Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

9 hours ago, CruisetheGlobe said:

Video on the azipod work performed on her sister ship the Azure: "there is no place for a mistake when the ship is in place"

Thanks for finding and  posting that video.  Very interesting to see the process.

4 minutes ago, above sea level cruiser said:

AIS is showing that Carnival Sunrise has left the dry dock in Cadiz, maybe for sea trials? Does anyone have an update as to when Oasis will leave Freeport? - I understand it may take 12 days for the trip at full speed.

The distance is 3716 nm, so at 20 knots it is 7 days, 18 hours, plus 5 hours of time change, so call it 8 days.  At a fuel efficient 14 knots, it is 11 days, 1 hour + 5 or 11.5 days.

If Sunrise has left on sea trials (not in range of AIS anymore), unless there is a problem, there is no reason to pump the dock out again, so they may either dock her wet in the drydock, or at a layberth elsewhere in the yard for completion.

13 minutes ago, above sea level cruiser said:

AIS is showing that Carnival Sunrise has left the dry dock in Cadiz, maybe for sea trials? Does anyone have an update as to when Oasis will leave Freeport? - I understand it may take 12 days for the trip at full speed.

AIS is lying, of that I can promise you 

scheduled for sea trials the 15th - 18th

2 minutes ago, Dry Dock Dave said:

AIS is lying, of that I can promise you 

scheduled for sea trials the 15th - 18th

Likely AIS is switched off, actually surprised they left it on in dock.  Last received position was 2 days ago.

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Likely AIS is switched off, actually surprised they left it on in dock.  Last received position was 2 days ago.

Out of curiosity, why switch it off? (As a completely random side note I live on a boat with AIS....which I leave switched off lol) 

19 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

All the other ships in Cadiz dockyard have their AIS on. Perhaps Carnival Sunshine turned it off so no one would know the progress of the work and if or when it left the dry dock?

31 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The distance is 3716 nm, so at 20 knots it is 7 days, 18 hours, plus 5 hours of time change, so call it 8 days.  At a fuel efficient 14 knots, it is 11 days, 1 hour + 5 or 11.5 days.

If Sunrise has left on sea trials (not in range of AIS anymore), unless there is a problem, there is no reason to pump the dock out again, so they may either dock her wet in the drydock, or at a layberth elsewhere in the yard for completion.

Would it be safe to assume that if it travels at a decent (on all three pods) speed, that the propulsion gear is fine and the only thing they have to do is repair the damage caused by the crane(s)?

30 minutes ago, DerekB said:

Out of curiosity, why switch it off? (As a completely random side note I live on a boat with AIS....which I leave switched off lol) 

If the emergency power source for the AIS is turned off for maintenance/testing, the AIS battery will fade eventually.  And sometimes in shipyard the navigating officer will turn everything off on the bridge to prevent possible damage.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, above sea level cruiser said:

Would it be safe to assume that if it travels at a decent (on all three pods) speed, that the propulsion gear is fine and the only thing they have to do is repair the damage caused by the crane(s)?

She should make about 15-16 knots on two pods, or three pods at reduced power, so yes, anything over 15 knots should represent no problems with the pods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If the emergency power source for the AIS is turned off for maintenance/testing, the AIS battery will fade eventually.  And sometimes in shipyard the navigating officer will turn everything off on the bridge to prevent possible damage.

Thanks. And thanks for your ongoing good information and knowledge.

22 hours ago, twangster said:

My travel agent got mine yestedday and I applied it to an existing booking.  My Panama Canal cruise is now paid in full 👍.

Does that mean you will not get any C+A point for that cruise - since it is "free"?🤔

That is what some claim to be the case....

15 hours ago, fsjosh said:

Granted, I'm using the google translate, but they also say that the repair will have a "very positive impact" and will have an enhancement of the company's image worldwide. That statement alone makes you discount everything it says. 

I think the article is mixing up the original scheduled dry-dock work to amp up the ship with the repairs needed because of incident in Freeport.  The "very positive impact" and "enhancement".  At this point, Royal Caribbean really didn't have choice but send the ship over early, as the dry-dock is currently unusable.  The Caldiz seems to be available before the original scheduled dry-dock, so it was decided to send their immediately, for repair of the damage caused by the incident.  Do the maintenance on the azipod while also doing the amp.

One thing I don't quite understand, was why do the azipod work in Freeport.  I was under the impression that the Oasis had an on-going propulsion issue.  So I was thinking, that it couldn't make reasonable speed on the TA that would be acceptable to those passengers.  So RCCL had a choice of cancelling a 7 day Caribbean sailing or cancelling the TA.  I can see various permutations where the timing could also come into play.

However the chief said this was more a preventive issue as opposed to an on-going issue.  Unfortunately,  I really hadn't followed what was going on in regards Oasis cruise cancellations over the last few months.

Please feel to correct me on anything wrote above and/or fill in the blanks.

5 minutes ago, gatour said:

I think the article is mixing up the original scheduled dry-dock work to amp up the ship with the repairs needed because of incident in Freeport.  The "very positive impact" and "enhancement".  At this point, Royal Caribbean really didn't have choice but send the ship over early, as the dry-dock is currently unusable.  The Caldiz seems to be available before the original scheduled dry-dock, so it was decided to send their immediately, for repair of the damage caused by the incident.  Do the maintenance on the azipod while also doing the amp.

One thing I don't quite understand, was why do the azipod work in Freeport.  I was under the impression that the Oasis had an on-going propulsion issue.  So I was thinking, that it couldn't make reasonable speed on the TA that would be acceptable to those passengers.  So RCCL had a choice of cancelling a 7 day Caribbean sailing or cancelling the TA.  I can see various permutations where the timing could also come into play.

However the chief said this was more a preventive issue as opposed to an on-going issue.  Unfortunately,  I really hadn't followed what was going on in regards Oasis cruise cancellations over the last few months.

Please feel to correct me on anything wrote above and/or fill in the blanks.

I think after the last propultion issues with the Viking Star - they were ordered to have everything fixed before the TA - as 8000 passengers stuck in the midle of the atlantic would be quite a nightmare....😱

9 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Does that mean you will not get any C+A point for that cruise - since it is "free"?🤔

I'll let you know in six months 🙂

I've used a number of FCC's on past cruises although never to pay for the whole thing (minus taxes and port fees).  I've never had C&A points called into question.  I'd be curious to know if these people have actually experienced this or are they just forecasting a theory with no basis.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I guess it will be a wait and see.  Not everything on the Internet is true. 

I guess one could not take the “free” cruise, and pay for one to get the points. I know what I’d be doing, points or no points. 

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'll let you know in six months 🙂

I've used a number of FCC's on past cruises although never to pay for the whole thing (minus taxes and port fees).  I've never had C&A points called into question.  I'd be curious to know if these people have actually experienced this or are they just forecasting a theory with no basis.   

Same here for me on to cruises with FCC.  I went on the 2 different cruises and received the points. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've never had C&A points called into question.  I'd be curious to know if these people have actually experienced this or are they just forecasting a theory with no basis.   

Same here biut never had a full cruise paid with an FCC....just a discount so far - since the taxes were paid - I would be surprised if their IT would still consider this a "free" cruise...

I will let you know in about 5 weeks.....😁

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik
  • Like 2