Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

7 hours ago, Pratique said:

Yes, and it’s like herding cats once they get loose lol. (Probably to reduce weight and/or trim the ship while in dry dock.)

0080B647-E352-4DB7-8067-3AD5FB899777.jpeg

They could also be testing them as required periodically anyway....we got to see them "herding" on a regular cruise while in port....Antigua...

022713 Antigua in Port 9A Harbor Tour_lifeboat test.jpg

022713 Antigua in Port 6 Harbor Tour.jpg

022713 Antigua in Port 9 Harbor Tour_lifeboat test.jpg

Generally, all the lifeboats are taken off the ship in drydock for several reasons.  One is to prevent them from overspray as they paint the hull, also to clean and service the boats, and they may be working to get the statutory weight test of the davit wires done now, or renew the wires.  Every 2.5 years, the wires are tested using a weight that is 125% of the weight of a fully loaded boat.  Every 5 years the wires are renewed, and then a test must be done on the new wires as above.  The Oasis type davits, with the boat hanging outboard of the side of the ship also restricts crane access to the side of the ship below the boats.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

They could also be testing them as required periodically anyway....we got to see them "herding" on a regular cruise while in port....Antigua...

The crew's heads sticking out of the lifeboats reminds me of LEGO minifigures. 😆

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Lloyd555 said:

Well we have now found the mysterious Lloyd from the FB pages on here 🙂 (you just posted that like a moment ago on the Oasis groups so the cat is out of the bag) Thank you for your insights! 

• Haha 1

What they are doing in that video is "fairing" the new balcony section into the ship.  They swing it into as close a position as possible, then note where more metal needs to be trimmed off the ship side, swing it back in, check again, trim again.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Generally, all the lifeboats are taken off the ship in drydock for several reasons.  One is to prevent them from overspray as they paint the hull, also to clean and service the boats, and they may be working to get the statutory weight test of the davit wires done now, or renew the wires.  Every 2.5 years, the wires are tested using a weight that is 125% of the weight of a fully loaded boat.  Every 5 years the wires are renewed, and then a test must be done on the new wires as above.  The Oasis type davits, with the boat hanging outboard of the side of the ship also restricts crane access to the side of the ship below the boats.

With the Oasis having her scheduled 5 year dry dock this fall I would have thought that all that testing would have been done then.  

Would there be a possibility that they could complete all the maintenance, repairs and inspections that require the use of the dry dock during this unscheduled dry dock and then in the fall just do all the cosmetic changes that they were planning on without using the dry dock potentially saving some money.  I’m assuming that the time in the dry dock costs more than being berthed at a pier. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

With the Oasis having her scheduled 5 year dry dock this fall I would have thought that all that testing would have been done then.

+1 That makes sense to me. But who knows.

Maybe it's just playtime for the kitties.

skjnzs.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Would there be a possibility that they could complete all the maintenance, repairs and inspections that require the use of the dry dock during this unscheduled dry dock and then in the fall just do all the cosmetic changes that they were planning on without using the dry dock potentially saving some money.  I’m assuming that the time in the dry dock costs more than being berthed at a pier. 

I am sure any low hanging fruit they can get done now they will - not sure if that will mean not having to go into true drydock or not, but whatever they can do now and not then they will (and they will then plan for other things). 

6 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes, but doing things early that you can, will save headaches at the later drydock.  Unlikely that they would get everything done in this docking that is required, as you never know what surprises will be found when the dock goes empty, and so you need to have a lot of "contingency" spares on hand, like thruster seals, stabilizer seals, things like that that they most likely have ordered for the fall drydock, and aren't ready on this short notice.  There is also always the "surprise" of a dent in the lower hull that no one ever felt happen, and suddenly requires repair.  It's always a tense time when you do the first walk through the drydock looking for these unexpected problems.  Not to mention the stinking fish.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, but doing things early that you can, will save headaches at the later drydock.  Unlikely that they would get everything done in this docking that is required, as you never know what surprises will be found when the dock goes empty, and so you need to have a lot of "contingency" spares on hand, like thruster seals, stabilizer seals, things like that that they most likely have ordered for the fall drydock, and aren't ready on this short notice.  There is also always the "surprise" of a dent in the lower hull that no one ever felt happen, and suddenly requires repair.  It's always a tense time when you do the first walk through the drydock looking for these unexpected problems.  Not to mention the stinking fish.

Would Royal need to be careful about completing maintenance and inspections of items that are required at specific intervals?  If they complete some items now and the remainder in the fall would that then move her next scheduled dry dock forward by 6 months.  I’m assuming that the cruise lines are looking to keep the time at sea between dry docks to a maximum.

16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Would Royal need to be careful about completing maintenance and inspections of items that are required at specific intervals?  If they complete some items now and the remainder in the fall would that then move her next scheduled dry dock forward by 6 months.  I’m assuming that the cruise lines are looking to keep the time at sea between dry docks to a maximum.

There is a time frame "window" on completion of inspections, and until all the required inspections are completed, the statutory drydock interval is not completed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, above sea level cruiser said:

I'm actually surprised they took her in bow first to work on the pods. I would have thought having the ship reverse in would make more logistical sense. Then again, I'm not there and they never asked me what I thought.

