Currently on Summit Suite Class 6146 - 1st Impression

Want2Cruise 701

Sitting at Rainbow Beach in St Croix while I post. This is our 5th time on the Summit. The ship is gorgeous overall and love the new color scheme.  Unfortunately it wasn’t very well thought out and doesn’t function.  More on this below.  I’ll start of with the good. 

Alexandra in the Retreat is absolutely the best. Great personality. Always smiling and engaging. Always willing to go above and beyond. 

Jess the Retreat concierge has been lovely and helpful but haven’t had the need to utilize her much. 

Cabin 6146. Love the overall color scheme and bath BUT......biggest issue was the a/c didn’t work. They replaced the thermostat, but DH said where is the vent????  They covered up the ceiling but forgot the vent. So today while we’re at the beach, they will be opening up the ceiling😳  

The balcony furniture is horrid. Just one small cafeteria style table with 2 wooden hard classroom chairs. A cushioned bench. We received 2 lounge chairs after complaining several times. Flipped the bench width wise on the balcony and moved it to the other side so you could have the table in front of it with the two chairs we won’t sit in.  We are trying to get a new table and the mesh style chairs that the other cabins have. I’ve seen them in Aqua and FV. 

The full size size couch didn’t come in so there is just an oversized chair that pulls out to a bed. No coffee table. I was told they want you to utilize the ship not cabin. When I asked where you have breakfast room service or the afternoon snacks. I was told no more afternoon snacks. They want you to utilize the Retreat Lounge that has snacks and bites out all day. We told the butler that we want the snacks in the cabin at 4. We’ll see if they come today. 

The storage is very limited and not enough especially drawer space. Only 2 drawers. The rest of the storage is behind doors that has shelves. It is underneath counters and low so you have to open the doors and bend. 

Bath.  There is no place to hold the soap, shampoo, razors and conditioner etc. They are resting on the floor of the shower so you have to bend down each time to use. The shave bar is located on the wrong side so the water is coming down your front and in your face when shaving. If located on the opposite side which it should be then the water would drip down your back. Also no rain head shower head. Just a handheld. A hook would be great for a bath this size to hang a towel. 

The person in the cabin before us spilled coffee the butler said when brought up, and there is a large coffee stain on the floor as soon as you come in. Seriously. No effort to remove it. The cabin has only been used 2x previously before us. Also the stain is large enough that it looks like a pot was spilled. As soon as you walk in there is a huge brown stain on the gray carpet at your feet. Lovely. 

The desk isnt that great. No side drawers and just 2 draws underneath that aren’t even deep enough to hold my makeup mirror in. In fact I actually went out and bought the battery operated light up makeup mirror that used to come in the SS in that drawer. The hair dryer is in the closet in a shelf since it doesn’t fit in the drawer. And, that chair is awful, plastic and hard. It doesn’t fit under the desk. To just check yourself in the mirror before you run out or for whatever you have to push the chair out because you can’t lean over the desk because the chair sticks out. 

I removed all the Kelly Hoppen coral, plants, vases etc and put them away. The poor room cactus is sitting in a drawer. The cactus on the balcony table is on the balcony floor. There is just no room for them. Cruise cabins are small. They just don’t work. 

Overall the cabin looks nice but the furnishings are not comfortable or functional. Bed is nice though. Slept great. Oh, there is a small sewer smell coming from the floor drain in the bath and out on the balcony. Nothing overwhelming but you can mildly smell it. More on on the ship and Butler later. Will post pictures if I can. I will do my best to answer questions. 

• Like 3

The cabin sounds absolutely terrible! I am so dreading what I will find in my concierge cabin on Equinox after it is "revolutionized. I hope for a better situation than yours. We have several future Equinox cruises booked, but I look forward to the one Silhoutte before the revolution and two Reflection cruises up coming as she is not scheduled to be done until 2023.

• Thanks 1

We have been considering the Summit for a cruise later this year, but now we are not so sure.  We were on the Edge in December and many of the observations on the Summit cabin are comparable to issues with our aft Sky Suite on the Edge.  Instead, we will probably try to cruise on the Reflection, our favorite ship, before the revolt in 2023, then we will see if we stick with Celebrity.

Your comments about the shower were the first things I thought of seeing an early picture.  Looks like that is the same situation in sky suites with a combined tub and shower but at least there you have the rim of the tub to set things. 

Wonder if they did away with all the make up mirrors.

