Cruise Critic Community
rgtkkb

Really Confused by NCL

I have sailed most other large cruise lines before but not NCL.  I like to get information on-line rather than by phone, and  I am finding the information available from NCL very misleading or inaccurate. I booked a 5 day cruise on the Sun leaving April 6, and so far I have had three issues:

While trying to decide between a sailaway fare or "free at sea" perks, I found numerous places indicating that the free at sea internet perk was 250 minutes on cruises of 3+ days. 

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

But after I booked and chose this perk I got 100 minutes rather than the advertised 250 minutes.

The main problem so far is that l haven't been able to determine with certainty whether the open bar is included on my cruise. If it isn't then I will have to change to the beverage perk. I cannot find anything in writing relating to my specific cruise having the open bar. The promotional literature does indicate that all 3-5 day Sun cruises have the open bar, but this is the same source that incorrectly promises 250 internet minutes.  Neither the ad for my cruise nor the on-line check-in documents mentions the open bar. All I have in writing is the promotional literature that may or may not be current and accurate.

Finally, I had chosen the shore excursion perk mainly to use the short debarkation tour of Miami ending at the airport. The description indicated that the tour was not available on the Sky but didn't exclude the Sun. I booked my flight home based on using this excursion, but after booking I found that this excursion is not in fact available for the Sun. I don't understand why this was not mentioned along with the Sky exclusion.

This has been a very confusing and unpleasant experience, and I don't understand why NCL can't provide accurate information. I just hope the cruise goes better than the planning process.

5 minutes ago, rgtkkb said:

I have sailed most other large cruise lines before but not NCL.  I like to get information on-line rather than by phone, and  I am finding the information available from NCL very misleading or inaccurate. I booked a 5 day cruise on the Sun leaving April 6, and so far I have had three issues:

While trying to decide between a sailaway fare or "free at sea" perks, I found numerous places indicating that the free at sea internet perk was 250 minutes on cruises of 3+ days. 

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

But after I booked and chose this perk I got 100 minutes rather than the advertised 250 minutes.

The main problem so far is that l haven't been able to determine with certainty whether the open bar is included on my cruise. If it isn't then I will have to change to the beverage perk. I cannot find anything in writing relating to my specific cruise having the open bar. The promotional literature does indicate that all 3-5 day Sun cruises have the open bar, but this is the same source that incorrectly promises 250 internet minutes.  Neither the ad for my cruise nor the on-line check-in documents mentions the open bar. All I have in writing is the promotional literature that may or may not be current and accurate.

Finally, I had chosen the shore excursion perk mainly to use the short debarkation tour of Miami ending at the airport. The description indicated that the tour was not available on the Sky but didn't exclude the Sun. I booked my flight home based on using this excursion, but after booking I found that this excursion is not in fact available for the Sun. I don't understand why this was not mentioned along with the Sky exclusion.

This has been a very confusing and unpleasant experience, and I don't understand why NCL can't provide accurate information. I just hope the cruise goes better than the planning process.

Within the T&C link you posted ...I scrolled down to "Internet" specifically, and found this:

Internet Package (Free WiFi)
Internet package is based on number of nights.
100 minutes per stateroom for 3-6 Day Cruises.

Maybe, (since it appears that you are late booking) the post cruise excursion has sold-out.  However, you still MIGHT be able to book that on-board, possibly.  Shore Excursion phone# is 1-866-625-1167.

As for the Premium Beverage Package, you would need to ask NCL outright.  I have never seen it show-up as an added option, during the booking process, if it is already an "INCLUDED" item.

Since I am complaining, I might as well point out one other item I think is misleading.  The ad states:

ENJOY MORE OF CUBA WITH TWO DAYS IN HAVANA

In fact, the ship arrives at 8 pm. I don't think this would count as a day of enjoyment in Havana based on anyone's definition

6 minutes ago, rgtkkb said:

Since I am complaining, I might as well point out one other item I think is misleading.  The ad states:

ENJOY MORE OF CUBA WITH TWO DAYS IN HAVANA

In fact, the ship arrives at 8 pm. I don't think this would count as a day of enjoyment in Havana based on anyone's definition

That’s picking at nits, IMHO...that said, enjoy your time in Cuba...

