Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Can I speculate?  With smoke only coming from one stack, that means she is only running engines on that side.  Which engines are running has nothing to do with anything, except that she has 3 larger engines and 3 smaller engines.

This is only one set of the stacks. Can't see the other set. 🤔

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Additional thoughts. Does Oasis only have one scrubber? 

Possible, but don't think so.  Only having a scrubber for some, not all, of the engines would mean that they are playing a trade off game with operating speed while in the ECA's (i.e. only running the engines on the scrubbers while in the ECA, hence slower speed), or adding a non-scrubber engine that has been switched to diesel fuel.  It all comes down to cost analysis and payback periods for the capital expense of the scrubbers versus the increased cost in fuel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of the people booked on the cancelled TA booked on the April 27 12 day TA Norwegian Getaway out of NY.

Friday 8 days before sailing NCL cut 2 days off the itinerary.

Talk about unhappy cruisers. Some of the Oasis refugees are thinking they are jinxed.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

It looks like all the lifeboats are on the loose somewhere. 

Yes, and it’s like herding cats once they get loose lol. (Probably to reduce weight and/or trim the ship while in dry dock.)

0080B647-E352-4DB7-8067-3AD5FB899777.jpeg

Edited by Pratique
  • Like 3

I have been following this topic and have  found it fascinating.  The fact it was almost "real time" was great.  I find everything posted by Chengkp75 on this, and every other topic he posts, to be most insightful.  Seeing all of the lifeboats floating around reminded me that sometimes at the various ports they will release one (or two) lifeboats for crew training, etc.  Maybe they are trying to do it all at once, to get it completed for the next reporting period, or however often they need training, etc.

18 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

I have been following this topic and have  found it fascinating.  The fact it was almost "real time" was great.  I find everything posted by Chengkp75 on this, and every other topic he posts, to be most insightful.  Seeing all of the lifeboats floating around reminded me that sometimes at the various ports they will release one (or two) lifeboats for crew training, etc.  Maybe they are trying to do it all at once, to get it completed for the next reporting period, or however often they need training, etc.

I second this notion. There hasn't been anywhere else I've found, from the various book with faces groups to boards here, that have had anywhere near the amount of information especially so quickly. It is basically a consolidation point of all the information presently available. It's also a very interesting mix of people, from marine experts to professional stalkers (or CIA agents, not sure which).  Also people scattered across various time zones around the world means nearly around the clock updates. All pretty cool!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, twangster said:

Ah the internet.  What exactly did previous generations do without instant access to information?

Speculate over the landline phone or via the written letter (paper & envelopes) with pen pals.

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Speculate over the landline phone or via the written letter (paper & envelopes) with pen pals.

Ah yes the old days with the party line phones - half the neighrborhood could gossip and chat about the other half. 

On 4/21/2019 at 10:13 AM, willde said:

I believe "many were hopeful" about drydock Saturday; doubt if anyone was certain about that; "salt" would be appropriate.

While the thread contains lots of speculation, some wild, I think there has been a decent amount of expert opinion and education as well.

"Just the Facts, ma'am"...I remember that show, and that show was also "Entertaining" Most of us like both...