How do you handle the Cruise Anticipation Crazies?

cloudninecat

First a little background. We took our first cruise in Dec 2016 for our 20th wedding anniversary and then shortly after booking decided we'd rather extend our cruise then stay in New Orleans for a few days, so we booked the next one directly after it (a B2B). Just as I knew I would I loved it. While on the ship I booked my 3rd cruise (if you count my b2b as 2) for Feb 2017 for me and a friend. Then when I got home I talked my husband into booking one with the whole family for July 2017. We had a great time but then the reality of what all those cruises costed us set in. Also the fact that we're both close to retirement age and we just discovered what we want to do when we retire, cruise, a lot. We put ourself on a budget and decided to payoff everything we owe, including our house and live completely debt free (think Dave Ramsey). We're due to have everything paid off by July 2020.😎 

Now on to the question portion. I'm officially a cruiseaholic but my pocketbook won't allow a cruise several times a year, yet. While it was always in the back of my mind, "Boy I wish I was on a cruise. I kind of got use to the fact that I'm not on, nor will I be going on one soon. However, since we're due to be out of debt in 2020 and we don't know how long Cuba will be open to US Travelers we booked a B2B cruise for Nov 2020 with the first leg going to Cuba. Now I have the cruise crazies. I can't stop thinking about it. Those of you that book more than a year in advance, how do you handle the anticipation? What are your tricks to keep your mind off how long it is until your next cruise while you wait? . Surely I'm not alone with the cruise crazies. 😨

I research the ports online, I watch youtube videos of not only the ship but of the ports as well.  I spend a lot of time pre-planning!  I join the facebook page for the cruise I have booked and hope that the page is very active.  We usually cruise with family/friends, so  we get together to discuss excursions, the trip to the port, etc.  Oh yeah, and working to pay for the cruise keeps my pretty occupied too   😂  On the Breeze 6/1/19 and the Mardi Gras 9/30/20 😍

• Like 2

Here's a recent thread that discusses it:

As for me, I don't get the "cruise anticipation crazies" anymore.  I used to be a little cruise-obsessed, but not so much anymore.  I still love to cruise, but I am just fine not cruising, too.  I have a very full life with plenty of other things going on that the time between cruises now (even more than a year apart sometimes) seems to go by quickly.  Back when I did get the "crazies", I used to research everything cruise-related constantly, chat incessantly on CC roll calls, and talk cruising to anyone and everyone everywhere I went.  I must have been pretty annoying.:classic_blush:

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

You book another one, before that time

to 'fill in the spaces' as it were.

Maybe two, not just one.... be careful.

Oh how I wish I could but that one is a no no. We're paying for this one BEFORE we go. Learned my lesson on that one. Until we're completely out of debt and have the money to pay for everything in advance we're not going. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

As for me, I don't get the "cruise anticipation crazies" anymore.  I used to be a little cruise-obsessed, but not so much anymore.  I still love to cruise, but I am just fine not cruising, too.  I have a very full life with plenty of other things going on that the time between cruises now (even more than a year apart sometimes) seems to go by quickly.  Back when I did get the "crazies", I used to research everything cruise-related constantly, chat incessantly on CC roll calls, and talk cruising to anyone and everyone everywhere I went.  I must have been pretty annoying.:classic_blush:

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I don't work so I have a lot of time during the day. Once it gets warmer and I'm busy with my hobbies outside again hopefully things will improve. I know I'm annoying. It's all I can do not to talk cruise with family and friends. I could live on a cruise ship and be perfectly happy. 

5 minutes ago, cloudninecat said:

Oh how I wish I could but that one is a no no. We're paying for this one BEFORE we go. Learned my lesson on that one. Until we're completely out of debt and have the money to pay for everything in advance we're not going. 

Congrats on going debt-free!  Are you going to call Dave and do the "Debt Free Shout"?:classic_smile:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cloudninecat said:

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I don't work so I have a lot of time during the day. Once it gets warmer and I'm busy with my hobbies outside again hopefully things will improve. I know I'm annoying. It's all I can do not to talk cruise with family and friends. I could live on a cruise ship and be perfectly happy. 

Please don't for a moment think I was implying that you or anyone else here is annoying with their "crazies".  I was simply talking about me.  I would talk peoples' ears off if they stood still long enough.🤭

Just now, ShakyBeef said:

Congrats on going debt-free!  Are you going to call Dave and do the "Debt Free Shout"?:classic_smile:

I want to go in person but the husband isn't so keen on it. At the very least I'll do the shout on his radio program. I haven't been completely debt free since I was in my early 20's. 

• Like 2

I do a lot of research.  I study the ports and read all the reviews from other web sites of all the excursions, even the ones I'd never go on.  I watch a lot of YouTube videos about the ports, and about the ship, even if I've been on the ship and/or the excursion before.  I go to the FunShop and browse (but rarely buy).  I watch to see how my room category is selling with mock bookings, and if there's a price drop (hasn't been in years-I book early-but I still watch).  I follow a famous Carnival brand ambassador who offers tips and news and sometimes an excursion or spa discount.  I research plane fare and hotel bookings.  What else does a person have to do at work?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ShakyBeef said:

Please don't for a moment think I was implying that you or anyone else here is annoying with their "crazies".  I was simply talking about me.  I would talk peoples' ears off if they stood still long enough.🤭

Oh no I didn't take it the wrong way. I knew what you meant. 

