Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

13 minutes ago, The Grumpus said:

More interesting to me is that the Russians have only one carrier. 🤔

Russian carrier travels with a couple of tug boats. 🤣

Pretty sure US carriers are faster than their support ships. Luckily their subs can keep up.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The situation with the Oasis has a proposed solution, at this point I'm more interested in the next step.  I'm booked on a ship a couple of months from now that is supposed to be the first cruise after dry dock.  I'll be interested in any damage to the dry dock and any impact on future dry docks for other ships.

Hadn't really though about repairs to the drydock.  🤔

Assuming it's determined to have sufficient integrity for repair, maybe a large cofferdam could be built around it to get it out of the water.  Might be more cost effective to build a graving dock in its place.  Speculating greatly... 🤓

Edited by willde

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Pretty sure US carriers are faster than their support ships. Luckily their subs can keep up.

Top speed in excess of 30 kts.  I don't think the Navy reveals the actual top speed.

4 minutes ago, jdjaguar said:

Same as China. Except China’s carrier has no planes (yet).

7 minutes ago, jdjaguar said:

I think China bought their carrier hull from Russia.

Well I read in that story that Russia dumped a few jets into the ocean, so China could fix those up too. 🤫

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The situation with the Oasis has a proposed solution, at this point I'm more interested in the next step.  I'm booked on a ship a couple of months from now that is supposed to be the first cruise after dry dock.  I'll be interested in any damage to the dry dock and any impact on future dry docks for other ships.

What ship are you sailing on?

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Top speed in excess of 30 kts.  I don't think the Navy reveals the actual top speed.

Pat says the Enterprise was the fastest carrier ever.

Edited by John&LaLa

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Pat says the Enterprise was the fastest carrier ever, but yes, the Nimitz ships do 30+ its.  Legend is the sea trials were done with gauges blacked out. 

From what I've read, only the attack subs can keep up with a carrier wide open.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrMarc said:

From research on the internet, which does not make me any kind of expert, I found a number of references to "Transverse bending Failure".  No reason for anyone to believe me, I am just guessing.  If I am right, no one will care.  If I am wrong, I expect to be flamed for needless speculation.  Such is life on the internet, but sometimes it's fun.

This whole thread is full of speculation, nothing wrong with supplying a link, time will tell what actually happened.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I still believe it was a failure of a ballast pipe or valve on the dock that flooded one or more of the ballast tanks, sinking that side of the dock.

From the reports on some sites of the failure of the dock and the port now stating there are going to be far less work due to dock 2 now not being available for a significant amount of time going forwards it does appear to be more than ballast tanks now. 

The original video shows one side of the dock vertical with the crane pressing into the side of the ship, but the other side of the dock and canes also pointing into the ship, which lets be honest isn't a good sign. The shot below seems from the angle to show the same. One side up in the air but the other side vertical / leaning it a little, could be the camera but other shots show the same strange angles.

We will find out the right answer eventually though hey, just hypothesising. Just need someone to go around it with a camera and boat to give us a better view, anyone local with a dingy.  

56275923_2225205254363204_82044356104594

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:

But there are 2 tugs that seem to be positioning themselves around the bow

Yes and there is a third at the stern, but I think those have been there since the accident.  A pilot boat had just been by Oasis about 5 minutes ago too but there was a pilot boat near Oasis yesterday multiple times.

2 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Yes and there is a third at the stern, but I think those have been there since the accident.  A pilot boat had just been by Oasis about 5 minutes ago too but there was a pilot boat near Oasis yesterday multiple times.

I was just gonna say the same thing. The pilot was there yesterday also and then went to a cargo ship across the way. Tugs have been with Oasis all day and a pusher (Commitment) has been docked nearby also. 

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Thinking about it, they would probably have to remove the cranes first, which I would imagine will take more than 1 day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

What ship are you sailing on?

I'm sailing on the Celebrity Silhouette which is scheduled in January 2020.  They are updating their fleet and the first of their Solstice class ships is scheduled for May 2019. Depending on how things go we could sail on the Equinox later this year.

11 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Thinking about it, they would probably have to remove the cranes first, which I would imagine will take more than 1 day.

They're gonna need a bigger crane to remove the crane. Unless they plan on shipping the crane that is onboard to Spain.

The crane to Spain is really a pain

Edited by Captain Billy Bob
  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Captain Billy Bob said:

They're gonna need a bigger crane to remove the crane. Unless they plan on shipping the crane that is onboard to Spain.

The crane to Spain is really a pain

Nice reference!

but to sing it add “just” after “really”

James Van Fleet ever share details on social media after the mishap? Seemed like he was really into giving us first hand details from GBSL a few days ago.

Edited by coaster