NCL Getaway 1/26/20 NOLA Cruise Cancelled

NovaGrad70

32 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Well, I got the same email yesterday, but no sign of the credit to my card, in my case $1500.

Ouch!!!

Best of luck to you.  I'm sure they will make good.

Happy sailing where ever and whenever that may be.

43 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Well, I got the same email yesterday, but no sign of the credit to my card, in my case $1500.

In same boat, waiting for my $2450.  One would think something as simple as crediting a cruise next cert would be simple???

On 3/27/2019 at 5:18 PM, NovaGrad70 said:

“It’s been re-routed.”  Probably a celebrity or large corporation”. I’m a travel agent.  Happens more often than you probably think.

I used to be a TA and spent many years in the travel industry not only as an agent.. I agree. As you say, it is surprising how many times this does happen and not just with one cruise line.  It was my experience, normally if the this happens more than 6 months out people take it pretty well. Or the majority do, for those who have purchased air for instance or made in depth plans it can be a real bummer. 

On 3/27/2019 at 10:26 PM, zqvol said:

The number of hotel rooms in Miami far exceeds what the Super Bowl would need. That is really a small event in the the grand scheme of things.

Doesn’t necessarily have to do with the number of rooms. For the NY Super Bowl, the Getaway became the Bud Lite Hotel with invites guests from the corporate sponsors (with and without tickets to the game). Our cruise out of Miami was cancelled for this corporate charter. 

I had my eye on the 1-5 sailing and looked this morning to check prices, and it was gone!

My first thought was they were concerned they couldn’t fill two 12 day cruises in the same month. Maybe splitting those 24 days up into smaller sailings makes more sense to the bean counters. 

• 2 weeks later...

They are now showing two new 7 day cruises in January and a 5 day to go along with the 9 day cruise that was already there.   

The 7 days are January 5th and January 26th to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios.  Haven't seen that particular itinerary before.

The 5 day is January 12th before the 9 day on January 17th.

I certainly hope they stop making changes now to Getaway’s January itineraries.  

When NCL cancelled our 12 day scheduled for 1/26 we booked the 9 day sailing on 1/17.

We were lucky to be able to get the same cabin, with the shorter itinerary plus the 15% discount it was quite a bit cheaper.  

We had already booked (pay when you stay) with Embassy Suites and were able to just change the dates, saving about $100/night.  Must be a less busy time for conventions, traveling right after the holidays, etc.  

So happy we had not booked flights yet (unusual for this over planner), and now I am nervous about committing to flights and getting another cancellation-so will wait even though prices were looking cheap when I checked last weekend.

We were canceled too for 1/26/20.  Rebooked an 11 day from San Juan.  NCL says they'll refunded the deposit which I already got.  Offered 15% off the new booking and a refund of up to $300 for airfare changes.  Luckily the hotels we booked in NOLA were easily cancelled.  Still no explanation from NCL on the reason for cancelation.  

1 minute ago, Deeliteful said:

Thanks! 

Would love to sail out of NOLA.

We sail out of NOLA at least once a year.  Great place to visit pre or post cruise.  The cruise starts with several hours on the Mississippi before you reach the Gulf.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sand and Seas said:

We sail out of NOLA at least once a year.  Great place to visit pre or post cruise.  The cruise starts with several hours on the Mississippi before you reach the Gulf.

Yes that’s why I would love to do it. Will check it out for next year x

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here's the final word for my experience.  4 weeks and 5+ hours on the phone later including no less that 5 "you'll get your deposit refunded within 2 days" broken promises I finally have my deposit back.  Having booked my air 3 days before the cancellation email, nothing from NCL, nothing at all so that $1000 is down the toilet, thanks NCL.  

I was looking forward to NOLA, and looking forward to my first Haven experience.  The nightmare of getting my deposit back combined with the outright theft of my air fare make it highly unlikely I'll ever try NCL in the future.  

And why?  It's clear now that this 12 day cruise just wasn't selling the way they wanted.  The ship isn't going to Florida as a Superbowl hotel and wasn't booked by an exclusive group.  Nope, it's right there in New Orleans changed to 7 day itinerary.  Okay that's fine but perhaps NCL should work a bit harder doing right by the people who parted with actual money to book, I would have gladly converted to back to back 7 day itineraries had they offered that for example. 

5 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Well, here's the final word for my experience.  4 weeks and 5+ hours on the phone later including no less that 5 "you'll get your deposit refunded within 2 days" broken promises I finally have my deposit back.  Having booked my air 3 days before the cancellation email, nothing from NCL, nothing at all so that $1000 is down the toilet, thanks NCL.  

I was looking forward to NOLA, and looking forward to my first Haven experience.  The nightmare of getting my deposit back combined with the outright theft of my air fare make it highly unlikely I'll ever try NCL in the future.  

And why?  It's clear now that this 12 day cruise just wasn't selling the way they wanted.  The ship isn't going to Florida as a Superbowl hotel and wasn't booked by an exclusive group.  Nope, it's right there in New Orleans changed to 7 day itinerary.  Okay that's fine but perhaps NCL should work a bit harder doing right by the people who parted with actual money to book, I would have gladly converted to back to back 7 day itineraries had they offered that for example. 

And the beat goes on.

On 3/27/2019 at 6:18 PM, NovaGrad70 said:

“It’s been re-routed.”  Probably a celebrity or large corporation”. I’m a travel agent.  Happens more often than you probably think.

Don't mean to get us off course but I am curious about who/what type of organization would charter an entire cruise ship.  I can't even imagine the cost for that sort of thing.  Would NCL financially benefit more from a charter than they would a boatload of vacationers spending money?

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Don't mean to get us off course but I am curious about who/what type of organization would charter an entire cruise ship.  I can't even imagine the cost for that sort of thing.  Would NCL financially benefit more from a charter than they would a boatload of vacationers spending money?

NCL definitely benefits more from a charter! We sail on a full-ship charter music cruise every year, and this year I'm paying more for a 2 bedroom suite for 4 days than I did for my 24 day transatlantic cruise in a suite last month. 😳 Still worth it, though!

On 4/10/2019 at 3:18 PM, Tigeroy said:

We were canceled too for 1/26/20.  Rebooked an 11 day from San Juan.  NCL says they'll refunded the deposit which I already got.  Offered 15% off the new booking and a refund of up to $300 for airfare changes.  Luckily the hotels we booked in NOLA were easily cancelled.  Still no explanation from NCL on the reason for cancelation.  

Well I got an email this week stating NCL would be sending me a refund check for my airfare change from NOLA to San Juan.  It's supposed to come in 6-8 weeks.  My friends who sent their airfare info to NCL before me have not heard back yet.  I originally booked the NOLA flight with 'miles' and according to Delta I had to purchase more 'miles' to cover the difference.  🙄

On 4/10/2019 at 3:18 PM, Tigeroy said:

This  looks to be a marketing change.  Actually this past season,  the 10 and 11 day cruises out of NO  sold poorly.   Just about every week,  was given away at last minute bookings.   I personally picked up 3.   Doesn't surprise me.       

Unfortunately  the longer cruises are grossly superior to the shorter 7 or less day ones.   Better itineraries.  

• Like 2