Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ProfCruise

Tips for departing from Seattle from a downtown resident

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

I just posted some tips for sailing out of Seattle to my blog.  I thought I'd post here in case it's helpful to anyone.  I'm also happy to try to answer any questions you might have.  I live downtown and have sailed out of Pier 66 and Pier 91 many times. 

 

https://profcruise.com/a-downtown-residents-best-tips-for-cruising-out-of-seattle-in-2019/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the helpful information.

 

We would be arriving around 11am, 1 day pre cruise.  We are 2-70 yrs old ladies with knee problems so a lot of walking might be out.

 

I was thinking of Inn at the Market or Mayflower and going to Pike Market since we might not get to the hotel until 1pm. Any preferences between the two hotels?

 

How would we get to the hotel from the airport with luggage?

Edited by phabric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, phabric said:

Thanks for the helpful information.

 

We would be arriving around 11am, 1 day pre cruise.  We are 2-70 yrs old ladies with knee problems for a lot of walking.

 

I was thinking of Inn at the Market or Mayflower and going to Pike Market since we might not get to the hotel until 1pm. Any preferences between the two hotels?

 

How would we get to the hotel from the airport with luggage?

 

Hello!  Those are both very nice hotels.  In order to minimize walking (since you'll already be doing a good deal of walking through the market), I'd go with the Inn at the Market if I was you.  It's right IN the market.  Can't beat the location.  The Mayflower is about 4 blocks up hill from the market.  In terms of getting to the hotel from the airport, your best options with luggage are a taxi, Lyft/Uber, or shuttle.  There is a short walk with your luggage to where they will pick you up, but you should be okay.  Pick-ups will be on the third floor in the parking garage at the ground transportation plaza.  Just follow the signs for your selected form of transportation.  Have a fabulous trip!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Sarah (ProfCruise) your blog is most helpful for first time visitors.  From Pier 91 to SeaTac would you say a taxi would be most cost effective, compared to Shared Shuttle and Cruise line transfer for two people with luggage? It seems the taxi basic rate is reasonable but it's the add-ons which drives the cost up. 

 

Thanks again for your time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Penzance said:

Thank you Sarah (ProfCruise) your blog is most helpful for first time visitors.  From Pier 91 to SeaTac would you say a taxi would be most cost effective, compared to Shared Shuttle and Cruise line transfer for two people with luggage? It seems the taxi basic rate is reasonable but it's the add-ons which drives the cost up. 

 

Thanks again for your time.

 

Hey Penzance,

 

With two people it's not going to be a huge difference in cost whichever way you go, assuming traffic isn't a major factor.  What day of the week are you coming back?  If it's a weekday and cost is your most important factor, I might lean more toward the shared shuttle if you don't mind waiting a few extra minutes for the shuttle to load up with people and you aren't in a huge rush to the airport.  Taxi will definitely be the most convenient.  I've taken a taxi from Pier 91 (home, not to the airport though) and it's quick and easy.

 

Have a great cruise!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wow, nicely done ProfCruise.  I would though, strongly suggest that folks do not walk to Pier 91.  I ran into two ladies who accidentally went to Pier 66 and were told that it was a short walk to 91.  It took them 2 hours pulling their luggage behind them.  One (~70 yr old) needed wheelchair assistance when she arrived at 91.  If someone does decide to walk, they need to know that basically once you commit to walking that bike/pedestrian trail, you will have to walk to the end.

 

Another poster just asked about taking Metro to Pier 91.  Maybe you could film the bus ride and show the stairs down to  Pier 91.

 

 

Edited by Ferry_Watcher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Wow, nicely done ProfCruise.  I would though, strongly suggest that folks do not walk to Pier 91.  I ran into two ladies who accidentally went to Pier 66 and were told that it was a short walk to 91.  It took them 2 hours pulling their luggage behind them.  One (~70 yr old) needed wheelchair assistance when she arrived at 91.  If someone does decide to walk, they need to know that basically once you commit to walking that bike/pedestrian trail, you will have to walk to the end.

