Canada and New England Cruise

Hi

First thing...it depends what you consider cold. 😀

In early Sept. you can easily get some very warm days...20+C., but the nights are likely to be cool and will get colder all the time. As mentioned, over a period of 3 wks. + you can be sure of rainy, if not stormy days. That would be typical, New England, Maritimes, weather for that time of year.

By the end of your trip, it would still not be winter weather yet, but late autumn will typically be cool at best  10-15C during the day and certainly cold at night...not quite freezing, but always possible. Don't forget on the ship, on deck, while it is moving you will feel colder (wind chill).

You need to layer, you need to have warm and cold weather options. You will need waterproof outerwear, and an umbrella. Make sure you have gloves and a warm hat. You can always take the opportunity to do some shopping if there is something extra that you need. Twenty four days is a fairly long cruise. I don't know which cruise line you will be on but I would imagine that you will need some laundry services over the course of your trip.

I have done a Boston to Montreal trip but it was only 7 days. I am sure you will have a great time and most likely you will be travelling at an optimum time to see the best of the fall colors. 

have a great cruise

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2019 at 6:49 PM, 111222333 said:

We're going on a cruise to Canada and New England 14 September for 24 nights. Any advice on what clothes I'll need.  Will it be cold/mild  that time of year ? 

Hi 111222333

There is a roll call for your cruise. Why don’t you join us on there and see what is planned.

Mid- September will usually get you pretty balmy temperatures....especially for a Brit :).  In this part of the world some of the decent weather forecasting companies provide long range forecasts that usually go out as far as 3 weeks.  While the accuracy of these forecasts leaves something to be desired, they are usually pretty close when it comes to the temperatures.  So when you get ready to pack for your trip you can try to look online for the long range forecasts for a few of your ports.  We particularly like "accuweather.com"  perhaps because it's founder was my University meteorology professor and became very wealthy selling long range forecasts from his private company (Accuweather).   There are some other decent forecast sites such as "Weather Underground" although I think they tend to stick to 10 day forecasts.  Looking at some of these long range forecasts should help you make some packing decisions although it is wise to pack enough layers and rain geat to be prepared for anything.

Hank

Just a further note on Canada/NE cruises for our friends from the other side of the pond :).  We live within a days driving distance of many of the ports and also in a beautiful part of the Northeast (Pennsylvania).  Despite over 40 years of extensive cruising all over the world we still love Canada/NE cruises.  There is such a delightful mix of ports that we always enjoy our days ashore.  Whether it is walking for miles within Boston, or perhaps just enjoying a lobster in Bar Harbor there is something for everyone.  So we hope our friends from England enjoy their visit, spend some extra time enjoying our country, and bring plenty of money to spend (we need it to pay our debt).

Hank

52 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Whether it is walking for miles within Boston, or perhaps just enjoying a lobster in Bar Harbor there is something for everyone.  So we hope our friends from England enjoy their visit, spend some extra time enjoying our country,

Boston at night looked like this!

Boston-387.jpg