Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

34 minutes ago, willde said:

This might already be known, and reflected in the current cancellations.  Of course, many projects of that scope entail logistics for which delays are practically expected yet unknown.  For the vast majority of us here, knowing exactly what the damage is would be fairly useless in predicting how long repairs will take, and RCL will probably not disclose that publicly.  But I do understand the interest to know more, and am hopeful the Jun 9 sailing isn't affected.  

Figuring what workflow will minimized downtime is definitely complex on a project that large!  I'm sure folks are trying to asses what needs to be done now, what will be done in Spain, what can be deferred until later drydockings, if anything unrelated should be added because they will have the resources to knock it out, etc.  Any drydocking must amazing to view from the management side, with hundreds, if not thousands of individual tasks being done on something bigger than a city block, some interrelated and some not... and then add in some unfortunate new variables...

I imagine the schedule could be in flux for several days at least.  Hopefully additional disruption is minimized and a maximum amount of notice is provided if changes become necessary.  I am glad there were no life threatening injuries reported.  I can't imagine being in a cofferdam when things started shifting!

3 hours ago, CsStingray said:

We were booked on the sailing to leave this Sunday.  I’d be lying if I said my kids were the only ones to shed tears over this cancellation. We have been very much looking forward to this cruise.  

I do have a question about the refund and cruise credit—hopefully someone here has experience with my situation. I won a “free” cruise ($1250 credit) last April at bingo on Liberty.  This was supposed to be our “free” cruise.  I understand that I will only be refunded for the portion I actually paid, but will I still be able to use my free cruise credit, or is that gone now?  

Thanks in advance!

This was part of the email letter sent to us concerning our cancelled Oasis TA cruise so I would expect the new credit would be the total cruise fare of the cancelled cruise not just the portion of the cruise fare you paid.

I would call RCI to confirm this is so.

What if my reservation had FCC’s applied?

Your refund will be issued for the full value of the Cruisefare paid.

Edited by robtulipe

5 hours ago, coaster said:

Agree. Some people feel entitled and nothing can be done to please them. 

Easy there I wouldn’t call it being entitled. Just getting a refund on a trip  that was canceled is not complete compensation. In our case we booked our cruise  ( not yet cancelled) Over two years ago. My kids of been watching YouTube videos for the past six months getting excited about our Mediterranean trip on the oasis we have flights booked we have hotels booked and we have vacation time we strategically took off.  Granted one should be smart and have insurance for all other cost items. But the simple fact that your dream vacation you been waiting for for two years is canceled as a big hit   The additional on top they are giving passengers now is a goodwill gesture which somewhat eases the pain

Edited by mousefan73
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ezelaya said:

I think the refund and other accommodations are great, but when I think about it, it may not end up being the same value. Symphone is replacing Oasis in Port Canaveral. We booked a owners suite for April 7th as we always do. With Symphone being a bigger ship, our 100% value free cruise from Oasis may not be the same price on Symphony for an owners suite. 

There is no relation between size of a ship and prize of a cabin. Bigger is not always better or more expensive. In fact it is the opposite if you compare all cruise lines. Also Symphony is not really bigger than Oasis, she has just a few more cabins in the back and is a little younger.     

I am thinking Royal lucked out by having a planned TA coming up in a couple weeks. Had Oasis been due to stay in the Caribbean it would have meant crossing the Atlantic twice (to Cadiz for repairs and then to return to the Caribbean). That would have meant being out of service for at least another week. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dtagirl said:

As far as the future cruise credit, it is 100% of the fare paid.  So only look at the fare portion of your invoice minus any credits etc.  It isn't a 100% of the cruise

This wasn't the issue the NCL passengers had.  They booked what turned out to be cheaper cruises (above and beyond the price-protected cruises that were offered in compensation) in order to use their FCC only to find that the FCC doesn't pay for the port taxes and fees on the new cruise, it only pays the base fare.

