Hotel Recommendation/London

mariocas

We like to do London long weekends quite frequently.

We prefer the Savoy as it is in a great location for theatres, restaurants (Rules is our favourite), and most other attractions.

Also very handy for the Thames Clipper (water bus).

Apart from that, we just like the hotel.

Stewart

I think that the room prices are beyond the 'average' Cunarder!!

Claridges, Dorchester and The Ritz are other 'classic' London hotels not yet mentioned. The Goring had its profile raised as a result of the the Duchess of Cambridge's pre-royal wedding stay.

6 minutes ago, Toffeegirl68 said:

I think that the room prices are beyond the 'average' Cunarder!!

Claridges, Dorchester and The Ritz are other 'classic' London hotels not yet mentioned. The Goring had its profile raised as a result of the the Duchess of Cambridge's pre-royal wedding stay.

I'm very interested to know what is an " 'average' Cunarder".

We have two favorites in London. The first is the Trafalgar St. James. As the name indicates, it is located right on Trafalgar Square. This hotel is part of the new Hilton Curio Collection. Hilton has been buying up classic hotels around the world and restoring them to their original grandeur. The St James is more of a boutique hotel and the location is excellent. 

The second hotel is the Marriott London County Hall. This grand hotel is located in the old London City Hall building behind the London Eye and is a 3 minute walk to Parliament and Westminster Abby. The law library has been preserved and is used for a grand afternoon tea. Should you stay at either hotel, we highly recommend enjoying a pint of two at the Lord of the Half Moon pub on Whitehall, 1/2 block from Trafalgar Square. 

Jack

The Dukes Hotel, in St. James Place, just off St. James Park, and around the corner from St. James Palace.  It’s a small boutique hotel, reasonably priced, extraordinary service, and known for “the best martinis in London” in the drawing room.   

In addition to most of the others mentioned, we enjoy the Mandarin Oriental which is reopening very soon, at GBP 1850 for a suite, and Rosewood, London, 252 High Holborn St, (the former Marriott Renaissance, and my "home" in London for nearly two years in the late 1990s) at GB  P 1400.  Both provide personalized "Queens Grill" level service.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186338-d193108-Reviews-Rosewood_London-London_England.html#photos;aggregationId=&albumid=14&filter=7&ff=281915632

4 hours ago, ddgarner1 said:

In addition to most of the others mentioned, we enjoy the Mandarin Oriental which is reopening very soon, at GBP 1850 for a suite, and Rosewood, London, 252 High Holborn St, (the former Marriott Renaissance, and my "home" in London for nearly two years in the late 1990s) at GB  P 1400.  Both provide personalized "Queens Grill" level service.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186338-d193108-Reviews-Rosewood_London-London_England.html#photos;aggregationId=&albumid=14&filter=7&ff=281915632

The Savoy and Ritz are both top notch in service and location.

Both way way above Queens Grill!

I usually stay at the Cavendish, St. James, on Jermyn Street. And I have been staying there for twenty plus years. It is conveniently located one block off Picadilly, behind Fortnum and Mason.  It is an easy walk to Picadilly Circus or Green Park Stations on the Picadilly line.

It is a modern hotel, recently redecorated, with an excellent staff. The rooms are better priced than the Savoy or Claridges. There are great restaurants near by,  and you are within walking distance of Bond Street, Regent Street. the various arcades, Buckingham and St. James Palaces. It is a safe, quiet place in the evening.  It was a find in the '90s for me, and has been a keeper. Take a look www.thecavendish-london.co.uk .

2 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

I usually stay at the Cavendish, St. James, on Jermyn Street. And I have been staying there for twenty plus years. It is conveniently located one block off Picadilly, behind Fortnum and Mason.  It is an easy walk to Picadilly Circus or Green Park Stations on the Picadilly line.

It is a modern hotel, recently redecorated, with an excellent staff. The rooms are better priced than the Savoy or Claridges. There are great restaurants near by,  and you are within walking distance of Bond Street, Regent Street. the various arcades, Buckingham and St. James Palaces. It is a safe, quiet place in the evening.  It was a find in the '90s for me, and has been a keeper. Take a look www.thecavendish-london.co.uk .

We stayed there in the 90’s as well. The rooms unless you get a suite are so small they are hardly fit for two and the service is certainly not the same as in a five star hotel. The location is however quite good.

23 minutes ago, orchestrapal said:

We stayed there in the 90’s as well. The rooms unless you get a suite are so small they are hardly fit for two and the service is certainly not the same as in a five star hotel. The location is however quite good.

It has been remodeled and a number of rooms have been doubled in size in the early 2000s They are quite comfortable for two. The service has improved significantly  since the ownership of the Ritz took them over from Trust House Forte Group as well.