I’m happy to see that she fits properly, not the jury rigged half-in-half-out setup in the Bahamas. Now they have room to work without worrying about getting trapped in a cofferdam. The right tools for the job so to speak. I understand that the options were limited on this side of the pond, but with soon to be five of these mega ships it might be time to consider a better arrangement. Just thinking out loud....

38 minutes ago, above sea level cruiser said:

I'm actually surprised they took her in bow first to work on the pods. I would have thought having the ship reverse in would make more logistical sense. Then again, I'm not there and they never asked me what I thought.

Makes no difference bow in or bow out, except that the inshore end of the dock is rounded, so it is closer shaped to the bow.  The work on the pods is all done underneath the ship, and as long as there is clearance to lift parts in and out behind the ship, all is good.  Most of the rigging is done to the hull itself, so the ship holds up the propellers and shafts of the pods when they are taken out and put back in.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Makes no difference bow in or bow out, except that the inshore end of the dock is rounded, so it is closer shaped to the bow.  The work on the pods is all done underneath the ship, and as long as there is clearance to lift parts in and out behind the ship, all is good.  Most of the rigging is done to the hull itself, so the ship holds up the propellers and shafts of the pods when they are taken out and put back in.

I read your description about the two sets of support patterns so that all of the hull eventually gets painted.   I've always wondered about that.  However from the one shot of the bow it looks like they have a solid line of supports along the centerline of the hull.  I'd need to see more of the support pattern but I'm not sure I see how the centerline of the ship ever gets painted.

8 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I read your description about the two sets of support patterns so that all of the hull eventually gets painted.   I've always wondered about that.  However from the one shot of the bow it looks like they have a solid line of supports along the centerline of the hull.  I'd need to see more of the support pattern but I'm not sure I see how the centerline of the ship ever gets painted.

I see what you mean.  This is an unusual blocking pattern, and not sure why the yard did that, but it is obvious that they aren't looking to paint the underwater hull this docking, or the blocks would be spaced properly.  The centerline blocks are typically about every third block shown in that photo, but in some areas of high stress like the bow thruster tunnels, the blocking may be closer.  Sometimes the yard places blocks where they shouldn't, and this covers up things like fathometer sensors, or sea chests, and the blocks need to be chain sawed out to remove them.

If you look at this photo:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjf7rfW7OXhAhWhg-AKHaEgD4cQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fboards.cruisecritic.com.au%2Ftopic%2F1886404-oasis-dry-dock%2Fpage%2F2%2F&psig=AOvVaw0JBNzHTlGq9xWQ5suZNDtn&ust=1556096249880382

you'll see a more conventional blocking for Oasis, with spacing between the blocks under the thrusters just enough to allow for the blocks to be between at the next docking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

I see what you mean.  This is an unusual blocking pattern, and not sure why the yard did that, but it is obvious that they aren't looking to paint the underwater hull this docking, or the blocks would be spaced properly.  The centerline blocks are typically about every third block shown in that photo, but in some areas of high stress like the bow thruster tunnels, the blocking may be closer.  Sometimes the yard places blocks where they shouldn't, and this covers up things like fathometer sensors, or sea chests, and the blocks need to be chain sawed out to remove them.

If you look at this photo:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjf7rfW7OXhAhWhg-AKHaEgD4cQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fboards.cruisecritic.com.au%2Ftopic%2F1886404-oasis-dry-dock%2Fpage%2F2%2F&psig=AOvVaw0JBNzHTlGq9xWQ5suZNDtn&ust=1556096249880382

you'll see a more conventional blocking for Oasis, with spacing between the blocks under the thrusters just enough to allow for the blocks to be between at the next docking.

Thanks for the feedback and the other set of pictures.  I suspect that your correct, they don't plan on any underwater hull painting at this docking.  Perhaps this is just easier.  Instead of measuring the position of each block, they just fill the entire region that can have supports.

Still, this surprises me.  Even if they were not planning on doing actual hull work I would have thought they would use a conventional blocking pattern for inspection purposes, to reduce the incidence of surprises at the scheduled dry dock.

Roy

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Still, this surprises me.  Even if they were not planning on doing actual hull work I would have thought they would use a conventional blocking pattern for inspection purposes, to reduce the incidence of surprises at the scheduled dry dock.

Roy

It does make sense that if this unplanned dry dock was going to be done...leveraging the opportunity for other tasks that were known to come up anyway in 6 months or less could save time and money later. 

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:55 PM, CARALOU20 said:

The Lastest Update. Mostly already what we know. 

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We’ve been hard at work getting Oasis of the Seas ready for your May 5th cruise. As promised, here is an update.

• Oasis of the Seas is crossing the Atlantic Ocean, making her way to Cadiz, Spain.
  • While at sea, we continue to make progress on the necessary repairs.
  • We’ll arrive in Cadiz on April 18th, where we’ll complete the maintenance to the propulsion system and finalize repairs.

We’ll share our next update with you on April 23rd and will provide more information on the AquaTheater’s progress, as well.

Thank you again for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Did you receive the update RCCL promised for today? We are on the May 12th sailing and anxious to hear. Thanks!

I am guessing today's pending update was timed to match after they have had some time to look at her in drydock. It is starting to get towards the end of the day so I'm ever so tiny bit concerned (even though I do not have any skin in the game).