We downgraded our Millennium cruise to a sky suite until I saw pictures.  Called after the 1st view and rebooked the RS.

Someone on the previous sailing in one of the RS's on your side of the ship mentioned the sewage smell.  She also mentioned service issues.   They had friends in a RS on the odd side of the ship that had none of these issues.  I hope both these issues can be resolved for you this week.  

What a disappointment with your cabin report!  We've always loved Summit, even when she was showing some signs of age, she was still dear to us.  We're about to sail on Infinity to the Med in May and I'm actually happy that the "revolution" will not be until next year.  Doesn't seem like the new and improved is all that.

Also sitting on the beach in St Croix admiring Summit at port have to say we are having none of the issues mentioned above we are in steerage class lol so maybe our expectations are lower oceanview room lots of storage haven't filled all the cupboards have plenty of room in shower for storage of personal products ,We love the colour scheme and overall layout of the room.Sailed Summit 2 years ago and in our opinion a vast improvement .

• Like 9

Thanks OP for posting!  We have this cabin booked for Bermuda next yeAr and are hoping that you can comment on how sunny or shady the balcony is.  I hope you can post some pictures.  This suite is costing us the bomb and if it’s not worthit we will book again on Reflection or try Crystal.

6 minutes ago, watchdiva said:

Thanks OP for posting!  We have this cabin booked for Bermuda next yeAr and are hoping that you can comment on how sunny or shady the balcony is.  I hope you can post some pictures.  This suite is costing us the bomb and if it’s not worthit we will book again on Reflection or try Crystal.

I’ll report later sometime when we have sun. It’s a cloudy rainy day and it had already clouded up and rained yesterday afternoon when we got to our cabin. 

The Retreat Sundeck

Sitting here now since the rain didn’t letup at rainbow beach. Very relaxed and being pampered on the sun bed gazebo as I type. So much enjoying it. It’s cloudy so that’s part of the reason. More below. 

The good. Great concept. Love it. It’s gorgeous. Glad they added this for the suites. Lots of lounges, tables and chairs, sunbed gazebos and clam shells. Service is stellar. Hot tub is only luke warm which is great since there’s no pool. The raised area has a lunch menu with tables and chairs and sectional seating.  A mini luminae type full lunch menu with burgers etc.  The lower level where all the loungers, gazebos and clam shells are offer a small apps like shrimp cocktail, mini wraps etc. 

The bad. It’s very hot and shade is very limited. Not much at all. The clam shells provide some shade and a few offer full shade but only when turned to face the elevator shaft or face the kids club lol. It was sunny and warm when we boarded yesterday and came directly here. There is also no bathroom. Have to go down to deck 11. Also no bar. Drinks are good. It takes a bit to get them though. Service again is stellar. Always someone coming around looking to assist. 

Another miss is since all the furniture is cushioned. It was all wet when we came back from the beach. The poor staff and suite manager were drying and covering everything with towels so you wouldn’t get when sitting. I felt so bad for them. I didn’t care since my suit was already wet. 

Update - our son went to the room and texted us that the coffee stain is gone from the floor and our room is freezing. 

More later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wingnut2005 said:

Also sitting on the beach in St Croix admiring Summit at port have to say we are having none of the issues mentioned above we are in steerage class lol so maybe our expectations are lower oceanview room lots of storage haven't filled all the cupboards have plenty of room in shower for storage of personal products ,We love the colour scheme and overall layout of the room.Sailed Summit 2 years ago and in our opinion a vast improvement .

We too love the colors and layout of our room overall. The room just functioned better before. More storage space and furniture and balcony furniture was nicer even though old. Wished they would have just made a modernized replica. Hope to see you around. Cheers!

• Like 1

Want2Cruise, you said "And, that chair is awful, plastic and hard. It doesn’t fit under the desk. To just check yourself in the mirror before you run out or for whatever you have to push the chair out because you can’t lean over the desk because the chair sticks out." I looked at photos of a PH, RS, CC, SS, and Veranda cabins and the SS is the only cabin that has an armed chair which as you said doesn't fit under the desk. We're sailing in May and plan to ask to have the chair exchanged for an armless one. I don't want it sticking out in the way. What kind of designer would choose such a chair?

SS chair.jpg

Did they enlarge the narrow door to the balcony or add regular sliding doors, or at least add a window to the outside wall?

That long solid outer wall with only a single, narrow balcony door was the feature we most disliked about 6145 and 6146.

What was the designer thinking?

