Cruise insurance in 2019's

newbiewaves

Having just gone through the pain of what i thought would be simple travel insurance for a cruise i feel moved to share so others are aware and can avoid pitfalls. 

In these internet days google 'cruise insurance' and all the usual comparison suspects appear but as we know not all cruise situations are equal. The sneaky opportunity is actually sorting out true cruise cover without actually resorting to talking to a human during a sometimes costly phone call. Anyway being reasonably computer savvy I failed!

Many quotes after ticking you intended to go on a cruise when looking at the small print excluded those things you would like from cruise insurance like missed port, missed excursion, cabin confinement, evacuation from ship etc. These were often on a 'contact us' need to know!  Discount code deals sometimes worked out more expensive than no discount and for a no medical issue worldwide excluding USA Caribbean Mexico cover varied from £180-£380 a couple still without cover clarification!

So in disgust i rang last years insurer (that was useless for a couple of issues we had...but i wont 'DRONE' on...), learnt my discount only worked online and no way would the online platform include proper cover....finally got a human quote at a few pennies less than last year's Caribbean.

I needed to buy quickly worried that the Viking Sky issue would feed down to cruise insurance and put up prices!

Therefore anyone buying via online portals double check your 'cruise insurance' also includes the add on's you really may need as comparison sites pick up on a cruise but not 'cruise plus'  required on mine.