The azipod bearing problem was documented months ago. In early December 2018 Oasis’s March 31st sailing was cancelled so that the azipod bearings could be replaced prior to the scheduled Transatlantic voyage. Dry dock and wet dock reservations sometimes are scheduled months or years in advance. Now that the wet dock is extensively damaged in Freeport Royal Caribbean has no choice but to send the Oasis Of The Seas to Cadiz, Spain for repairs to the bearings and repairs to the structure caused by the cranes collapse.

23 minutes ago, Corby114 said:

The azipod bearing problem was documented months ago. In early December 2018 Oasis’s March 31st sailing was cancelled so that the azipod bearings could be replaced prior to the scheduled Transatlantic voyage. Dry dock and wet dock reservations sometimes are scheduled months or years in advance. Now that the wet dock is extensively damaged in Freeport Royal Caribbean has no choice but to send the Oasis Of The Seas to Cadiz, Spain for repairs to the bearings and repairs to the structure caused by the cranes collapse.

Thanks of a recap for the blatantly obvious. 😉 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

Speaking of the crew, what sort of compensation will they receive in light of the missed itineraries.  For example, grats. is a part of the crew's compensation and any other benefits that they accrue.

They will continue to be paid as normal.  While DSC does represent a large percentage of their "salary", there is a minimum wage that the company has to pay, regardless of how little the DSC amounts to, so they will at least receive the minimum wage, but generally the company makes good on the full wage in cases like this, where the reduction of DSC is not due to service faults.

• Like 4

Just now, chengkp75 said:

They will continue to be paid as normal.  While DSC does represent a large percentage of their "salary", there is a minimum wage that the company has to pay, regardless of how little the DSC amounts to, so they will at least receive the minimum wage, but generally the company makes good on the full wage in cases like this, where the reduction of DSC is not due to service faults.

This is great to know!  It simply is one of those sucks all around events but seems as well to be handled as well as can be expected.  I would hope they extend expiration on the FCC credits to be issued - I know that plays with their books but for so many a year (isn't that what it typically is?) may not be enough to re-plan, especially if coordinating families and kids and breaks and jobs, etc.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ptf2009 said:

Really? They can leave right away for Spain with the underside and azipod damage? I guess we'll just have to keep our eye on Oasis in the meantime...

I didn't hear anything about the underside being damaged.

14 hours ago, closecruiser said:

Will RC cover the airfare that was purchased if we’d be coming back from Belgium to Orlando instead of Barcelona.   We were going there for a few days.   Or what about the RC insurance we took out also.   

Never had to deal with this before as I’m sure others too. 

Thanks 

Pat

This is why I have cancellation insurance.

8 hours ago, mousefan73 said:

Easy there I wouldn’t call it being entitled. Just getting a refund on a trip  that was canceled is not complete compensation. In our case we booked our cruise  ( not yet cancelled) Over two years ago. My kids of been watching YouTube videos for the past six months getting excited about our Mediterranean trip on the oasis we have flights booked we have hotels booked and we have vacation time we strategically took off.  Granted one should be smart and have insurance for all other cost items. But the simple fact that your dream vacation you been waiting for for two years is canceled as a big hit   The additional on top they are giving passengers now is a goodwill gesture which somewhat eases the pain

Eases the pain and goes a long way to bringing RCI up in my eyes!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, dadofjessie said:

I didn't hear anything about the underside being damaged.

This is why I have cancellation insurance.

We spoke to a rep on the phone who advised Oasis suffered damage to the underside of the ship. So take it as you will based on the source. 

11 hours ago, sailor05 said:

I'd be checking ALL other cruise lines if it were me. As long as I'm on a ship I'd take it versus not doing anything. Check Norwegian and Carnival for sure. Or a week in Florida wouldn't be hateful either. I think I could come up with something to make a fun week out of it.

I already live here so another week in Florida would be the same as it was last week. lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

Expected.  I'm sure the insurance carriers will also launch their own investigation and so will the principal owners of the shipyard, Royal and Carnival.  They likely already know, or at least have a general idea of what caused it.    

• Like 1