rent a car...yes or no?

iluvcruises

Will be in Antigua this August for the day and it seems there are so many beautiful beaches (we are beach lovers).  Is it worth is to rent a car so we can visit some of these beaches on our own?  Is it safe to drive on our own?  Would love some feedback on anyone that has done this.  Thanks so much!

I have made many visits to Antigua and have driven all over the island, it's perfectly safe and I now know my way around.  However.....for one day?  You'll get lost.  Maps are useless and there are no road signs.  Speeds are low - I doubt if you'll ever see 50mph - and there are plenty of road hazards such as wandering dogs, kids, chickens, cows, donkeys and potholes, oh my! the potholes.  I slammed into one at night - never saw it - and got instant deflation and a big vee-dent in the rim.  I think you would need a local licence which the car rental place will issue on the spot for $20 but that adds to your cost.  So I'm inclined to think you could hire a minivan driver for the day for about the same price and he will take you wherever you want to go and make sure you get back to the ship in time for sailing.

On 4/1/2019 at 2:17 AM, iluvcruises said:

Will be in Antigua this August for the day and it seems there are so many beautiful beaches (we are beach lovers).  Is it worth is to rent a car so we can visit some of these beaches on our own?  Is it safe to drive on our own?  Would love some feedback on anyone that has done this.  Thanks so much!

best to hire a car and driver for a full guided tour.  You can stipulate what you wish to see and do when contacting a driver.  The driver will give you a much better experience than a map.  Also you will be doing a bit for the island.