Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

7 hours ago, scottish67 said:

Working on it 🙂 

I did find out that they've replaced the ice skating rink with fresh ice so that's something? Looks like their making good progress on the damage caused by the crane and I think they are due to provide an update on 4/23. 

Do you think that sometime during the accident in Freeport they needed to shut down all of the power on the ship or at least to non-essential areas and the ice melted?    If the ice melted perhaps the water drained out of the ice rink given the angle of the ship after the accident.  Perhaps they didn't have a choice.  It's interested but I suspect that the ice rink won't be part of the 4/23 update.

Working on it [emoji846] 

I did find out that they've replaced the ice skating rink with fresh ice so that's something? Looks like their making good progress on the damage caused by the crane and I think they are due to provide an update on 4/23. 

I am trying to understand what it means that they have replaced the ice....is the ice not actual ice?

We are just getting off Symphony today and we are from MA and traveling with lots of new Englanders - aka hockey players and hockey moms...and we have been discussing the ice conditions all week and how there was a lot or falling in 1977 and that it looked like the ice was not well in certain spots...but that it didn’t seem cold enough in there and they didn’t seem to have a Zamboni to resurface it...?

Is it synthetic or something????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During the Symphony transatlantic they replaced the ice in studio B.  It has to be done every so often. 

They likened it to a freezer at home that every so often needs to be melted and defrosted.

On Oasis it may not have been due for yet but given the lack of passengers they likely decided this was an opportunity to replace the ice with no impact to shows as it takes several days to melt and then replace the ice which is built up slowly by hand watering every 15 minutes for three days.  

You can read about the process of replacing the ice in this Symphony TA thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2598350-symphony-ots-live-transatlantic-oct-28-2018-coming-to-america/?do=findComment&comment=56109215

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Do you think that sometime during the accident in Freeport they needed to shut down all of the power on the ship or at least to non-essential areas and the ice melted?    If the ice melted perhaps the water drained out of the ice rink given the angle of the ship after the accident.  Perhaps they didn't have a choice.  It's interested but I suspect that the ice rink won't be part of the 4/23 update.

Apologies, didn’t mean to be aloof or cause speculation. Below is a picture posted by a crew member from a few days ago that says “ice is ready” which made me believe it hadn’t been ready for whatever reason since the accident. 

671CA740-4E47-4808-BCCD-6991C82A8934.png

During the Symphony transatlantic they replaced the ice in studio B.  It has to be done every so often. 

They likened it to a freezer at home that every so often needs to be melted and defrosted.

On Oasis it may not have been due for yet but given the lack of passengers they likely decided this was an opportunity to replace the ice with no impact to shows as it takes several days to melt and then replace the ice which is built up slowly by hand watering every 15 minutes for three days.  

You can read about the process of replacing the ice in this Symphony TA thread:
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2598350-symphony-ots-live-transatlantic-oct-28-2018-coming-to-america/?do=findComment&comment=56109215

Thank you! This was awesome! That said - the ice on Symphony was pretty lousy compared to my Boston expectations...makes what those skaters do on that small surface even more impressive!

oasis.jpg.3e77e315b4767f9528a90028cdd21ded.jpg&key=3aa9af31836591bacb83255077c545cf767da4025a750f2c670cf5c5d38ded72Just posted by someone on another ship that is in port in Cadiz. Looks like they already have 2 of the replacement balconies mounted. 

That’s great news! It seems like they were able to put together a solid repair plan and had time to make sure all of the supplies were ready! Great logistics team support for these organizations and great job by workers executing these plans!!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, scottish67 said:

Came across this image; slightly better angle of the back of the ship that clearly shows the balcony repairs are well under way. 

Good to see the progress - since time in drydock is money lost for revenue - they're likely throwing "everything they have" at the repairs.

7 minutes ago, Captain Billy Bob said:

Is there another Oasis class under construction they can borrow parts from?

Up the coast in France, but there's no need - all the damaged stuff is probably "regular" steel which the dock already has or can get quickly - they had 2 weeks to plan.

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Up the coast in France, but there's no need - all the damaged stuff is probably "regular" steel which the dock already has or can get quickly - they had 2 weeks to plan.

The brown material sure looks like steel, but I thought much of the top structure of the ship was aluminum to reduce weight and specifically to reduce weight high on the ship to increase stability.

5 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The brown material sure looks like steel, but I thought much of the top structure of the ship was aluminum to reduce weight and specifically to reduce weight high on the ship to increase stability.

They can probably get that too in two weeks.

Biker, who wonders what Herr Hendrik's opinion is of Spanish welder's abilities.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I’d say it’s all steel, as there was some rust on the wall of our deck 17 balcony.

Yes, it is steel.   Those balconies are not really "high up" in the ship, though I don't know how much of Oasis' superstructure is aluminum.  Those balcony sections are fabricated from stock items:  plate steel (computer cut from the ship's plans), steel angles (90* pieces), bulbed angles, possibly some H or I beam, that most shipyards have sitting around by the tens of tons worth, or any steel supplier will have in stock.  The only difficult part is the rolling of the steel plate to conform to the contour of the balcony as the "fishplate" or stiffener, but this is all done by computer these days, so its only a matter of programming the machine correctly.  That "brown" color is really a "rust red" that is used as a shop primer after a piece has been fabricated, and typically leaves an inch or so bare where the final weld needs to go.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, scottish67 said:

Came across this image; slightly better angle of the back of the ship that clearly shows the balcony repairs are well under way. 

3B9E8E26-00FB-4C79-BC4A-08CCF2DE324D.jpeg

It looks like the entire starboard side rock climbing wall is gone?

Just now, A&L_Ont said:

It’s still there. I see it. 

Help me out - all I see is a gray slate wall that looks like it had something removed from it. I can get a glimpse of the port one, but starboard, unless I've gone blind, isn't there. 

7 minutes ago, DerekB said:

Help me out - all I see is a gray slate wall that looks like it had something removed from it. I can get a glimpse of the port one, but starboard, unless I've gone blind, isn't there. 

I squared it off for you. The loading area is just below the square and you can see the glass banister is still there. 

F14A3FCE-3194-49D4-8C38-6A24075E37DD.thumb.jpeg.3b3508130b83b3789143e1644eefd02d.jpeg

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Andrew, I think they may have their port and Starboard backwards.  The rock wall is still there though regardless. 

That’s was I though too. Port is now marked in yellow. The angle does cut a lot off. 

63693CD3-A868-4A06-87C4-A9E2CD8F532B.thumb.jpeg.f124fb1040868ea9ed7eb2194d689a12.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Sorry guys/gals, I don't have the time to read all the 67 pages of this thread. Could somebody provide a Reader's Digest/Cole's Notes version of this thread.  

Thank You 

Ship gets damaged in Grand Bahamas during scheduled azipod repair. RC cancels cruises and TA due to damage to ship.  Ship now in Spain getting fixed before European sailings. 

• Like 3