L109). On my RCCL (Navigator 1344) cruise in September I'll be aft and I'm curious as to the difference.

• Like 1

We always stay in forward cabins, either one of the first few portholes or obstructed view under the bridge. We've never had any problems...but we don't know anything else. We like them because you don't have hall noise to deal with.

• Like 1