 

Another poster just asked about taking Metro to Pier 91.  Maybe you could film the bus ride and show the stairs down to the Pier 91.

 

 

 

You're right about the walk from Pier 66 to Pier 91.  From Pier 66 it's well over 2 miles (flat, but far) and there is no way to get off the trail once you're on it.  It's only for the heartiest and cheapest of folks!  Thanks for the suggestion on the bus - that's a great idea! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, phabric said:

I was thinking of Inn at the Market or Mayflower and going to Pike Market since we might not get to the hotel until 1pm. Any preferences between the two hotels?

 

The Inn at the Market would be our choice over the Mayflower. The location across from the market is ideal and they have a wonderful rooftop deck with views over the market to Elliott Bay. The one minor issue with the Inn is that it is located on a fairly steep block although a short walk down to the market or up to 1st Ave. They do have an exit to 1st Ave which alleviates the hill.

 

I saw some folks that had pulled their luggage from Pier 91, after getting off their cruise ship, to Pier 70 and regretted doing it.  There are two areas that have access off the trail.   One is the West Thompson Pedestrian Bridge and the second is the Helix Bridge. They both provide access to Elliott Ave from the trail.

 

Edited by Glaciers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve seen a number of people walking from downtown to Pier 91. I call them cheapster’s for not wanting to spend what it costs to get out to Pier 91. Our tablemates one year were one of them. His wife was livid at him for talking her into walking from the link train station to Pier 91, on the map it doesn’t look that far.

We had a couple with 3 small kids at our table one year and they parked there car up in Ballard. He dropped his wife and kids off at Pier 91, he parked the car and ran back to Pier 91 from Ballard, he said it took him about 35 minutes of running to Pier 91 while his wife and kids waited for him, he said he saved about $50 less expensive than parking his car at the Seattle cruise ship parking lot behind the Armory. My wife would skin me alive if I dropped her at the pier and made her wait an hour for me to get back.

What is the best way to get to Pier 91 from the South now that the viaduct is gone? Is it best to up Hwy 99, go through the new tunnel and take the exit onto Dexter, turn left and go to Mercer, left on Mercer and down to Elliott Ave? Or would it be better to stay on I-5 north bound and exit onto Mercer? I hate driving in Seattle traffic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eaglecw said:

What is the best way to get to Pier 91 from the South now that the viaduct is gone? Is it best to up Hwy 99, go through the new tunnel and take the exit onto Dexter, turn left and go to Mercer, left on Mercer and down to Elliott Ave? Or would it be better to stay on I-5 north bound and exit onto Mercer? I hate driving in Seattle traffic.

 

Either would be okay.  I'm no fan of the 99/Dexter/Mercer route, but if you want to use SR 99 (or if you have to because I-5 is too crowded) then I'd also give strong consideration to just getting off at Dearborn and taking Alaskan Way all the way past Pier 70 and connect to Elliott Avenue.  Once the tunnel is tolled, this will also help you avoid the toll.  It might take a little longer than the tunnel + Mercer, but it might not.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'll keep my original plan and go up I-5 to Mercer and head West on Mercer to Elliott Ave. Going North on Alaskan Way isn't an option, it's goes right passed Pier 66 and the Bliss will be loading on the day we go, to much congestion there. I might go though the tunnel just to see what it's like, the toll is no big deal. Last year we had to get off the viaduct at  Royal Brougham and go North on 1st Ave to Denny and then over to Elliott, that route really sucked. I remember the first cruise we took out of Seattle left from Pier 30, it was easy to get to from the South end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Morning,

