Sea conditions crossing Tasman Sea?

Shellbelle28

Hello All. I made a search of the boards and didn't find much information, so I'm asking here. My husband and I are on an NCL cruise that will cross from Burnie (Tasmania) to the New Zealand Fiordlands the last week of January 2020. My husband asked "what will the conditions be like when we cross?" and I have to admit, I'd never considered that! My search of Cruise Critic yielded one post from a January Viking line crossing that said it was rough and they were very seasick.

Anyone know what it's typically like? 

Slight seas, rough seas, and anything in between.

We've done two Tasman crossings so far and we had 5 metre seas on one, and very slight seas on the other.

It's impossible to predict what any particular cruise will encounter. January in one year could be lovely, the following year could be rougher. 

We're boarding our third NZ cruise tomorrow in Auckland and I haven't a clue what the conditions will be in eight days time when we start the Tasman crossing.

• Like 1

We have crossed the Tasman Sea twice, both around the same time, first part of February.  In both 2019, and 2015.

In 2015, we had 6-10 ft seas and a little on the rough side.   This year, we had 3-6 ft seas, and not a bad ride.  I always

have seasick meds just in case.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just crossed it a few days ago. We had 1.5-3 metres most of the way, with 5-6 metres on the last night which didn't wake us up.

Choose a cabin midships and on a lower deck, and if you're prone to seasickness carry meds with you.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I crossed in early December and it was very rough, the roughest water I've ever experienced. So much so that I think I woke up about 100 times in the night, and walking around the ship was iffy. But I took Meclazine, so I wasn't sick, just stayed in my cabin for a day until we were through it.

• Thanks 1

We crossed in Feb a few years ago.  The seas were rough.  On more than one occasion were heard the code announcement for staff to assist someone who had fallen.  Now, it certainly was not as bad as what we have experienced on the North Sea.  We noticed it but we are in good shape. It might have been a challenge for those who were frail or had mobility or balance issues.  It was a big ship, Radiance of the Seas.

Edited by iancal
  • Thanks 1

It’s been more than 10 years since we crossed the Tasman Sea, New Zealand to Burnie, on a HAL ship. Waves exceeded 20 feet and the ship had to alter course.

We vividly remember that the dancers at the after-dinner show did not miss a beat. Those of us in the theater (there was a large number who made it to the show) gave them a standing ovation (and then gingerly headed to our cabins).

• Thanks 1

Our experience in crossing was back in Feb of 2018.  The seas were the roughest I had ever been in and the captain had to slow the ship down (Sun Princess) to avoid damage from the constant battering of the waves and because there were a lot of passengers feeling under the weather from the tossing.  We were 12 hours behind schedule and therefore we never made it to Milford Sound as there was not enough time between that scenic cruising and getting to our first port.  Everyone on the ship seemed disappointed as Milford Sound was going to be a highlight of the cruise.  On the other hand, our crossing from New Zealand back to Sydney was very smooth but surprisingly enough we were late getting into the berth at Sydney due to currents, which again had slowed the ship down.  You just never know and we  chalked it up to being part of the experience.  Tasmania and New Zealand still ranks up there as two of our top cruises.

Barb

• Like 1