Cheap way to enjoy cruise ports

Hi! 
Me and 5 friends are cruising on MSC Meraviglia in December 2019 wich stops at Costa Maya, Belize and Roatan. We are quite on a budget and shore excursions are really expensive. All we want is to have nice days at the beach. Do this ports have beaches near? If so, what's de best (and cheapest) way to get there? Do any of them have beaches at a walking distance? Are the beaches paid?

Also, it's my first time with MSC, any tips?

Thank you very much.

7 hours ago, CarolinaQC said:

Hi! 
Me and 5 friends are cruising on MSC Meraviglia in December 2019 wich stops at Costa Maya, Belize and Roatan. We are quite on a budget and shore excursions are really expensive. All we want is to have nice days at the beach. Do this ports have beaches near? If so, what's de best (and cheapest) way to get there? Do any of them have beaches at a walking distance? Are the beaches paid?

Also, it's my first time with MSC, any tips?

Thank you very much.

Hi if you look up a site called whatsinport (yes one word) you will found lot's of answers & idea's. 

Enjoy  your planning. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Beaches are almost ALWAYS cheap and easy to DIY.  Research your ports...either a guidebook or google each one.  Buses/cabs are generally very available.  Just look up each port, get an idea of what beaches you might be interested in...and then hop onto that ports site here on CC.....good info there, too!

I can tell you what to do in Belize. Take a water taxi to Caye Caulker. The water taxi stand is about 1 block to the left when you exit the main port entry. You can google "water taxi belize" and get the costs pp to go wherever and the time it takes.

Its about a 45 minute trip to Caye Caulker. When you exit their port, go on the first "major" road (its dirt) to the right. Or ask anyone how to get to the "Split". Everyone knows. You'll walk about 15 minutes to the end of the island, which is the Split. There is a bar there "The Lazy Lizard" that serves drinks and meals. Hamburger is great and be sure to have their signature drink "Lizard Juice". Hang out at the beach all day, drink, eat, then meander back to the port and catch the water taxi back to the mainland. Fun times!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Roatan, Mahogany Bay, the beach is super close from where the ship docks like 10 minutes walk and it is a huge and amazing beach. Costa Maya has a beautiful resort like area in a walking distance from the ship. There is also zip lining and you can see dolphins and flamingos in that area. If you decide to go out of that area, there are taxis outside that will take to to a beach for $8 per person one way. Be careful, many work together with the beach they are going to be taking to and they tell you ridiculous prices. Make sure you know which beach you are going to as many don't require entrance fee.

Have fun!

• Thanks 1