A bit worried for my Solo Cruise...

cavenger

I am about to get on the breakaway on the 7th for a 5 day cruise. I have not had a real vacation in a very long time. I find it difficult to vacation alone just because I am typically around at least a small group of people that we can generate some fun. I am also 51 and I prefer to hang out with people in my age range. I am in a solo cabin and plan to partake in as many group activities as I can. I guess I am just worried this vacation is going to suck because I'm alone. Am I worrying over nothing? 

I went on the Breakaway in February solo.  If Sheree is still the Solo host, you will have a great time.  Just got to the solo meets and let it happen 

Hope you have a blast. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cavenger said:

I am about to get on the breakaway on the 7th for a 5 day cruise. I have not had a real vacation in a very long time. I find it difficult to vacation alone just because I am typically around at least a small group of people that we can generate some fun. I am also 51 and I prefer to hang out with people in my age range. I am in a solo cabin and plan to partake in as many group activities as I can. I guess I am just worried this vacation is going to suck because I'm alone. Am I worrying over nothing? 

Hi, yes, I believe you are worrying over nothing.   (since you are asking for opinions). I am 61 and have been sailing solo for 16 years.  It is the only way I cruise and I love it.  I could tell you try not to worry, it is very easy to meet people on cruises, and just relax and have a great time:classic_biggrin:...…..as for thinking your vacation is going to suck? In my opinion, you are thinking about it in the wrong way...….why think that way at all? At least try to have an open mind, and instead of thinking negatively, think positively  about it.

• Like 2

I agree with Lois, I think you will have a good time.  I have been sailing solo for many years and have not had a bad cruise.  I usually join the roll call and it starts me out with people I know, but just haven't met yet.  The best thing  you can have to assure that you have a good time is a good attitude.  If you think you are going to have a good time, you usually will.  If you focus more on what might go wrong, well you may miss the good time if you spend your time worrying too much about what might go wrong.  Enjoy your cruise and just go with the flow and it has always worked well for me.  Happy Sailing.

• Like 1

I'm cruising solo, actually first ever solo trip, on April 21 on the Breakaway and while I'm apprehensive about taking this step I'm also excited. I'm 58 and am usually surrounded by friends and family but I have found that I need time to recharge my batteries. The past 14-16 months have been tough for me personally and I've spent that time taking care of others and forgot about taking care of me. My family has encouraged me on this decision to take a solo trip, even if that means finding someone to watch my two grandkids (I'm their daycare). 

I have signed up for things through my roll call but I'm also realizing that this trip is about ME. I think if maybe you remember that you're worth the investment it might help you as you strike out on your own. Good luck!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, caligirl1960 said:

I'm cruising solo, actually first ever solo trip, on April 21 on the Breakaway and while I'm apprehensive about taking this step I'm also excited. I'm 58 and am usually surrounded by friends and family but I have found that I need time to recharge my batteries. The past 14-16 months have been tough for me personally and I've spent that time taking care of others and forgot about taking care of me. My family has encouraged me on this decision to take a solo trip, even if that means finding someone to watch my two grandkids (I'm their daycare). 

I have signed up for things through my roll call but I'm also realizing that this trip is about ME. I think if maybe you remember that you're worth the investment it might help you as you strike out on your own. Good luck!

Glad you are thinking about yourself and I hope you have a wonderful time:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, meshsa56 said:

When traveling solo, do you go to the dining room for dinner?

Sometimes I do, depending on what plans are for the day.  Other times I will dine in one of the specialty restaurants or simply go to the LIDO buffet if time is more of a concern to me.  All are fine and acceptable, it is what you want to do after all.

9 hours ago, meshsa56 said:

Hi, yes, I do and I also dine in The Specialty Restaurants.  I may go to the buffet but that is not my 1st or 2nd choice. I enjoy sitting down and being served for dinner, especially when I am on vacation:classic_smile:

I eat as many meals as possible in the dining room. I am not a fan of buffets  and like the service of the dining room. I don't need company or feel awkward dining on my own as I jumped those hurdles in my 20's.

Cavenger, go with a positive attitude and a list of things to do. I feel our happiness is our own responsibility, so don't sit back waiting for others. Go with the atitude....no regrets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2019 at 6:58 AM, cavenger said:

I guess I am just worried this vacation is going to suck because I'm alone. Am I worrying over nothing? 

