Medallion question

cole'snana

We are an older couple who do not have devices that use apps.  We have a BB cruise May 25 on Caribbean Princess.

Will we still receive the medallion in the mail?  Do I have to do anything on my reservation about this?  Thank you.

Don't worry about it.  Just pick them up when you check in at the cruise port.  We are retired (73/71) and use app devices on a regular basis and live in the US, but don't want to bother with getting medallions early - just easier for us to pick up at port.  I believe you do have to do some kind of sign in to get them mailed to you, but again, don't want them early.  So just delete this from your before cruise to do list and pick up at port.

Pooh

• Like 2

On 4/1/2019 at 12:12 PM, PoohUnderstands said:

Don't worry about it.  Just pick them up when you check in at the cruise port.  We are retired (73/71) and use app devices on a regular basis and live in the US, but don't want to bother with getting medallions early - just easier for us to pick up at port.  I believe you do have to do some kind of sign in to get them mailed to you, but again, don't want them early.  So just delete this from your before cruise to do list and pick up at port.

Pooh

Agreed. To me, part of the fun is getting the tech set up in advance and anticipating the arrival of the OM devices and wondering when the DHL driver will show up. But that's just me. 

If you don't want to worry with all of this, then just don't. As Pooh advises, just pick them up at the port when you arrive and off you go!

Enjoy your cruise!!

The OM act like the cruise card, you'll see no difference in it's use. If ship is fully OM functional, you'll be able to use cabin TV and public screens to do some functions like locating each other and access to folio.

Nana, don't worry about it.  These "medallions" do not require you to use them except as your old-fashioned cruise card.

I love apps -- buffalo wings, crackers and cheese, etc -- but I don't use apps on my phone!.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

DH & I will be taking our first Medallion cruise in Dec on the SKY Princess!!!  I have a few questions for people who have used them.

#1 - what kind of "holder" do you automatically get?  (ie, bracelet, lanyard, necklace, etc)

#2 - if you want a nicer one, I assume you have to buy it.  How much do they cost?

#3 - Someone mentioned above that you can find the people you are cruising with.  How exactly does that work?

#4 - I will be getting the Soda Package, I'm assuming my medallion will just be scanned, correct?

#5 - Do you have to sync your medallion to your cell phone?

Thank you :classic_smile:

On 4/2/2019 at 7:44 PM, Crusin Sue said:

I can't get the app to download on my galaxy device.  Can you still use the internet unlimited on the device without it?

The internet has nothing to do with the ocean medallion.  Two different things; ocean medallion allows you to pay for things in gift shop, pay for drinks, and get you on and off the ship, and into your cabin.  Medallion net; is the new fast internet. You do not need to have ocean medallion to use the faster wifi medallion net

On 4/1/2019 at 10:50 AM, cole'snana said:

We are an older couple who do not have devices that use apps.  We have a BB cruise May 25 on Caribbean Princess.

Will we still receive the medallion in the mail?  Do I have to do anything on my reservation about this?  Thank you.

If you don't have a device to download the ocean medallion apps, then you can just wait until you arrive at the port.  Once final payment is made you can go to the website; ocean.com and register for your medallion that way.  Assuming you have a desktop computer or laptop.

Edited by AF-1

1 hour ago, Denali2003 said:

DH & I will be taking our first Medallion cruise in Dec on the SKY Princess!!!  I have a few questions for people who have used them.

#1 - what kind of "holder" do you automatically get?  (ie, bracelet, lanyard, necklace, etc)

A lanyard with a blue insert card to hold the Medallion device. 

#2 - if you want a nicer one, I assume you have to buy it.  How much do they cost?

Various styles of holders are for sale in the Medallion shop along with a selection of insert cards to replace the blue one. You simply pick the country, agenda, sport, etc, etc you wish to support and they likely have a card for you. I've never purchased one so cannot comment on the cost. I expect your purchase decision will be limited only by your budget. 

#3 - Someone mentioned above that you can find the people you are cruising with.  How exactly does that work?

It's a function called Shipmates. 

See: 

Do a search for Princess Medallion Class and you'll find many more videos.

#4 - I will be getting the Soda Package, I'm assuming my medallion will just be scanned, correct?

Correct. When you order you will present your OM device to the server in exactly the same way you previously presented your cruise card. If it's working, you may be able to skip the presentation step as the info stored on your OM device will display on the POS terminal as you approach it. They can explain this to you best when you are on board. 

#5 - Do you have to sync your medallion to your cell phone?

No. Leave your cell phone in your stateroom safe if you wish. The only thing I've ever used my phone for is to order drinks with the ap. You can also gamble on your phone on a dedicated ap if you wish but I've never chosen to throw away money electronically. There are plenty of other ways to spend it onboard. But if this is to your liking, go for it. 

Thank you :classic_smile:

Ep010835 -- Thank you so much for your help.  The videos gave me great information.  I'm a bit creeped out about when you walk up to a bar and the bartender will know your name (without me giving it to them).  I like the fact that you can find your cruise mates easily!  I did notice that the color of the medallion represents your status (1st time, Ruby, Platinum, Elite).  I also like that I don't have to carry my cell phone around.  We did that on our last cruise, just because we were using the "at" Sea app to send messages to our cruise mates.  

Does it take longer to board (when coming & going from a port) using the Medallion?  I saw that you have to put your medallion up against something and wait for the light to turn green.

7 minutes ago, Denali2003 said:

Ep010835 -- Thank you so much for your help.  The videos gave me great information.  I'm a bit creeped out about when you walk up to a bar and the bartender will know your name (without me giving it to them).  I like the fact that you can find your cruise mates easily!  I did notice that the color of the medallion represents your status (1st time, Ruby, Platinum, Elite).  I also like that I don't have to carry my cell phone around.  We did that on our last cruise, just because we were using the "at" Sea app to send messages to our cruise mates.  

Your name will show up on their POS device but if you choose to upload an avatar to that section of Ocean Ready, your avatar will appear on all of the POS screens rather than your photo. This is also true for the image that will appear on the screen at your cabin door. Your photo or an avatar of your choice will appear. It's your call. 

Does it take longer to board (when coming & going from a port) using the Medallion?  I saw that you have to put your medallion up against something and wait for the light to turn green.

As long as the system is working, it's quick and painless. You place your OM device on the reader and when it turns green, you are good to go. 2-3 seconds/per person, may. 

Now if the system is down or operating slowly, it will take longer. I've never experienced such an outage but I've read others have. Maybe some of them will join the conversation. 

On 4/1/2019 at 10:50 AM, cole'snana said:

You do not need to use any apps with the Medallion.  It's simply your cruise card on a necklace.

Just now, fishin' musician said:

My understanding is that you can get a cruise card if you prefer it to the Medallion doodad thingy. 

Depends on the ship you sail. On CB you get both. But i hear on Royal you only are getting medallion

You do not have to have a smart phone.  The medallion is used the same as your cruise card. 

We didn't order in advance ... just given them when we boarded.  

No Problem!  :classic_cool:

Edited by OCruisers