Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

1 minute ago, heyya604 said:

This is such disappointing news for so many involved.

I hope those injured are ok.  

We are supposed to sail mid May from Barcelona.

Anyone have an opinion on if I should be making other plans? Thank You 

The Transatlantic has been cancelled as of now. Standby to standby. 

11 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Heard just about everything Royal is sold out for next few weeks...so good luck if you are trying to rebook immediately.

Yeah, no surprise as we are in the middle of Spring Break and just before the Easter recess.

I guess that's why they offered up the 100% FCC in addition to full refund.  Kudo's to Royal! 👍

Hopefully people will have better luck than Twangster

Edited by HBE4

1 minute ago, ptf2009 said:

What about those who took out cruise insurance with a 3rd party...not RC? Will RC not give them the refund since they will be getting one from their insurance company?

They would need to read their contracts closely, I imagine there's language in there to protect the insurance company in the event the cruise line is refunding the fare directly.

Just now, ptf2009 said:

What about those who took out cruise insurance with a 3rd party...not RC? Will RC not give them the refund since they will be getting one from their insurance company?

Most likely Royal will give the refund and the insurance will cover anything Royal did not. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I get that, but since for the most part most won't be out additional funds it shouldn't be too hard to swallow - sure it will suck but hopefully a plan B presents itself for most!  My youngest is a senior in college and we took he and his GF on a cruise for their spring break last month, we would have been so bummed if this happened then but we would have figured something out, there's just no other choice.  I don't miss the days of standardized testing!

I wish I didn't have to deal with the testing. But I will just look forward to my summer cruise and all will be OK. I think what stinks is the loss of the airfare for a lot of people, I guess you could go stay in Florida but that may not be ideal for some. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, heyya604 said:

This is such disappointing news for so many involved.

I hope those injured are ok.  

We are supposed to sail mid May from Barcelona.

Anyone have an opinion on if I should be making other plans? Thank You 

We are booked on the May 12 sailing. Since we have flights to BCN and an apartment rented for 3 days before the cruise, we are still planning to go. If the cruise gets cancelled, we will take the refunded money and just book flights and hotels to see Florence, Rome and Naples. We would then fly back to BCN to get back to the US. It will be disappointing to miss the cruise, but we plan to make lemonade out of lemons.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

Don't count chickens just yet.  My 50% FCC on the Navigator dry dock cancellation turned into 37% FCC which just covered my airfare and hotel loss.  

I'll lose over $400 on my airfare on this one because it's the roundtrip portion of the flight I used to fly to BCN and sail Symphony back in October.  Because it's a half used round trip flight that I'm cancelling it's very restrictive.  With a large FCC I'll hopefully not lose money when all is said and done but it's hardly a free cruise.  

I don’t like using the insurance line but this instance helps prove travel insurance is worthwhile.  That would cover this wouldn’t it? I would think you’d have a darn good argument to recoup all costs!

1 minute ago, Paul in Phoenix said:

We are booked on the May 12 sailing. Since we have flights to BCN and an apartment rented for 3 days before the cruise, we are still planning to go. If the cruise gets cancelled, we will take the refunded money and just book flights and hotels to see Florence, Rome and Naples. We would then fly back to BCN to get back to the US. It will be disappointing to miss the cruise, but we plan to make lemonade out of lemons.

I know it helps you’re over a month out but great attitude! 

7 minutes ago, ptf2009 said:

You go to their site, which should have info and fill out the paperwork to get a refund.  You can check with airlines to see if you can reschedule it, SWA is pretty good with no fees to changes.

2 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I don’t like using the insurance line but this instance helps prove travel insurance is worthwhile.  That would cover this wouldn’t it? I would think you’d have a darn good argument to recoup all costs!

Allianz annual plans cover a whopping $150 in airline costs.

8 minutes ago, Palmetto Pilot said:

The Transatlantic has been cancelled as of now. Standby to standby. 

The transatlantic shows it was supposed to be a 2 week cruise...so this does not look good for the May 5 sailing, does it?

1 minute ago, Plum Happy said:

You go to their site, which should have info and fill out the paperwork to get a refund.  You can check with airlines to see if you can reschedule it, SWA is pretty good with no fees to changes.

SWA doesn't fly to Barcelona:( Thank goodness we took out travel insurance and purchased our air through RC....

Royal Caribbean

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

Yesterday, while undergoing repairs to the propulsion system in the Grand Bahama shipyard, there was an issue in the dry dock structure that caused considerable damage to the facility that will prevent us from completing the work on Oasis of the Seas. The incident also caused a construction crane to fall onto the ship resulting in damage to the Aqua Theatre and some suites. We are very grateful that there were no life-threatening injuries and everyone is recovering, as the safety of our crew and guests is always our number one priority.

Given the situation and our need to complete the scheduled maintenance, we now must reposition the ship to Cadiz, Spain which is the only facility with immediate availability for a ship her size. We are sad to share that as a result, we are forced to cancel our April 21st cruise, as we work to get the ship repaired.

