Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

Not many picture in dry dock.  I was hoping to see the Azopod work but I guess u like Freeport no pictures from Spain.  I will assume u like Captain Kate on Celebrity that this Captain does not post like of pictures on Instagram.  

2 hours ago, scottish67 said:

Nothing really new in this pics but saw them this morning. From what I can tell most of the crew are exploring Cadiz for the next few days until they (hopefully) have to go back to work at the end of this week. I’m sure there will be more images the closer we get to the 5/5 sailing. 

8291FCC9-EE5E-49B9-AF94-6B61D3291F8E.png

9CB4C014-1CB2-43D6-B412-2F797F64F04B.png

Thank You for posting! I guess we will just assume that all is on schedule and with the exception of the Aqua Theatre pool lifts, everything will work perfectly!

On 4/2/2019 at 1:25 PM, chengkp75 said:

Can't say what is scheduled, but Equinox could fit in dock #3 (longer, but narrower than #2), depending on her displacement tonnage.  Dock #3 can lift 50,000 tons, which is probably pretty close to the displacement of a cruise ship with 125,000 gross tons.

Well I posted early on this thread about what are they going to now do with the Celebrity equinox which is scheduled for a month long dry dock in GBSY......Well it's now being reported on the Celebrity board that they are sending the Equinox over to Cadiz for dry dock also using 2 weeks of it's 1 month dry dock just in transport back and forth.The saga continues down the line now. 

Edited by bajathree

1 hour ago, scottish67 said:

Came across a selfie a crew member took two days ago with Oasis in the background. Looks like they’ve replaced the aqua theater screen that took the brunt of the damage (I circled it in red) 

C14A3030-2702-49F2-9625-24436A1117F9.jpeg

How do you find this information!!!!!????? You must be very well connected somehow - thank you for all you do in helping us get information.

2 hours ago, above sea level cruiser said:

I'm guessing the ship will need to leave Cadiz on the morning of Friday the 3rd of April to make it to Barcelona by the 5th?

It'll need to leave dry dock before that. It'll need to do sea trials for the Azipod repair I'm sure. 

19 hours ago, above sea level cruiser said:

I'm guessing the ship will need to leave Cadiz on the morning of Friday the 3rd of April to make it to Barcelona by the 5th?

I'm guessing it won't leave until May. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, arasg said:

Nice new coat of paint....still need to put the name on...lol

oasisdock.JPG.1906a4aa6401e3f50a6fbaf93b99ebdf.JPG

Beat me to it! I was going to post the same thing. Based on social media postings, it looks like the crew is starting to prepare to leave Cádiz and head to Barcelona. 

Also, random question since I’m an amateur with nautical terms. What does it mean when the crew say they are on “Fire watch?”. Does that literally mean they are watching the ship for signs of a fire? Thanks! 

13 minutes ago, scottish67 said:

Also, random question since I’m an amateur with nautical terms. What does it mean when the crew say they are on “Fire watch?”. Does that literally mean they are watching the ship for signs of a fire? Thanks! 

I think so, especially when there is hot work (welding, grinding, etc.) going on.

1 hour ago, scottish67 said:

Beat me to it! I was going to post the same thing. Based on social media postings, it looks like the crew is starting to prepare to leave Cádiz and head to Barcelona. 

Yes, there is a lot of burning and welding being done in shipyard.  It is cheaper for the cruise line to provide labor that they are already paying for (crew like cabin stewards, bar staff) to provide fire watch, than to hire them from the shipyard.  They are stationed in the areas where burning and welding are being done, with a fire extinguisher, and told to watch where the sparks fly and to ensure that those sparks don't start a fire.  They will also be stationed on the other side of the deck or bulkhead from where the welding/burning is going on, since the heat from these operations can cause the paint on the other side of the steel to start to burn.  Many times fire watch is also set up when a lot of grinding is being done (lots of that in conjunction with burning and welding as well), as this produces sparks as well.  The person doing the welding/burning is focused on the job at hand, and frequently does not even notice that their clothing has started to smolder from a spark, so the fire watch is imperative.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, scottish67 said:

5 hours ago, Pratique said:

I think so, especially when there is hot work (welding, grinding, etc.) going on.

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, there is a lot of burning and welding being done in shipyard.  It is cheaper for the cruise line to provide labor that they are already paying for (crew like cabin stewards, bar staff) to provide fire watch, than to hire them from the shipyard.  They are stationed in the areas where burning and welding are being done, with a fire extinguisher, and told to watch where the sparks fly and to ensure that those sparks don't start a fire.  They will also be stationed on the other side of the deck or bulkhead from where the welding/burning is going on, since the heat from these operations can cause the paint on the other side of the steel to start to burn.  Many times fire watch is also set up when a lot of grinding is being done (lots of that in conjunction with burning and welding as well), as this produces sparks as well.  The person doing the welding/burning is focused on the job at hand, and frequently does not even notice that their clothing has started to smolder from a spark, so the fire watch is imperative.

Oh I just had a flash back from my Navy days!😓

11 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Thanks for the explanation! Makes perfect sense. Also, found this image tonight if the Aqua cast about to depart for Spain. 

37B8CC28-F6AE-4362-98D1-602593552E40.jpeg

• Like 4

Royal Caribbean Reports Record First Quarter Earnings

On April 1, 2019, Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas was undergoing maintenance at the Grand Bahama Shipyard when an accident involving the drydock caused two construction cranes to collapse on the stern of the ship.  The damage to the ship was extensive and the ship had to go to a dock in Europe for repairs.  As a result, the ship was taken out of service for almost a month and is expected to return back to service for its normally scheduled May 5, 2019 sailing.  The company estimates the direct financial impact of this unusual event, net of insurance, will be a reduction of approximately $0.25 per share to the company's full year Adjusted EPS, mostly driven by lost revenue.

The $0.25 estimate from Royal Caribbean is significantly more than the analysis were forecasting a month ago.

On 4/2/2019 at 1:45 PM, bajathree said:

http://www.seatrade-*****/news/news-headlines/giant-crane-collapse-injures-eight-at-grand-bahama-shipyard.html

UBS speculates on possible EPS impact

'It seems likely that two weeks of sailings could be canceled if the ship has to be moved to another yard to finish its scheduled drydock,' UBS said in a note to investors, adding that Royal Caribbean would likely compensate passengers to the tune of what could be equivalent to almost another sailing.

Worst-case scenario

'We estimate that four weeks of lost revenue on the 5,400-berth Oasis could add up to 12 cents to 15 cents per share, which would be about 1-2% of FY earnings and about 5-6% of Q2 EPS—and that seems like a worst-case scenario,' UBS analyst Robin Farley said.

'We would think it likely that the yard insurance covers the cost of any damage and that the yard insurance may even be responsible for some of the canceled sailings since they were contracted to have the ship back in service,' Farley added. 'So we emphasize that our estimate of EPS impact, which is fairly immaterial to the full year, may be a more negative scenario than the actual impact once insurance coverage is resolved.'