Edited by PTC DAWG

7 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

Within the T&C link you posted ...I scrolled down to "Internet" specifically, and found this:

Internet Package (Free WiFi)
Internet package is based on number of nights.
100 minutes per stateroom for 3-6 Day Cruises.

Maybe, (since it appears that you are late booking) the post cruise excursion has sold-out.  However, you still MIGHT be able to book that on-board, possibly.  Shore Excursion phone# is 1-866-625-1167.

As for the Premium Beverage Package, you would need to ask NCL outright.  I have never seen it show-up as an added option, during the booking process, if it is already an "INCLUDED" item.

Thanks. I guess I just looked at the first list of choices and saw the 3+ days.  It is definitely my mistake but still very misleading, I think, to state 250 at the top and then in the "fine print" indicate 100. And I did call and found that the excursion is not available.

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

That’s picking at nits, IMHO...that said, enjoy your time in Cuba...

True, but I did call to verify the time since I thought they must l have made a mistake and meant 8am (which is about the normal time from Miami to Havana).

In case you were needing more information on the VISA you must have, and other considerations...

(I believe it cost $75 per person for the CUBA)

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents#cuba-visa

Travel Visa Requirements

Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with VisaCentral to provide our guests with comprehensive, accurate information regarding travel visas. Some of VisaCentral’s guest travel services include visa application kits and assistance with obtaining other visas where required. Visit the Global Visa Support Center on the VisaCentral

https://visacentral.com/Norwegian-cruise-line-splash?login=103407   for assistance with visa applications.

Here is another area that you may need to check...

https://www.ncl.com/faq#what-is-onboard-service-charge

You did not state exactly when you did book, so this might truly be confusing.

On the other-hand, if, when you log into you My NCL, and go to VACATION SUMMARY, then select Pre-Pay Service Charges,

(assuming you have not yet) the dollar amount (per person, per day), should "tell" you IF your booking was considered an "All Inclusive" or not.  If it's $20 or more pp/pd, then NCL "should be" considering it an All inclusive.  If less than $20 pp/pd, then the beverage package being offered as a "PICK..." item, makes sense!

Frankly, I find all cruise lines have confusing information.  That is because each one has it's own way of telling us what they want consumers to feel/believe!

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

Here is another area that you may need to check...

https://www.ncl.com/faq#what-is-onboard-service-charge

You did not state exactly when you did book, so this might truly be confusing.

On the other-hand, if, when you log into you My NCL, and go to VACATION SUMMARY, then select Pre-Pay Service Charges,

(assuming you have not yet) the dollar amount (per person, per day), should "tell" you IF your booking was considered an "All Inclusive" or not.  If it's $20 or more pp/pd, then NCL "should be" considering it an All inclusive.  If less than $20 pp/pd, then the beverage package being offered as a "PICK..." item, makes sense!

Frankly, I find all cruise lines have confusing information.  That is because each one has it's own way of telling us what they want consumers to feel/believe!

That is the big problem. While it looks like the cruise should be "all inclusive" according to the NCL website, the prepaid gratuities are only $14.50/day. There is another thread about this apparent discrepancy with no resolution.

Anxious to hear about Cuba.  Report back about your cruise.  I’m looking at the itineraries that include Cuba.  Thx!

1 hour ago, rgtkkb said:

That is the big problem. While it looks like the cruise should be "all inclusive" according to the NCL website, the prepaid gratuities are only $14.50/day. There is another thread about this apparent discrepancy with no resolution.

Certainly there is a huge amount of constantly changing information to filter through!

I guess I have not been very helpful for you, but perhaps others can learn more from your experience.

I hope you have an enjoyable cruise, despite your experience with NCL so far!

Hmmm...could it have said UPTO 250 minutes.  And the 100 minutes falls in the 3 - 6 day cruise category you are sailing.  

The NCL Sun AND Sky are BOTH open bar ships within the NCL fleet.  I sailed NCL Sky to Cuba in 2017.  There is a dollar amount cap (I think you need to find that specific info.) on the free drinks and then you are charged and tip added on the difference of the allowed dollar amount and the overage. 

Other than that, you didn't do research, make phone calls or ask questions of anyone prior to booking.  Now it seems as though you are blaming NCL for all of your neglect.  

Cuba is an amazing country.  The people are wonderful, friendly, generous, and so happy to entertain tourists.  I really hope you have a wonderful time there and don't let these small things ruin your cruise. 