We know this news is disappointing and we’re terribly sorry for the impact to your vacation. We understand a lot of time goes into planning and coordinating your cruise vacation. Therefore, we’ll provide you with the following:

• You’ll receive a full refund to your original form of payment, including any non-refundable deposits by Monday, April 8th, 2019. Times may vary depending on your financial institution.
  • All pre-paid amenities, packages, and shore excursions will be refunded to your original form of payment within 7 - 10 business days. 
  • Plus, if you reserved your air with our Air2Sea Program, we’ll provide you with a refund. If you didn’t book your air with us, we’ll reimburse you for non-refundable airline change fees (up to $200 per guest for Domestic flights and up to $400 per guest for International flights). Please email us your receipts to RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com. 
  • Given this late cancellation, we will also provide you with a Future Cruise Credit valued at 100% of your cruise fare paid on your cancelled sailing. You can expect to receive your Future Cruise Credit via email by Friday, April 5th, 2019. We hope you’ll come and experience everything that we have to offer at a later time.

If you have any questions or need assistance with finding a new cruise, please contact your Travel Advisor.

Thank you for understanding. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you onboard in the near future!

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

Here are some helpful answers to questions you may have.

Why is my sailing being cancelled?

Your sailing is being cancelled because unfortunately, a construction crane fell onto Oasis of the Seas and we now need additional time for these unforeseen repairs. We are terribly sorry. We know this is disappointing. Your safety, and that of our crew, is our number one priority and we need to ensure the ship is seaworthy. We do hope you find an alternate vacation option with us.

How much am I getting back because of this cancellation?

We understand that this cancellation was made last minute because of this unforeseeable circumstance, so we are providing you:

• A full refund of your cruise fare paid to the original form of payment. You should see this post to your account by early next week.
  • A full refund of all pre-booked Cruise Planner items to the card on file. These refunds will take about 7-10 days to post to your account.
  • Future Cruise Certificates in the value of 100% of your cruise fare paid. These will be available for use by Friday, April 5th, 2019.
  • And, if you booked your air with us through our Air2Sea Program, we will provide you with a full refund for your air.
    • If you didn’t book your air with us, we’ll reimburse you for non-refundable airlines change fees (up to $200 per guest for Domestic flights and up to $400 per guest for International flights).

What if my reservation had FCC’s applied?

Your refund will be issued for the full value of the Cruisefare paid. 

What if I booked a shore excursion?

All pre-booked shore excursions will be refunded to the original form of payment within 7- 10 business days.

What if I booked through the non-refundable program?

You will receive a full refund of your deposit, including the non-refundable program service fee.

What about my Crown & Anchor points. Will I receive all my CAS points?

Unfortunately, since the sailing was cancelled, no Crown & Anchor points will be awarded to anyone. We truly apologize for this inconvenience.

Where/how can I send my air receipts for reimbursement?

Please submit your air change receipts via email to RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com.

Will you be refunding my Royal Caribbean Travel Protection?

We will be withholding the amount of Royal Caribbean Travel Protection, so our guests can file claims for any additional travel costs that are not covered by our compensation.

How was my refund calculated?

All monies paid to Royal Caribbean are being refunded – with the exception of Travel Protection.  Please keep in mind that if you used multiple forms of payment for your cruise, each corresponding amount will be refunded to each form of payment.

I have more questions, where can I call?

Please contact your Travel Advisor.

How do I redeem my Future Cruise Credit?

Please contact your Travel Advisor directly to redeem your Future Cruise Credit. Your Future Cruise Credit is redeemable towards cruise fare only and is not valid on Complimentary cruises, Incentive bookings, or Charter sailings. All guests are responsible for taxes and fees where applicable.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ptf2009 said:

The transatlantic shows it was supposed to be a 2 week cruise...so this does not look good for the May 5 sailing, does it?

It doesn’t take 2 weeks to get across the Atlantic. It was stopping in a couple of places on the way over. 

Just got my official email from RCI. As reported, we get a full refund that will be issued on April 8. We also get a 100% credit of our fare for a future cruise. This will be available April 5. I'm disappointed but very pleased with how they're handling things. 

• Like 4

I was just told that the 7, 14 and 21 April cruises have been cancelled.  The ship was damaged in the Aqua Theater and some of the suites at the rear of the ship.  They are leaving right away for Spain where they will be putting into a repair facility there that is big enough for her to make the repairs there.  All other sailings should be OK.  Hopefully!

• Like 1

Just now, ptf2009 said:

SWA doesn't fly to Barcelona:( Thank goodness we took out travel insurance and purchased our air through RC....

I was referring to get to a Florida for the cruise.  You can still call the airlines about trip cancellation.  Read the portion concerning trip cancellation.  They may reimburse you the fee that you don’t get back from the airline.  You’re getting back the trip portion from Royal.

Well not going to jump the gun.....but there has always been some discussion that these Oasis class ships have to go back across the pond for dry-docks....looks like now there worst nightmare may have come to fruition....what happens if they need extensive repair to get across the pond???