shore excrsions

seba1013

Hi!

Me, my wife and our three year old daughter are coming to cozumel on 26th of june with carnival dream. We are thinking about shore excursions. We dont really want to do the private ones and the ones that ship is offering. they are to expensive. What about local agencies at the port? Are there some good offers? What about prices?

I am also considering renting a car and have seen that there are some rental car agencies within walking distance from the pier. Is this a good option? Is it safe to drive on Cozumel?

Thanks for the answer!

If you rent a car in Cozumel you need to think of a few things...

You need to get full insurance.  There are potholes and road hazards that can cause problems.

You are not familiar with the island and can end up on a one-way road with a ticket with huge fine or worse.

You are not familiar with all the locals riding scooters in and out of traffic with kids balancing on them between the parents legs or standing on back.  It is freaking scary... and there are lots of accidents.

You have to return the car with a full tank of gas, and gas is expensive on island and you must find one of about 3 gas stations for this.  Hint, they are not in the tourist areas.

Have I discouraged you yet?

If you don't want to do an excursion, take a taxi downtown to shop and eat one of about a hundred restaurants, or take a taxi to a beach club south of ports.  Just be sure to remember which ship you are on, and which pier you are at...there are 3 cruise ship piers.  

Cozumel is a fabulous island and there are zillions of things to do.  Get out and explore them.  Have fun.

With a 3-year old I would focus on a beach club that will keep all of you happy. Playa Mia has a kiddie splash area perfect for toddlers.  Chankanaab offers a nice beac, smallish pool, and sea lions and dolphins, etc.

Are you bringing your own car seat or depending on the tour operator?  I would bring my own and tip the cab driver extra for the time spent installing and uninstalling the seat.