Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

6 hours ago, voyager70 said:

And at one point morphed into a discussion about European vacation policies 😁

And in a totally inception level moment, it has now morphed into a discussion  about the European vacation policy discussion. 😮

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I was told at officer lunch that Oasis would get slides. The Abyss is a slide.😉

I was really only hoping for only the water slides. Personally, I just thing the Abyss is an eye sore! 

7 hours ago, yzfmik said:

I spoke to several employees a few weeks ago on Oasis about the AMP and the guys at the Sabor Bar were very confident that the Ultimate Abyss is coming.  Obviously the bar will need to be removed, and they also said Playmakers would be replacing Sabor.  I'm super excited for the AMP, going to book an April Oasis sailing while on Navigator next month!  

I look forward to Playmakers replacing Sabor. Sabor on Oasis was not even close to as good as what it was on the Navigator in 2015.

As far as the Abyss, I just think it is ugly. If you really enjoy it... Then I hope it is there for ya. 

Regarding the time the ship may need to cross the Atlantic.

I´ve been on the Eastbound TA on the Oasis in 2014. This was a 12 night cruise with only one stop in Malaga prior to Barcelona out of Port Everglades. We had 9 days at sea and arrived on day 11 in Malaga (with day 1 being Port Everglades, so 10 nights to Malaga). As Malaga is already in the Med while Cadiz is still on the Atlantic Sea it might be 1 night less to arrive in Cadiz. This was regular cruise speed and we might have limped a while plus we had a medical evacuation and stopped at the Bermudas (no we didn´t go into port, the rescue boat came alongside and picked up the patient but we could see land).

And OT: Yes, we Germans do like to plan too and are not booking last minute (especially as most of us have to take a flight to a port). An no, not all Germans have to turn in their vacation time for the whole year at the end of the previous year. There are jobs where you have to do so (especially when you work on shifts like in hospitals, car production or similar). But in regular office jobs (like mine) I only have to check whether I do have appointments and whether one of my collegues is in (and not all gone). I can take off on a short notice.

steamboats

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dry Dock Dave said:

Not quite what happened is it?

The oil level was within operating range, the rough seas caused enough surge in the oil tanks for the pick up to draw in air and drop the oil pressure sufficiently for the safety cut off to activate to prevent damage 

if the engine failed, they wouldn’t have got it to start again 

I only quoted the Uk press release. Technically, the same bottom line, low oil levels. You just explained it better than the press.

However, if I had paid the money to buy that ship I would expect it to withstand rougher seas than that.

My son is working in Alesund and close to where the ship almost grounded. They were never stopped due to conditions.

I just wonder if this might happen in the Caribbean during hurricane season.

Just now, bigeck said:

I only quoted the Uk press release. Technically, the same bottom line, low oil levels. You just explained it better than the press.

However, if I had paid the money to buy that ship I would expect it to withstand rougher seas than that.

My son is working in Alesund and close to where the ship almost grounded. They were never stopped due to conditions.

All ship's engines and tankage arrrangements are designed to meet the same criteria, a list of 25*, and a trim (fore and aft) of 10*.  So, it was a combination of weather and operating at the lower end of the acceptable oil levels that caused the failure.  And the likelihood of all four engines failing at the same time is very small.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigeck said:

I wonder of all of the engines on the Viking ship used a common oil supply.  It would seem like you would want to have multiple oil tanks for different engines in case the oil got contaminated.

6 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

This is really surprising.  Cars are always designed with baffles in the oil tank to prevent oil starvation in extreme maneuvers.   I suspect the design was compromised when they got rid of the old guys with experience.  Or perhaps they eliminated baffles in the oil tank design to reduce cost or save weight.     

Ship's engines do not have oil in the crankcase of the engine, it is in a separate tank below the engine.  And the engine and tankage is designed to operate at at list of 25* and trim (fore and aft) of 10*, with the oil levels in the normal operating range.  Viking Sky was found to be operating at the lower end of the operating range for oil level, and this combined with the weather, likely a combination of pitching and rolling, caused the oil starvation.  The design of these things are not left to the cruise line or the shipyard, they are mandated by the class societies.  As for baffles, because the oil tanks are physically part of the double bottom of the ship's hull, there is an incredible amount of "baffling" from the full web frames.  The tanks will be about 3 meters wide, and 6-8 meters long, and will have full steel walls (with only 18"x24" holes in them to crawl through) about every meter, both fore and aft, and transversely.  Engine sump tanks are some of the worst in the world to crawl through for inspections, since they need to not only provide strength to the hull, but support the engine mounted above them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

All ship's engines and tankage arrrangements are designed to meet the same criteria, a list of 25*, and a trim (fore and aft) of 10*.  So, it was a combination of weather and operating at the lower end of the acceptable oil levels that caused the failure.  And the likelihood of all four engines failing at the same time is very small.

