Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
br111

Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

Any news of the damaged floating drydock in Freeport? Repair time?

 

There is an unconfirmed rumor that Allure may try to get her propulsion issue worked on at GBSY in the September time frame based on the estimated return to service of the damaged dry dock.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful to see her readying to ‘pick up the chicks’ and finally set off to Barcelona and warm regards to those of you sailing on the 5th. 

 

We were sad to lose our TA on her but are keeping our ‘fingers crossed’ Royal will schedule a Westbound TA later in the year perhaps to recoup a small bit of revenue.

 

Apart from looking daily at RCCL’s ‘Ocean Voyages’ option on their destination tab, is there another way I can find out if they announce a TA this year?

 

Thank you - Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, twangster said:

 

There is an unconfirmed rumor that Allure may try to get her propulsion issue worked on at GBSY in the September time frame based on the estimated return to service of the damaged dry dock.  

Not by this thread...Allure just changed a bunch of itineraries including dates past Sept.

 

Edited by bajathree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twangster said:

 

There is an unconfirmed rumor that Allure may try to get her propulsion issue worked on at GBSY in the September time frame based on the estimated return to service of the damaged dry dock.  

I am on the October 6 Allure and earlier today received a notice that because of the propulsion problems San Juan is now being substituted for St. Thomas.  Although I wish that Allure rumor was true, it does not appear to be the case, at least as it related to the October 6 cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pratique said:

 

It is simply amazing the amount of work these dockyards can complete in such a short time frame. Repairs are sometimes more work than if it was new work. Cadiz is obviously a professional operation. From the looks of things, they have the right tools and equipment to do things properly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's still sitting there just outside the drydock. I wouldn't think it would take that long to reload the lifeboats would it? 

 

From today. It looks like the destroyed screen is good as new. 

1738543769_ScreenShot2019-05-02at4_25_52PM.png.a9f2adc5cf3c8e83c884dd872674a7d5.png

 

2 hours ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

I am on the October 6 Allure and earlier today received a notice that because of the propulsion problems San Juan is now being substituted for St. Thomas.  Although I wish that Allure rumor was true, it does not appear to be the case, at least as it related to the October 6 cruise.

 

Just hope it's not true and they decide to do it the week of October 6th :-X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

It's still sitting there just outside the drydock. I wouldn't think it would take that long to reload the lifeboats would it?

She was last seen headed out to sea, now out of AIS range.

 

 

O14.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Pratique said:

She was last seen headed out to sea, now out of AIS range.

 

 

 

 

My marinetraffic wasn't reloading for some reason. All good now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Now in the Strait of Gibraltar:

 

image.thumb.png.0f8d56fd1341dc935c8a0b1a5edd22c1.png

Edited by willde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, above sea level cruiser said:

It is simply amazing the amount of work these dockyards can complete in such a short time frame. Repairs are sometimes more work than if it was new work. Cadiz is obviously a professional operation. From the looks of things, they have the right tools and equipment to do things properly. 

European quality work! 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, twangster said:

 

There is an unconfirmed rumor that Allure may try to get her propulsion issue worked on at GBSY in the September time frame based on the estimated return to service of the damaged dry dock.  

I say they get the crane up.... and have another unscheduled TA to get it fixed properly.... RCI management... 👍🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

European quality work! 👍

Actually service & repair work comes down to having the right dry dock equipment/facilities...as well as trained personnel. Royal has actually cited that multiple times...not just in this case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Actually service & repair work comes down to having the right dry dock equipment/facilities...as well as trained personnel. Royal has actually cited that multiple times...not just in this case. 

So why didn't they do it right the first time? 🤔 😁🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

So why didn't they do it right the first time? 🤔 😁🤣

It's been repeated posted that the dry dock facilities in the Bahamas are basically adequate for the mega ships...but not fully equipped to handle them the same as a few other ports (like Cadiz). Things like cranes in particular are optimum and stationary in Cadiz (for example), in contrast to the kind that led to the servicing accident event for Oasis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

It's been repeated posted that the dry dock facilities in the Bahamas are basically adequate for the mega ships...but not fully equipped to handle them the same as a few other ports (like Cadiz). Things like cranes in particular are optimum and stationary in Cadiz (for example), in contrast to the kind that led to the servicing accident event for Oasis.

So RCI management was playing around in the Bahamas... 👍🙄😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

So RCI management was playing around in the Bahamas... 👍🙄😁

Nope. It's a less costly dry dock alternative that doesn't require re-positioning.  It also has been done successfully numerous times on Oasis and other ships at the Bahamas facility. This was an anomaly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will Oasis go on the planned drydock in september? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

European quality work! 👍

 

What about those French welds. 😱

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

 

What about those French welds. 😱

 

These are Spanish welds. Much stronger! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, nashirak said:

 

These are Spanish welds. Much stronger! 😁

 

O15.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

They added some Gaudi elements.... how need! 👍 🙃 😁

Excellent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stalek said:

Will Oasis go on the planned drydock in september? 

 

Is that when it's scheduled to be AMP'd up?

 

I would think so, no reason not to. It's already on the schedule. Otherwise it might be a few more years as they already have several other ships scheduled for AMPing into 2021 (I think)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

European quality work! 👍

 

8 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I say they get the crane up.... and have another unscheduled TA to get it fixed properly.... RCI management... 👍🙄

 

5 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Actually service & repair work comes down to having the right dry dock equipment/facilities...as well as trained personnel. Royal has actually cited that multiple times...not just in this case. 

While I am an admirer of European shipyards in general, I have had good and bad experiences in European shipyards, and have had good work done in Caribbean and US shipyards as well.

 

Not sure what you keep harping on the crane about.  The crane did not cause the problem, the crane collapsed because the drydock sank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...