Princess Cruises Confirms Two New Cruise Ships

UPNYGuy

Princess announced two new 175,000 GRT NextGen ships today. These will be built at the Fincantieri Monfalcone shipyard, and delivery will start in 2023. These will have an approx capacity of 4,300 guests at dual occupancy, and be LNG fueled. 

• Like 1

Ships just keep getting bigger and bigger. Don't get me wrong I love cruising on big ships as much as I do on small and medium sized ships but pretty soon all these ships will only be big enough to fit the same old boring ports that can hold them. Same old boring itineraries due to the size.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Georgie562 said:

Ships just keep getting bigger and bigger. Don't get me wrong I love cruising on big ships as much as I do on small and medium sized ships but pretty soon all these ships will only be big enough to fit the same old boring ports that can hold them. Same old boring itineraries due to the size.

And overwhelming crowds in port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DW and I tend to be flexible on ship size up to a point. We have sailed on Oceania's R class (exact sisters to Pacific Princess), up to MSC Meraviglia (almost 172,000 GRT and 45000 double occupancy). Layout and pax flow matters just as much as how large the ship is IMHO. However, the smaller ships do give a more community oriented feel. Itinerary and ports matter a bit more to us than the ship size. But, the smaller ships tend to have more interesting and varied sailings. 

It is a give and take. 

10 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Is this new news?  I had previously seen ship build lists going out to 2025 I think.

Likely this is old news. Here is the Princess press release from eight months ago announcing the coming of the two LNG powered ships:

https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2018/07/Princess-Cruises-to-Build-Two-Next-Generation-LNG-Cruise-Ships.html

Since the OP declined to provide a link or even name the source of their information we actually have no idea if it is a rehash the July 2018 announcement or the possibility that Princess has increased the order from two to four ships 🤔

• Thanks 1

I really don't care so much about the size. For us it's all about indoor and outdoor passenger public space, lounges, viewing areas, pools, more elevators, and promenade. I hope they get it right this time, because in my opinion they didn't do so well on Royal class ship design.

We also don't like class design with certain venues reserved for certain cabin categories.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, skynight said:

I really don't care so much about the size. For us it's all about indoor and outdoor passenger public space, lounges, viewing areas, pools, more elevators, and promenade. I hope they get it right this time, because in my opinion they didn't do so well on Royal class ship design.

We also don't like class design with certain venues reserved for certain cabin categories.

With hundreds more passengers, dont you think that will impact public space, elevators, pools and viewing areas?  It certainly will have an impact on those things.  They wont be hanging the extra passengers over the side of the ship.

Edited by stoneharborlady
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Is this new news?  I had previously seen ship build lists going out to 2025 I think.

Yes it is. They have signed a contract for the order instead of only having a memorandum of understanding before.

See Link:

http://www.seatrade-*****/news/news-headlines/princess-firms-order-for-pair-of-175-000gt-cruise-ships-at-fincantieri.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishywood said:

Likely this is old news. Here is the Princess press release from eight months ago announcing the coming of the two LNG powered ships:

https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2018/07/Princess-Cruises-to-Build-Two-Next-Generation-LNG-Cruise-Ships.html

Since the OP declined to provide a link or even name the source of their information we actually have no idea if it is a rehash the July 2018 announcement or the possibility that Princess has increased the order from two to four ships 🤔

This is an actual contract signing...

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/princess-cruises-and-fincantieri-sign-contracts-for-two-next-generation-cruise-ships-300819469.html

before, it was just a memorandum of understanding. 

Edited by UPNYGuy
  • Thanks 1

hopefully Carnival Corporate/Princess will have multiple CC members on the ship design team to make sure passenger comforts ( Return of the barrel chair ) and preferences (Crooners in all its' prior glory):classic_rolleyes:

are well represented in lieu of corporate profits ...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, voljeep said:

hopefully Carnival Corporate/Princess will have multiple CC members on the ship design team to make sure passenger comforts ( Return of the barrel chair ) and preferences (Crooners in all its' prior glory):classic_rolleyes:

are well represented in lieu of corporate profits ...

I will volunteer my services to the design team.  However, it may be too late.  If they have signed a contract for the ships, I would expect the designing to be complete.  The shipyard could not give them a price without having seen final plans.