Yes, you're probably worrying over nothing -- whether it will suck or not will depend a lot on you.  Do what you want, when you want it, and enjoy that freedom; don't dwell if it's not what you hoped it would be, and don't dwell on what isn't there.  Meet people if and when you want to, and don't feel badly if you decide the people you've met aren't people you want to spend more time with - if they are, meet new people by doing things you want to do on board.  Don't limit yourself to "single's activities" that might be provided - you can meet great people doing all sorts of things on board, whether they're single or not. 

18 hours ago, meshsa56 said:

Usually, but it depends on my mood.  Sometimes I'm happy eating alone in that busy place, but sometimes I prefer a smaller space and/or less formal service, so I'll eat somewhere else.   The main dining room is not one of my favourite places to eat, so I usually only do it for the company (i.e. if I'm dining with people I like).   Or for breakfast on Crystal, where it offers a breakfast meal I can't get elsewhere on the ship 😉

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate your fears, cavenger, but I'll echo the others in hoping they are unfounded. In my solo cruises, I have yet to experience a moment when I wanted company and couldn't find any.

Solos events are a great way to get started, but as calliopecruiser notes, don't limit yourself to them. I find I go to the solo cocktail gatherings the first few nights, make a few friends, and then invite those to dine with me. I tend to make other friends on excursions and by joining a trivia team. On my last cruise, I became friendly with a couple at the muster, and we hung out together often. Other times, I've asked to join a table with an empty chair, meeting some lovely people that way, and continuing to connect with them throughout the voyage.  Of course, those last two strategies work especially well on a smaller ship, when you are likely to run into the same people again. It's also worth saying that I love my alone time, and don't find myself craving company throughout the day -- just at particular times, like cocktail hour 🙂

Enjoy, and please do report back to us.

• 1 month later...

I'm considering a solo cruise next year myself and reading through a lot of the discussions and comments made I have to say I am feeling less apprehensive and more excited at the prospect. I travel alone for work and stay in hotels etc on my own regularly but for some reason the thought of it being a holiday makes me nervous!!!!

On 4/9/2019 at 9:29 AM, snirpville said:

I'm considering my first solo cruise next year and this thread has made me less apprehensive. Thank you! 

3 hours ago, Lisa2208 said:

I'm considering a solo cruise next year myself and reading through a lot of the discussions and comments made I have to say I am feeling less apprehensive and more excited at the prospect. I travel alone for work and stay in hotels etc on my own regularly but for some reason the thought of it being a holiday makes me nervous!!!!

Glad to know we can allay your apprehensions.

For some reason, solo work travel seems easier as we are sent to do it leaving someone else 'responsible'.  there is a focus and purpose and in some ways,  an impression of being invisible or a persona.

Solo travel is entirely our responsibility and some will feel vulnerable that it won't succeed leaving us as 'failures' if that is the case. In truth, other people are either self absorbed or friendly. Those self absorbed don't notice your solo-ness so do 't judge and the friendly ones just pick you up and take you along...if that is what you want. Some solo travelers just value the solitude using the time for rest, relaxation, self reflection, a means to a port for independent investigation, or some other personal reason. Some mix social activities with quietude.

The wonderful thing is there is no right or wrong approach.

Have a wonderful trip.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wish the OP would come back and report on the cruise. I'm going on my first solo cruises in three weeks. DH has to work, so I decided to go without him. I'm on the waitlist for traditional dining. It would be nice to get pleasant people to dine with every evening. But I can do the anytime dining as well if I don't make it off the waitlist. 

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

I'm on the waitlist for traditional dining. It would be nice to get pleasant people to dine with every evening.

If you do that you get traditional dining but don't really like the people you've been seated with, don't be afraid to ask to switch tables.  I didn't do it on my first solo cruise because I didn't think I could 😞  .  On my next solo cruise (many, many years later), I did do that and it made a big difference to be able to have pleasant conversations with dinner.   Then the next year, my next solo cruise, I had lovely tablemates. 

So.....don't be afraid to ask to switch tables if you find yourself with people you don't like or connect with. 