It also seems unbelievable that someone would design a shower enclosure that has  no place to put soap, shampoo, razors, conditioner etc. 

But we have seen that in some hotel showers as well.

They also seem to forget that people need a place to hang up wet bathing suits.

As others have suggested in the past, those designers, as well as the cruise line's top officials, should be required to live in those cabins for a week or more before releasing them to the general public.

Maybe then they would notice little things such as desk chairs that don't fit under the desk, or uncomfortable and impractical balcony chairs, or lack of dining tables for room service meals.

Passengers were begging for grab bars on the bathtub walls of the Celebrity Suites on the M-class ships for years, without anything ever being done.

Yet those of us who love those ships continue to book them, despite the obvious flaws and oversights.

Edited by varoo

Thanks so much for posting. We were booked in 6145 on Millie, but after the initial photos hit Cruise Critic we RAN (not walked!) to our TA and upgraded to CS for the furniture/functionality issues you have described in good detail. 

Im glad to see the coffee stain and A/C has at least been fixed! 

Do do you know if the top level outdoor Retreat is an extension of the Deck 3 lounge with regard to complimentary beverages? We do not have a beverage package as we are on a Transpacific. Will we be able to enjoy complimentary drinks up top as we will downstairs on deck 3? 

Thanks again for posting. I view your efforts as a public service announcement to future folks booked in Sky Suites on M-class! 

How unfortunate they forgot the A C vent....or to wash out  the stain before you arrived... shows a lack of attention to detail!  Seems things are improving...hope that continues...

We are planning to stick with our reg balcony cabin...unless AQ Class prices crash!

8 hours ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

No coffee table. I was told they want you to utilize the ship not cabin. 

Delightful that management thinks they can micromanage our activities.

8 hours ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

Bath.  There is no place to hold the soap, shampoo, razors and conditioner etc. They are resting on the floor of the shower so you have to bend down each time to use. The shave bar is located on the wrong side so the water is coming down your front and in your face when shaving. If located on the opposite side which it should be then the water would drip down your back. Also no rain head shower head. Just a handheld. A hook would be great for a bath this size to hang a towel. 

LLP has stated that Edge was the ultimate ship designed by women, for women.  That may or may not be true on both fronts, but I would say they've missed the mark.

6 hours ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

Another miss is since all the furniture is cushioned. It was all wet when we came back from the beach. The poor staff and suite manager were drying and covering everything with towels so you wouldn’t get when sitting. I felt so bad for them. I didn’t care since my suit was already wet. 

Wow.  This furniture will get nice and moldy in no time.

OP - thank you for your report.  Have not been on Summit for about four years, was considering booking on her again in future so this is very helpful information in my decision making. 

One of the statements in your initial post stood out to me:  "I was told they want you to utilize the ship, not the cabin."  I will probably sound like a witch, and so be it, but that comment by Celebrity irked me somewhat (not that it was the staff members' fault....they are directed to say the party line).  However, if I am spending a few thousand dollars or more for a vacation on a ship, I will utilize the ship in whatever way is most relaxing for me thank you, and that includes the use of the cabin which I have paid for.....  😉   

• Like 12

Thanks for your comments, we are in 6116 in a couple weeks.  I’ve been really disappointed about the balcony furniture after seeing pictures.  I’ll be sure to follow your lead and request the more traditional chairs early and often!  Wondering if I should also pack an air freshener just in case?

Following. I’ve had my eye on this SS (and 6145) for some time, because I prefer a shower to a shower/tub combo. The “shave bar” location sounds ridiculous. Ditto for the desk chair. I’m glad you’re getting great service in the Retreat. It sounds like the Retreat staff is trying very hard to make the retrofitted suite areas work. I’ve only had one Sky Suite (Silhouette, pre-Luminae), but I’d considered upgrading for my future b2b on Millie. Based on your review thus far, I think I’ll stick with my Veranda cabin on Millie. I will enjoy my second SS  (on Reflection) this December, while I wait to see how well Celebrity works out their many “Revolution” blunders and kinks. Thanks so much for your live review. It’s very helpful😊

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

We’ve just finished booking SS 6145 on Summit for a Canada/New England cruise in August 2020. 

We are long time Celebrity cruisers and have had the opportunity to be in 6145 and 6146 on the M Class ships. There’s no question that these suites are not what they used to be, but at the end of the day, the changes are not significant enough for us to shy away from booking them in the future. 

Looking forward to seeing an “old friend” made new again.

Randy

• Thanks 1