3 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I wonder of all of the engines on the Viking ship used a common oil supply.  It would seem like you would want to have multiple oil tanks for different engines in case the oil got contaminated.

Thanks Cheng for the explanation.

I just find it strange that a relatively new ship had this problem. I would imagine the oil levels are constantly checked and why the computer didn't flag it up earlier.

The ship was very lucky it didn't ground and the anchor held only feet from rocks.

5 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

Chief,

Is the spectrographic analysis done real time automatically (software) reported to the bridge or reported from the ship to a central maintenance database / facility?

I guess my real question is, is "home" updated daily / hourly / weekly / by voyage to make the maintenance  decisions or does a mechanic on board actually have to do a physical test  on a given interval and update home base?

thanks

Alan

First off, the bridge would have no clue what they were looking at with an oil analysis report.  😉.  And things do not happen that suddenly that real time analysis is needed, nor is the equipment available onboard (I've had some oil analysis equipment onboard at ship once, and the ship's rolling made measurements almost impossible to do).  Oil samples are collected on a regular basis (set by the azipod manufacturer, the oil supplier, the class society, and the cruise lines' policies)  and send to labs for analysis, which is typically completed within 24 hours of the lab receiving the samples.  A ship like Oasis likely sends about 30 samples (from various machinery) ashore every 3 months for analysis.  The oil filters on the lubricating system for the azipods will also have a "chip" detector, which is a magnet submerged in the oil, and when a certain amount of magnetic material has collected on the magnet, it changes the resistance of the circuit and sounds an alarm.  This is the cause of many azipod shutdowns that are corrected within an hour or so.

The oil sample analysis reports for all equipment is kept in a database at corporate for fleet analysis, as well as onboard for ship specific analysis, and is reviewed by corporate engineering, ship's engineering, and the class surveyor during his periodic surveys.  Many times, when there are problematic designs, like the early bearings of the AO azipods, the manufacturer will also be copied on the oil analysis report, so that they can apply the data to the worldwide fleet of vessels using those pods, to better design future upgrades to the bearing metallurgy or design.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Each engine has its own sump tank.

• Like 1

I've been checking prices on the Uk Royal site to see if they would drop.

5th £1089pp

12th £699pp

19th £875pp

26th £749pp

A few weeks ago the 5th was cheap at £499pp, but for some reason it went through the roof.

The above prices were from Wednesday.

Sunday morning now and they are now

5th £899. No Inside or Outside left

12th £772 No Inside or Outside left

19th £873 No Inside. Balcony cheaper than Outside

26th £599

Usually with a cruise in danger of cancellation, the prices jump up. Looks like they are confident it will be sorted in time for the 5th sailing. 

11 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Based on the previous failures of Oasis, Allure, and some of the Freedom class, they have a pretty good baseline for failure time on the older OA azipods, and therefore they can better schedule the bearing renewal (pending dock availability, which is always a concern).  They base this maintenance interval on things like previous failure times, and oil condition (spectrographic analysis of metals present in the oil to determine bearing condition), and things like the azipod bearings will experience a long period of excellent wear characteristics, and at a given point, the wear characteristic "turns a corner" and starts to wear more rapidly.  Good engineering is the balance between reliability and cost, and replacing the bearings at this "corner" is the optimum time to complete the maintenance.  Manufacturer's planned maintenance intervals are derived from past performance around the world, and intervals are set to prevent failures.

Exactly!... That and possibly something to do with time intervals between maintenances required by the parts manufacturer listed on their manuals or by the European Union regulations to enter its main territories, or both ones if that matter... Have a nice day!...

4 minutes ago, mousefan73 said:

I’ll be monitoring this all day. Question do ships normally get tugged out of position and then sail on own here?  New to this

Normally yes, but with possible damage to her asipods I think she might be getting towed to Spain by ocean going tugs boats.

The KSM Inesita is a bunker barge.  RT Blackbeard is the towing vessel for the barge.  Ships typically reduce fuel onboard to a minimum when drydocking, especially when weight is a factor like this Oasis "partial drydock".

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

Just now, vacationlover_mn said:

Wow!  That will be a slow trip!  It will be interesting to see how long the trip takes...

Yes, at typical towing speed, that would be 25-38 days.  Don't believe they would be bunkering if they were only going to run hotel load across.

• Like 1