• Thanks 1

Well, we didn't cruise between 2010 and 2017, because life happened, so really didn't think much about it after a year or two in to the hiatus. But once we realized we were in a place financially to be able to book one again, the cruise fever set in and since we can only realistically do one a year, it makes for a long year in between. So, I feel ya on the "cruise crazies" :classic_laugh:

22 minutes ago, nanabren2 said:

I research the ports online, I watch youtube videos of not only the ship but of the ports as well.  I spend a lot of time pre-planning!  I join the facebook page for the cruise I have booked and hope that the page is very active.  We usually cruise with family/friends, so  we get together to discuss excursions, the trip to the port, etc.  Oh yeah, and working to pay for the cruise keeps my pretty occupied too

This is pretty much what we do, and we will come home from work and watch cruise and port related youtube videos for a bit to remind us what we are working for!! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cloudninecat said:

It's all I can do not to talk cruise with family and friends.

Well that's one thing CC is good for - you can always find people here willing to discuss even the most obscure cruise-related minutia ad infinitum.  It helps spare our non-cruising loved ones the pain of our cruise-obsessed discourse.:classic_wink::classic_rolleyes:🤣 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cloudninecat said:

I want to go in person but the husband isn't so keen on it. At the very least I'll do the shout on his radio program. I haven't been completely debt free since I was in my early 20's. 

I hear they've got some great fresh-baked cookies in the lobby.:classic_wink:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, naxer said:

I do a lot of research.  I study the ports and read all the reviews from other web sites of all the excursions, even the ones I'd never go on.  I watch a lot of YouTube videos about the ports, and about the ship, even if I've been on the ship and/or the excursion before.  I go to the FunShop and browse (but rarely buy).  I watch to see how my room category is selling with mock bookings, and if there's a price drop (hasn't been in years-I book early-but I still watch).  I follow a famous Carnival brand ambassador who offers tips and news and sometimes an excursion or spa discount.  I research plane fare and hotel bookings.  What else does a person have to do at work?

Oh you could be me. Nice to know I'm not alone. 

1 minute ago, ShakyBeef said:

Well that's one thing CC is good for - you can always find people here willing to discuss even the most obscure cruise-related minutia ad infinitum.  It helps spare our non-cruising loved ones the pain of our cruise-obsessed discourse.:classic_wink::classic_rolleyes:🤣 

Truth.  When people ask me about a cruise or cruising, they've learned that I could happily go on for weeks.  Hot sauces available at Guy's is worthy of an afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, naxer said:

Truth.  When people ask me about a cruise or cruising, they've learned that I could happily go on for weeks.  Hot sauces available at Guy's is worthy of an afternoon.

Sounds like you should go to Disney Springs. Fieri’s new restaurant, Chicken Guy, has a lot of different sauces.

I research the heck out of my cruise...plan excursions, hotels before and after, the ship, etc. I watch videos, check out the port camera to see other ships....We are around 650 days out from our next cruise...it will be 10 years since the last one...so I am also working on loosing weight...and saving enough money to make this one the best one yet!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, naxer said:

Exactly.

I have spent a lot of time watching YouTube videos, looking at excursions, contemplating if Cheers is worth it, doing mock bookings, talking ad nauseam with my mom (who will be cruising with me).....I think my dad is ready to kill us......online shopping with my mom for clothes (we have to do it together or we end up buying the same things and neither one of us is at an age where the mother/daughter twin look is remotely adorable.), making lists of things to do/buy for the cruise, "working" at my day job (really looking up cruise stuff), actually working at my side job, reading cruise critic, and annoying my son about the location of his black pants that need to be washed so we can pack them for our upcoming cruise.

A woman in my office is going on a cruise about 6 weeks after I get back, so she and I chat about our cruises. And the woman who shares my cubicle and I have spent A LOT of time calculating the value of Cheers (we are in the accounting department, so numbers are kinda our thing). Plus I have my paper clip chain countdown at my desk and my actual paper chain at home that I manage every day........

All that, and I'm still obsessed.......

I made this yesterday afternoon at the office.

This is for my door decoration that i am working on for my upcoming cruise in 30 days.

20190326_154144.jpg

Edited by emoorehead
Rearranged content
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, peteandpris said:

I also love B to B and try to do it every year. If you catch $50.00 deposits to book in advance it helps to save and enjoy the excitement of another cruise. Also know when to cruise for cheapest amount of money. Love to cruise.

We did get the $50 deposits this time. My husband use to get told when to go on vacation and it was always during the holidays so it cost more. This time he gets to choose when we go but I still managed to book during a holiday. For some reason I was thinking Thanksgiving was the 3rd Thursday of the month not the last. At least that didn't seem to be as big of a bump in fare as Christmas, New Years and July 4th are. 

From your signature it looks like you are doing a B2B2B coming up. I envy you. Did you get to keep your same room for each leg? We had to change rooms on our first one since we didn't book them at the same time. This time we get to keep our room and we got the aft wrap balcony.