I have read your posts and they have provided invaluable information.  I have a question that I cannot find an answer for and was hoping you could help.  We are cruising on the HAL Eurodam. Departing Seattle on 5/25 and returning on 6/1/19. We are arriving in Seattle late on 5/23 and have booked an AirBnb near Sea-Tac.  Our return flight to Boston departs on 6/2 at 3:30 from Sea-Tac. We have booked a different AirBnb for 6/1.  Here is the problem, the ship docks at 7:00 am on 6/1.  We cannot drop our bags at the AirBnb until later in the day.  We were hoping to explore Seattle but need to store our bags somewhere until the afternoon. I don't believe we can use the Port Valet service since our flight departs late on the following day and we may need some of the items in our luggage overnight.  I tried contacting the cruise port, but their reply was not helpful. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, julie2s said:

Good Morning,

I have read your posts and they have provided invaluable information.  I have a question that I cannot find an answer for and was hoping you could help.  We are cruising on the HAL Eurodam. Departing Seattle on 5/25 and returning on 6/1/19. We are arriving in Seattle late on 5/23 and have booked an AirBnb near Sea-Tac.  Our return flight to Boston departs on 6/2 at 3:30 from Sea-Tac. We have booked a different AirBnb for 6/1.  Here is the problem, the ship docks at 7:00 am on 6/1.  We cannot drop our bags at the AirBnb until later in the day.  We were hoping to explore Seattle but need to store our bags somewhere until the afternoon. I don't believe we can use the Port Valet service since our flight departs late on the following day and we may need some of the items in our luggage overnight.  I tried contacting the cruise port, but their reply was not helpful. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.  

 

Hi Julie,

 

Sounds like you're in store for an awesome trip!  I recommend checking into this: https://bagsaway.ca/luggage-storage/Seattle?gclid=CjwKCAjw-ZvlBRBbEiwANw9UWqEeWDct_MikVW7qypBtZgA5RVGis6RlC1zR2ksqTam82Id-50UU3xoCfNQQAvD_BwE

 

I haven't used it personally, so I can't vouch for it, but I know people who have used it.  Have a fantastic cruise and trip to Seattle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here’s another baggage storage site for Seattle. I hadn’t heard of either of these two booking sites so know nothing about them.

https://bagbnb.com/luggage-storage/seattle

 

 

Both the Edgewater Hotel on the waterfront and the Green Tortoise Hostel across the street from Pike Place Market have luggage storage for non-guests.

Edited by Glaciers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, julie2s said:

Good Morning,

I have read your posts and they have provided invaluable information.  I have a question that I cannot find an answer for and was hoping you could help.  We are cruising on the HAL Eurodam. Departing Seattle on 5/25 and returning on 6/1/19. We are arriving in Seattle late on 5/23 and have booked an AirBnb near Sea-Tac.  Our return flight to Boston departs on 6/2 at 3:30 from Sea-Tac. We have booked a different AirBnb for 6/1.  Here is the problem, the ship docks at 7:00 am on 6/1.  We cannot drop our bags at the AirBnb until later in the day.  We were hoping to explore Seattle but need to store our bags somewhere until the afternoon. I don't believe we can use the Port Valet service since our flight departs late on the following day and we may need some of the items in our luggage overnight.  I tried contacting the cruise port, but their reply was not helpful. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.  

Have you priced a rental car for the second visit?  Shuttle to the rental car office from the ship, store your bags in the car while you tour around, then use it to get to the airport the second day.  Do the price comparison including taxis downtown and to the airport.  

 

If you use National/Alamo/Enterprise, they'll take you on their shuttle to their downtown rental office, which is in a parking garage a couple of blocks from the Pike Place market.  I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue if you put your bags in the trunk and walked around, then later went back to the garage and took the car.  It might save some parking costs during the day.  Depending on where your Airbnb is located, it might also make for an easier time getting around for dinner, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are driving north on I-5 to Terminal 91.  What exit do we take off I-5 to get to the terminal?  Thankfully, we are driving up on a Sunday morning!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GuardCruisers said:

We are driving north on I-5 to Terminal 91.  What exit do we take off I-5 to get to the terminal?  Thankfully, we are driving up on a Sunday morning!

