Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

23 minutes ago, above sea level cruiser said:

We are on the May 5th sailing. You are supposed to say: "working perfectly" lol

lol sounds like the difference between my husband and his sales guys for construction projects he's on - he likes to tell it as it is and be more fact based so when he says it will take 3 weeks he's already included probability of delays, knows the skills of who is working, etc.  The sales guys like to keep promising the clients it should be done in 2.  He finds clients prefer his method once they realize after a few rounds the sales guy blow more smoke than facts!  

8 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

lol sounds like the difference between my husband and his sales guys for construction projects he's on - he likes to tell it as it is and be more fact based so when he says it will take 3 weeks he's already included probability of delays, knows the skills of who is working, etc.  The sales guys like to keep promising the clients it should be done in 2.  He finds clients prefer his method once they realize after a few rounds the sales guy blow more smoke than facts!  

So long as the ship arrives in Barcelona on the 5th of May, its all good.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I expect you have many not even passengers on these Oasis sailings such as myself who are rooting for 5/5!!!

The ship leaving Freeport was the first hurdle. The second hurdle was how fast it could go, confirming or dispelling  an Azipod problem,  the third hurdle will be seeing if the damage is in line with what they expected once they get to Cadiz. If we are on it 5/5, all we be golden!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, above sea level cruiser said:

The ship leaving Freeport was the first hurdle. The second hurdle was how fast it could go, confirming or dispelling  an Azipod problem,  the third hurdle will be seeing if the damage is in line with what they expected once they get to Cadiz. If we are on it 5/5, all we be golden!

I have a feeling ALL of RCL is aiming to get you on board!! 🙂

Doing a calculation from Freeport to Cadiz and if it only did 18.4Knots for the entire distance it would be 8days 10 hrs. So as others have said get there on the 16th and then two weeks ish to get everything sorted before it needs to start thinking about moving on to get to Barcelona after a little test. 

All seems do-able. 

Now if someone in Cadiz could actually get some photos this time that would be fantastic. 👍

• Like 2

^ agree. The work they were doing in Freeport was only going to take 5 days. If the ship is going under its own power to Cadiz at normal sailing speeds, there should be no other azipod work that has to be done right now. Even if it is on two pods, they can do the Euro itineraries that way till the big drydock. That just leaves the aquatheater and other crane damage. Even if they don't get all of that done, they won't cancel more cruises because of it. Unless something happens between now and it getting to Cadiz, May 5th is pretty safe. 

58 minutes ago, above sea level cruiser said:

Just as a point of reference, we were on Oasis at the end of January on an Eastern Caribbean cruise, and 18-20 knots was our average cruising speed. If they're doing 18.5 knots now, whatever azipods were working in January are still working.

12 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Just as a point of reference, we were on Oasis at the end of January on an Eastern Caribbean cruise, and 18-20 knots was our average cruising speed. If they're doing 18.5 knots now, whatever azipods were working in January are still working.

At an average of 19 kts following a rhumb line she could be there on Monday, Tuesday at the latest.

7 hours ago, orville99 said:

$404,354,000 million translates to $404.354 Trillion on a financial statement (when you add "million" to a number on a financial statement, you add six zeros - $404,354,000,000,000). RCL's actual Gross revenue before operating expenses (as filed with the SEC) is $4,231.642,000.

I see what you are saying.

$404,354,000 vs $404,354,000 million.  Just drop the extra zeros.

1 hour ago, fsjosh said:

^ agree. The work they were doing in Freeport was only going to take 5 days. If the ship is going under its own power to Cadiz at normal sailing speeds, there should be no other azipod work that has to be done right now. Even if it is on two pods, they can do the Euro itineraries that way till the big drydock. That just leaves the aquatheater and other crane damage. Even if they don't get all of that done, they won't cancel more cruises because of it. Unless something happens between now and it getting to Cadiz, May 5th is pretty safe. 

