On board medical question

jimbri

Hello everyone,  First I want to say that yes I am going to ask my doctor this question (although I don't know if he will know the answer) and I am going to call Carnival also.  I fell and broke my hip 2 and a half weeks ago and had a total hip replacement UGH. Doctor thinks I will be fine for June cruise but he put me on a blood thinner (Eliquis) for 3 - 6 months. I worry about excessive bleeding and was wondering if anyone knows if the medical office carries the antidote.  Perhaps someone has had  a personal experience or knows of someone. Thank you for any information.  Have a great weekend.

Hi,

I don't think you mean "antidote"? IF you are on a blood thinner and get a cut it will bleed longer than usual but unless it is a serious one you should still be able to stop the bleeding if you are patient.

DH has been on blood thinners in the past and he got nose bleeds that eventually stopped.

There are also Blood Stop special bandages you can buy at any pharmacy that we carry with us to help in that situation.

IF you are asking does the doc on board know how to stop bleeding I would guess that he /she does.

"Calling Carnival " is a waste of time as the folks who answer the 800 number are sales people and know nothing about what goes on when you are on board the ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbri said:

Hello everyone,  First I want to say that yes I am going to ask my doctor this question (although I don't know if he will know the answer) and I am going to call Carnival also.  I fell and broke my hip 2 and a half weeks ago and had a total hip replacement UGH. Doctor thinks I will be fine for June cruise but he put me on a blood thinner (Eliquis) for 3 - 6 months. I worry about excessive bleeding and was wondering if anyone knows if the medical office carries the antidote.  Perhaps someone has had  a personal experience or knows of someone. Thank you for any information.  Have a great weekend.

I would ask Jumbo for the info.  He problably knows its.

• Like 1

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved Portola Pharmaceuticals' Andexxa, the first antidote indicated for patients treated with rivaroxaban (Xarelto) and apixaban (Eliquis), when reversal of anticoagulation is needed due to life-threatening or uncontrolled bleeding...

The supply of Andexxa is expected to be limited until early 2019; according to the drug's website (andexxa.com), it is currently available at only ten institutions. Treatment with the high dose would cost $49,500 for the drug alone.12 The low-dose regimen would cost half as much.

I am going with "Nope".

• Like 1

Hi Jimbri

Looking at your post...I don't know the answer to your question. 

I understand bad injury...I am glad they could put you back together. You say, "doctor thinks I will be fine for June cruise". Why then are you worried when your doctor isn't. I imagine you have insurance that would cover issues if they did arise, or if your doctor said you couldn't go. Why would you bring up a potential issue with Carnival regarding your health? If you cause them to be concerned enough they could refuse to allow you to travel no matter what your doctor says. 

Certainly if you have any questions, bring them up with your doctor, but if your doctor says you are fit to travel, trust his/her judgement (unless you just don't want to go). I would not be bringing up your concerns with Carnival.

• Like 1

Understandable issue to be concerned over.   Are you cruising an itinerary that is far from US ports?   Up to you whether you contact Carnival, the phone reps won't know but it is possible to contact medical directors for the different cruise lines.  As has been said, this might result in you being denied passage - but weighing that is something only you can do.  https://www.acep.org/how-we-serve/sections/cruise-ship-medicine/cruise-ship-medicine-section---cruise-line-directory/

Something I'd recommend for anyone cruising is to have trip insurance, with pre-existing condition covered, primary coverage & substantial coverage for medevac.  Squaremouth.com has a search filter / box to tick for cruise ship passengers.   It selects policies that have adequate coverage for medevac and emergency medical coverage.  https://www.squaremouth.com/cruise-center/articles-press-releases/read-check-yes-cruise-lines-travel-insurance/

• Like 1

Good morning.  Thank you everyone for your responses.  I do have insurance. Final payment is due in 10 days so I think I am just overthinking everything.  My surgeon said a June cruise should be fine but he had me on 30 days of blood thinners.  Then a small clot was found in leg on opposite side of surgery and my primary put me on the 3-6 month thinner.  I was so surprised that I didn't even think of asking him about the cruise. Hence, the confusion. Again,  thank you. I may cancel the June cruise if I decide I don't feel comfortable enough although I imagine thousands of people who are on blood thinners cruise.  I guess this is all too new to me. 

3 minutes ago, coevan said:

I have been on blood thinners for 10 years and cruised many times, haven't bled out yet. 😄

LOL.  I too have been on blood thinners for many years.  I keep bandaids in the kitchen since I manage to cut myself 2 out of every 3 times I pick up a knife.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I cruised pretty early after a total hip replacement about 10 yrs ago.  I can remember using a cane to assist walking around, even using it on a beach.

My doc okayed the trip, if yours does as well, go and enjoy yourself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimbri said:

Good morning.  Thank you everyone for your responses.  I do have insurance. Final payment is due in 10 days so I think I am just overthinking everything.  My surgeon said a June cruise should be fine but he had me on 30 days of blood thinners.  Then a small clot was found in leg on opposite side of surgery and my primary put me on the 3-6 month thinner.  I was so surprised that I didn't even think of asking him about the cruise. Hence, the confusion. Again,  thank you. I may cancel the June cruise if I decide I don't feel comfortable enough although I imagine thousands of people who are on blood thinners cruise.  I guess this is all too new to me. 

I'm sure you're right about all the people on cruises who are on blood thinners.  I understand your concern, but as long as your Doctor is OK with it all then I say relax, try not to worry, and have a great cruise!  You can always call your Doctor if you have specific questions before you go.  

• Like 1

I have been on blood thinners for a few years. My Dr told me to use bubble wrap to protect my self (lol)  You won;t bleed to death, but it may take a few minutes to stop the bleeding. .  When I sail I alway make a small first aid kit : different size bandages, dressings, tape,non stick dressings, paper tape,neosporin and a bandage wrap.  I suffer from very thin skin on my arms. due to meds  Have bumped into things but haven't gone to Medical yet. And yes, having travel insurance is the best recommendation, I Never leave home without it. 

Edited by Missymo

Sotrry, I can't answer your question about the meds, but I wonder if you are driving or flying to the port?  The Orthopedist I work for wont let the patients fly for quite some time, if they have developed a clot after a total hip or knee.  Please check with your doctor if you plan on flying.  

Nicole

1 hour ago, Remus2010 said:

Sotrry, I can't answer your question about the meds, but I wonder if you are driving or flying to the port?  The Orthopedist I work for wont let the patients fly for quite some time, if they have developed a clot after a total hip or knee.  Please check with your doctor if you plan on flying.  

Nicole

Excellent point