Hard to tell. Depends on the time of day, accidents, construction.  Sunday shouldn’t be too bad. If you use something like Google Maps it will route you the best way.  I just used it and the fasted route isn’t on I5 at all, it’s up 509/99 and through the new tunnel, if starting from the airport.

 

From I5 it would be the Mercer St exit, 167.

Edited by Glaciers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2019 at 11:44 AM, ProfCruise said:

 

Hi Julie,

 

Sounds like you're in store for an awesome trip!  I recommend checking into this: https://bagsaway.ca/luggage-storage/Seattle?gclid=CjwKCAjw-ZvlBRBbEiwANw9UWqEeWDct_MikVW7qypBtZgA5RVGis6RlC1zR2ksqTam82Id-50UU3xoCfNQQAvD_BwE

 

I haven't used it personally, so I can't vouch for it, but I know people who have used it.  Have a fantastic cruise and trip to Seattle!

 

Edited by julie2s
did not type response

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks you for the recommendation.  I checked Bags away and sadly I think I have waited too long as all the locations are filled.  Lesson learned.  I should have asked sooner.  It was a great suggestion though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can store your bags at Pier 91, but they need to be picked up by 3pm.  (of course double check the exact time if you use the service).  The downside to using the storage facility at Pier 91 is that it is so out of the way from the rest of Seattle.  If you do decide to use it, it is located in the Concierge office to the left of the terminal exit doors as you leave.  Not sure of the cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be getting off our Ovation ALASKA cruise Friday, May 24th & staying that night at the Sleep Inn near SeaTac.  We could not get a flight back to Orlando until Sat. AM.  What do you recommend we use to get from the Pier to the Sleep Inn on Friday when we disembark?

 

Thanks in advance for your recommendations 🙂

 

donnablue

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, donnablue said:

We will be getting off our Ovation ALASKA cruise Friday, May 24th & staying that night at the Sleep Inn near SeaTac.  We could not get a flight back to Orlando until Sat. AM.  What do you recommend we use to get from the Pier to the Sleep Inn on Friday when we disembark?

 

Thanks in advance for your recommendations 🙂

 

donnablue

 

 

 

Hi donnablue,

 

How exciting!  The easiest option would be to just hop into a taxi.  They will pull up right near the terminal exit and will be readily available.  You could also use Lyft/Uber if you are comfortable with those - that route will be a bit cheaper.  Either way, I'd suggest taking your time to disembark so you head out after rush hour.  Enjoy a nice leisurely breakfast in the dining room and wait until they kick you off.  At least that's what I'd do.  LOL.  Have a great cruise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2019 at 9:57 AM, ProfCruise said:

 

Hey Penzance,

 

With two people it's not going to be a huge difference in cost whichever way you go, assuming traffic isn't a major factor.  What day of the week are you coming back?  If it's a weekday and cost is your most important factor, I might lean more toward the shared shuttle if you don't mind waiting a few extra minutes for the shuttle to load up with people and you aren't in a huge rush to the airport.  Taxi will definitely be the most convenient.  I've taken a taxi from Pier 91 (home, not to the airport though) and it's quick and easy.

 

Have a great cruise!!! 

Thank you ProfCruise. We disembark on a Saturday and our flight is at 1.09 pm. so we plan to have time for breakfast in the MDR before getting a taxi around 9:30 - 10 am.  Would you say this is enough time for the journey? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Penzance said:

Thank you ProfCruise. We disembark on a Saturday and our flight is at 1.09 pm. so we plan to have time for breakfast in the MDR before getting a taxi around 9:30 - 10 am.  Would you say this is enough time for the journey? 

 

Yes, that should be fine for a Saturday.  Consider taking advantage of Port Valet (it's free) so you don't have to wait to check your luggage at the airport.  Will save you time and hassle.   Enjoy!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Celebrity Edge in Europe Sweepstakes
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...