I think they need to get the aqua theatre up and running.  I’d be pretty pissed if I got on the ship and that whole area was not operational and out of use.

would also have a knock on impact to the rest of the areas and activities on the ship making them that much more busier.

for the record I was a 'navigator' and bridge person for many years .. & Captain as well

the route taken from Freeport is exactly what I would have expected my navigator to propose ..... no surprises there and the speculation about the stops in PR and diversions south have been HUGELY entertaining to read.....

so far as speed now, I'd say 18 to 19 is a very comfortable speed on three "pods" .... pretty much the average cruising speed for the class.

just a passing comment from someone who has experience in the Captain's Chair

WIKI lists max speed as 22.5 knots

anyone the least bit familiar with naval engineering will confirm that the relation of SPEED to HP is NOT linear ...... in other words

To get to 18 knots on two 'engines' (in this case pods) would mean they are probably operating at MAX and if one of three is OUT then doing this is ill advised . . 

while if under THREE they are at an efficient speed . . . 

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just received this in my email.

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We are looking forward to welcoming you aboard Oasis of the Seas on May 5th, when she sets sail from Barcelona for your Western Mediterranean cruise.

While Oasis of the Seas was undergoing repairs to its propulsion system in the Bahamas, an accident occurred damaging the shipyard, as well as our Aqua Theater and some suites onboard. As a result of the damage, the original shipyard is unable to complete our scheduled repairs. Luckily, we’ve found another shipyard in Cadiz, Spain, with immediate availability to repair a ship her size. We are glad to share that all repairs are currently going as planned.

With that said, we’re still assessing the damage to the Aqua Theatre. While our teams are working diligently to ensure it is ready for your sailing, we have also created a “Plan B”, with equally amazing entertainment alternatives, just in case.

We’re committed to keeping you informed every step of the way and we’ll provide another update on April 12th. Thank you for understanding and we can’t wait to see you onboard very soon!

Sincerely,

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CARALOU20 said:

Dear Guest,

We are looking forward to welcoming you aboard Oasis of the Seas on May 5th, when she sets sail from Barcelona for your Western Mediterranean cruise.

While Oasis of the Seas was undergoing repairs to its propulsion system in the Bahamas, an accident occurred damaging the shipyard, as well as our Aqua Theater and some suites onboard. As a result of the damage, the original shipyard is unable to complete our scheduled repairs. Luckily, we’ve found another shipyard in Cadiz, Spain, with immediate availability to repair a ship her size. We are glad to share that all repairs are currently going as planned.

With that said, we’re still assessing the damage to the Aqua Theatre. While our teams are working diligently to ensure it is ready for your sailing, we have also created a “Plan B”, with equally amazing entertainment alternatives, just in case.

We’re committed to keeping you informed every step of the way and we’ll provide another update on April 12th. Thank you for understanding and we can’t wait to see you onboard very soon!

Sincerely,

Nice communication to settle nerves! Have a great trip!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CARALOU20 said:

Dear Guest,

Sincerely,

Nice that they sent out some information.  Bet they are getting a ton of calls and are hoping this will slow those down a bit.

Interesting that they do confirm that they were in Freeport for repairs to the propulsion system, not preventative maintenance. 

18 minutes ago, CARALOU20 said:

Dear Guest,

Sincerely,

Like I said.....finished or not...little doubt they will sail May 5th....lol

40 minutes ago, rattla said:

I think they need to get the aqua theatre up and running.  I’d be pretty pissed if I got on the ship and that whole area was not operational and out of use.

would also have a knock on impact to the rest of the areas and activities on the ship making them that much more busier.

So if you had a once in a lifetime cruise scheduled two years out, would you rather it get cancelled because one part of the ship is out of service or still cruise and have the aquatheater be closed? 

25 minutes ago, CARALOU20 said:

Dear Guest,

Sincerely,

I think thats their way of saying the theater will be closed. If they get it fixed, great, but, in the meantime, go ahead and start preparing guests for it. 

• Like 2