1 hour ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Hmmm...could it have said UPTO 250 minutes.  And the 100 minutes falls in the 3 - 6 day cruise category you are sailing.  

The NCL Sun AND Sky are BOTH open bar ships within the NCL fleet.  I sailed NCL Sky to Cuba in 2017.  There is a dollar amount cap (I think you need to find that specific info.) on the free drinks and then you are charged and tip added on the difference of the allowed dollar amount and the overage. 

Other than that, you didn't do research, make phone calls or ask questions of anyone prior to booking.  Now it seems as though you are blaming NCL for all of your neglect.  

Cuba is an amazing country.  The people are wonderful, friendly, generous, and so happy to entertain tourists.  I really hope you have a wonderful time there and don't let these small things ruin your cruise. 

1 hour ago, CruiseGal999 said:

It would have been no problem if it said up to 250 minutes, It didn't. It said 250 minutes. Here it is:

FREE AT SEA

Applicable Sailings: 
3+ Day Cruises Fleetwide 

Studios & Insides: Pick 1 Offer
Oceanviews, Balconies & Mini-Suites: Pick 2 Offers
Concierge, Suite & Haven: Get up to 5 Free Offers

Choose from: 
1. Premium Beverage Package
2. Specialty Dining Package
3. 250-Minute Internet Package
4. $50 USD Per Port Shore Excursions
5. 3rd & 4th Guest Free (select sailings)

3 minutes ago, rgtkkb said:

It would have been no problem if it said up to 250 minutes, It didn't. It said 250 minutes. Here it is:

FREE AT SEA

Applicable Sailings: 
3+ Day Cruises Fleetwide 

Studios & Insides: Pick 1 Offer
Oceanviews, Balconies & Mini-Suites: Pick 2 Offers
Concierge, Suite & Haven: Get up to 5 Free Offers

Choose from: 
1. Premium Beverage Package
2. Specialty Dining Package
3. 250-Minute Internet Package
4. $50 USD Per Port Shore Excursions
5. 3rd & 4th Guest Free (select sailings)

Yes, and sometimes the offer will say $700 (for example) free onboard credit.  BUT when you go to book your cabin category you find out that inside cabin is maybe $50 and a window cabin is maybe a $100 and a balcony is maybe $200 and you discover you have to pay $10 - $12,000 for a haven or owner's or some high up suite category to get the $700 on board credit.  It's just how it is.  

I booked my wife on the same cruise in May.  The ship does dock at 8AM, then departs the following morning at 6AM.

The ship IS all inclusive.  The Premium Beverage Package is a "Free at Sea" choice, and from what I understand, gives you free upcharge liquors, certain bottles of wine/champagne at dinners, bottled water and specialty coffees.  I cannot comment on the internet, as I took the free air and the dining as the other choices.

Good luck, and please report back as your sailing is a week away.  Just chill, have a few cocktails and enjoy!

17 minutes ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Yes, and sometimes the offer will say $700 (for example) free onboard credit.  BUT when you go to book your cabin category you find out that inside cabin is maybe $50 and a window cabin is maybe a $100 and a balcony is maybe $200 and you discover you have to pay $10 - $12,000 for a haven or owner's or some high up suite category to get the $700 on board credit.  It's just how it is.  

If that's how it is, it is very wrong. It needs to say UP TO $700 (for example)if it is not $700.

7 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

I booked my wife on the same cruise in May.  The ship does dock at 8AM, then departs the following morning at 6AM.

The ship IS all inclusive.  The Premium Beverage Package is a "Free at Sea" choice, and from what I understand, gives you free upcharge liquors, certain bottles of wine/champagne at dinners, bottled water and specialty coffees.  I cannot comment on the internet, as I took the free air and the dining as the other choices.

Good luck, and please report back as your sailing is a week away.  Just chill, have a few cocktails and enjoy!

My cruise docks at 8 pm and leaves at 6am after two nights. I am just trying to make sure I can have the few cocktails!

Don’t be nervous.  You’ve cruised before.  The perks are how NCL sort of differentiates themselves from the other lines...like they do with Freestyle.  

You should really talk to your PC or TA and have them explain your perks based on your cabin.  What’s your cabin #?  Someone here might have sailed in it and give you a review.