12 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

If you do that you get traditional dining but don't really like the people you've been seated with, don't be afraid to ask to switch tables.  I didn't do it on my first solo cruise because I didn't think I could 😞  .  On my next solo cruise (many, many years later), I did do that and it made a big difference to be able to have pleasant conversations with dinner.   Then the next year, my next solo cruise, I had lovely tablemates. 

So.....don't be afraid to ask to switch tables if you find yourself with people you don't like or connect with. 

Thanks. If I make the cut and don't have friendly people at my table, I'll probably switch to anytime dining. After asking on the Princess board, it looks like the northbound cruise will have three late departures from ports, when they do away with traditional dining on those nights. They did that on our British Isles cruise a few years ago when we had late departures from a few ports. On that cruise, we really liked our tablemates and arranged to meet up with them for diner so we could eat together still.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:37 AM, geoherb said:

I wish the OP would come back and report on the cruise. I'm going on my first solo cruises in three weeks. DH has to work, so I decided to go without him. I'm on the waitlist for traditional dining. It would be nice to get pleasant people to dine with every evening. But I can do the anytime dining as well if I don't make it off the waitlist. 

I don't know how Princess does their seating but on my very first solo cruise on Carnival three years ago I was seated at a table of solo passengers.  I usually do anytime dining but for my first solo cruise I wanted to be seated with the same people for the entire cruise.  I was very lucky as there was a table of 8 and everyone got along wonderfully.  Some of us even wound up gambling together and doing the Chefs Table one night.  My other two solo cruises were on NCL and I ate with the solo group.  And as another poster said if you don't like your seatmates you can always ask to be moved to another table.

On 3/31/2019 at 1:08 AM, meshsa56 said:

I have traveled solo often and truly love it.  As for dinner I will often ask to join a table.  It has most times have been very social that way. Try different ways to see what u like

On 5/28/2019 at 9:34 AM, robin13 said:

I don't know how Princess does their seating but on my very first solo cruise on Carnival three years ago I was seated at a table of solo passengers.  I usually do anytime dining but for my first solo cruise I wanted to be seated with the same people for the entire cruise.  I was very lucky as there was a table of 8 and everyone got along wonderfully.  Some of us even wound up gambling together and doing the Chefs Table one night.  My other two solo cruises were on NCL and I ate with the solo group.  And as another poster said if you don't like your seatmates you can always ask to be moved to another table.

I don't know how Princess does it either. We have had solo passengers at our tables before on Princess cruises, so apparently they don't try to segregate all of them to one particular table. On my northbound cruise, I'll probably just switch over to anytime dining if the people I'm dining with don't seem like a good fit for me. Three nights of the itinerary will be anytime for everyone because of late departures from the ports, according to what someone posted.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 5:58 AM, cavenger said:

I cruised solo twice, with a third one pending.  Each time, I had a blast; I found Carnival's onboard atmosphere to be very solo-friendly (pricing, not so much).  A big saving grace was the assigned seating at dinner; I knew I wasn't going to be eating alone, and had a group to compare notes with about our days.  I also got "adopted" by the people I met, who treated me as an equal from the get-go; we went partying in ports, and danced our butts off.  The only people who gave me any trouble over being solo were Customs; in their eyes, a man cuising alone must be bad.  I was 29 at the time. 

I know Norwegian doesn't have assigned seating, which I think makes it less solo-friendly.  But if you can make it work, you're still going to have a blast.  All newer ships starting with Epic have solo lounges, where solo cruisers can form dinner groups.  You have nothing to worry about outside the usual travel precautions.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Hi

I typically travel on Cunard Line and usually as a solo.  Cunard ships have many solo passengers.  As others have pointed out it is very easy to meet people as most of your fellow passengers are social and happy to meet new people.  I meet new people right out of the box at the lifeboat drill! There are many advantages to solo travel.   You can do as you please, eat where  and where you want, visit where you want in various ports of call and have more room in your cabin.  (Privacy.) You never have to worry about the needs and desires of another person. Good luck and I hope I meet you one day!

Deck Chair

europe trip QM2 2013 115.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

My advice to solo travelers concerning dining is request a large table a 10 topper is best in my opinion. This way the odds of meeting friendly and fun people are greater. Sometimes solos get sat alone ask for a change in tables, on ships or dining times that don't have assigned seating and times ask for a sharing table