Shrimp Cocktail Upcharge

bigfoot88

Was on the Gem in December and Bliss and don’t recall the $4.00 upcharge. Also, the shrimp has an olives oil marinate, I can’t recall it before but was told it was there. I asked on the second visit and they served w/o the oil.

• 5 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, slugg said:

Just off the Breakaway. No upcharge in The Haven restaurant, but a $4.99 upcharge everywhere else. Totally not worth it; it’s just 3 shrimp and nothing special. 

We just got off the pearl,  cagneys shrimp trio would have cost 9 bucks if  i were not a  platinum member.  The next to last night at the buffet there were jumbo shrimp, yep the same ones at cagneys, I went to town and had 20 of them. (60 bucks in cagney dollars) oh they were good.

On 3/31/2019 at 2:21 PM, bigfoot88 said:

Was on the Gem in December and Bliss and don’t recall the $4.00 upcharge. Also, the shrimp has an olives oil marinate, I can’t recall it before but was told it was there. I asked on the second visit and they served w/o the oil.

I’ve noticed the marinate for 9 years. I didn’t know what it was, but always thought the shrimp would taste better without it.

On 3/31/2019 at 1:21 PM, bigfoot88 said:

Shrimp cocktail on the Jade Cagneys had olive oil marinade.  We loved it but some might not.  No upcharge last March.  

10 hours ago, Newleno said:

We just got off the pearl,  cagneys shrimp trio would have cost 9 bucks if  i were not a  platinum member....

What is the shrimp benefit on platinum?   I have not heard that one?

1 hour ago, trex-de said:

What is the shrimp benefit on platinum?   I have not heard that one?

as a platinum member you get one  free entree, one appetizer, one bottle of wine, one side,. and one dessert  at cagneys, the appetizer i choose is the shrimp trio (i thought it was $9 if you actually had to pay but I guess it is $8) so that is what i meant by the shrimp benefit.

20 minutes ago, Newleno said:

as a platinum member you get one  free entree, one appetizer, one bottle of wine, one side,. and one dessert  at cagneys, the appetizer i choose is the shrimp trio (i thought it was $9 if you actually had to pay but I guess it is $8) so that is what i meant by the shrimp benefit.

Great. Shrimp is back on my menu!  Thanks

1 hour ago, Sand and Seas said:

This confuses me.  The other appetizers on the list probably take more preparation time than that shrimp cocktail, yet no up-charge.    

What kind of a weird marketing decision was this?

It is probably ordered the most.  If people want the price to go away, don't order it as long as it has an upcharge.

• Like 1

They could probably avoid the shrimp upcharge if they turned the 1 appetizer, soup or salad suggestion for dining packages into a firm policy.  The restaurant should be able to budget for 3 shrimp per person.  It's when people request multiple orders or have a shrimp course in addition to soup, salad or another appetizer that it throws the food budget off.  However, I'd gladly pass on the shrimp to keep freedom on the rest of the menu.

10 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

It is probably ordered the most.  If people want the price to go away, don't order it as long as it has an upcharge.

that is my thought as well. Like a land restaurant, shrimp cocktails can be pricey, one reason the cost of really good shrimp and next the popularity. People will pay the price. If we stop the price may go down. If we continue we have ourselves to blame. I will say this: no way, as much as I love shrimp will I pay an up charge for it , but that is just me. Not having a shrimp cocktail on a cruise isn't going to make the cruise any less satisfying.     

• Like 1

Interesting about this shrimp upcharge....

For sure I won't be ordering any but since we are sailing NCL for the first time in 11 years, can anyone tell me if escargot are available? 

1 hour ago, TMLAalum said:

Interesting about this shrimp upcharge....

For sure I won't be ordering any but since we are sailing NCL for the first time in 11 years, can anyone tell me if escargot are available? 

I know they are available at Le Bistro.  I don't recall seeing them on the MDR menu on NCL.

It's always baffled me why other cruise lines offer them as a daily choice, as it seems like an acquired taste with limited appeal.  If people ordered them like shrimp, they'd probably be gone or an upcharge too.